Germany-2017 Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, May 6, 2017.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Germany - here are some highlights from the stadium... hope u enjoy...

Cris 09, hava, The Jitty Slitter and 5 others repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lars Stindl Interview
    "Lars, you scored the match-winning goal in the final. What does that mean to you?

Stindl: It’s an unbelievable feeling to score in such an important match, but of course a lot of credit needs to go to Timo Werner. The goal was the result of an incredible team performance. We are unbelievably happy and proud to have won the tournament. Winning the final is the crowning achievement of the past four weeks.

Can you tell us a bit more about the goal?

Stindl: Timo latched onto the loose ball and squared it into the box, where I was standing about six yards in front of an open goal. Of course, you can’t afford to make any mistakes in such an important match. I kept my cool and slotted the ball into the net.

With three goals, you are level with Leon Goretzka and Timo Werner at the top of the tournament top goal scorer list. Is that the icing on the cake for you?

Stindl: It’s a bonus, but I’m simply happy to be playing and scoring important goals for the national team.

What have you learnt from your time playing with the national first team?

Stindl: I’ve learnt a lot from the experience, it was great. I’ll take a lot with me, from playing in the tournament, the warm-ups and even training exercises.

What do you think about the introduction of in-game video replays?

Stindl: As players, we should be open to new developments to in-game technology. Video replays have a positive influence on the game. Sometimes it takes a while to reach a final decision and that’s not ideal. We do need to minimise this waiting time, but then again, it’s completely normal in the testing phase of a new piece of technology. I think It will change football for the better in the future.

Now you can finally start your summer break. What do you have planned and when are you returning to Gladbach?

Stindl: Today the national team are travelling back to Germany, then I will go home before going straight on holiday with my family. I’ll be able to relax and reflect on the season. I still have to discuss my exact return date to Gladbach with the coaching staff. I think it will be the week after the training camp.

After an intense season, are you already looking forward to the next one?

Stindl: Of course. I’m mainly looking forward to seeing all the boys again, it’s been a while. I’m also looking forward to getting to know the new players. And of course, I’m excited to begin a fresh, new season at Borussia Mönchengladbach."
    https://www.borussia.de/english/team/news/borussia-news/news-detailansicht.html?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=26084&cHash=69b426f4a181de9f3421857f52d5d450

3. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    Chile are the most aggressive team I've ever seen, not sure if there's any team, including the official Germany team, can hold up possession against them. :rolleyes:

Boandlkramer repped this.
  4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I agree, although it is the case that the schedule was in Chile's favor during this tournament. They had an extra day of rest against Germany in both the group game and in the Final. If the situation had been reversed and Germany had the extra days of rest, we might have seen a less aggressive style of play from Chile.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think our A-team could pass out of the press, but it would be tough.

6. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    #781 BMGuy, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    I want to see that, Portugal, especially Argentina... all failed to do that. Maybe they're the best team to play possession game at the moment.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/971932/Live/International-Copa-America-2015-Chile-Argentina
    2015: Chile 57%

http://www.espnfc.us/matchstats?gameId=431576 Chile(60%) - Argentina WC 2017 QC

http://www.espnfc.us/matchstats?gameId=485908 Chile (59%) vs Portugal
    Incredible physical strength, any secret they can do that :D

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Argentina isn't a possession based team at all. Nor is Portugal

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Chile's press would be run ragged by:

Reus/Brandt - Werner - Mueller - Sane
    Ilkay/Mesut/Mo - Kroos
    Weigl
    Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
    Neuer​

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who won the golden glove again? Ter Stegen had a good tourney as I recall.

But yeah, this was a great experience for us. A lot of players upped their stock in Russia and made Löw hsve even more selection headaches come 2018..

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bravo won the Golden glove and Sanchez the Silver Ball. Leno is the one with a bad tourney, Ter Stegen played well.

I think it's also nice for the players that would otherwise have no chance in the NT to at least have 1 trophy and 1 time experience with the NT. Players like Younes, Demirbay and a few others are unlikely to make it in the future.

but yeah good experience for the player, it also means that plenty of the WC18 squad will have already played in Russia. I would rather the CC be the tournament in 2017 for Goretzka, Werner and all the other youth than the EC U21. It's also good give them their senior NT tournament experience before the WC. One can say the U21 of the CC have overtaken the U21 of the U21 EC in Low's mind, who seem like none will make it unless there are injuries.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there it is.

we are officially the last Confederations Cup Winner in History!!!!!!:laugh:

glad that we at least won it once otherwise it would have been one FIFA tournament that we played 3 times without a trophy.