Germany-2017 Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, May 6, 2017.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I looked up and was unable to find any thread for this upcoming tournament. The German player thread is for the season play for all German players in any league and the other thread is for news and discussions. Neither are for the tournament.

This is a tournament that Germany has never won. This is our 3rd qualification.
    First was in 1999 in Mexico where we only beat New Zealand while losing to the US and Brazil.
    Result: 1st round exit.

Second was in 2005 at home in Germany where we won 3rd place after losing to Brazil in the semi-final round.

Now our 3rd tournament is the 2017 Confederations Cup.
    Group A
    [​IMG] Russia (H)
    2 [​IMG] New Zealand
    3 [​IMG] Portugal
    4 [​IMG] Mexico

Group B
    [​IMG] Cameroon
    2 [​IMG] Chile
    3 [​IMG] Australia
    4 [​IMG] Germany

our schedule is
    June 19 Germany vs Australia
    June 22 Germany vs Chile
    June 25 Germany vs Cameroon

It was said this week that the squad will be announced on Wednesday May 17, 2017.
    We also know that plenty of regulars will be rested and that Low wants this tournament to be mostly a perspective one. Where the team will be mostly comprised of young and untested players in order to give these players of the future some international experience. So we are essentially sending out a B-team.

Our biggest threats seem to be Chile, Portugal and Mexico. Who I suspect will send out their A-teams. All the more glorious if we win.:D

It's time to finally win this tournament that's very hard to qualify for and end our 3 year trophy drought!!!!:p

BorisG repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will be interesting as the U21 is also playing at that time....
    Reus should be happy to play for the NT at some point! Well lets see.

Ger90 repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus wants rest because he wants to play at the WC 18 and because he's consistently injured. While Low has said that he wants him to get back into the NT fray now since he hasn't played for the NT in so long. Even going as far as saying he wanted Reus to spearhead the attack at the CC.

and agree about the U21 vs Confederations Cup. Both squads are being announced on the same day. Will be interesting to see which youngsters will make which tournament. Although I suspect that the youngsters that keep being called up during the year to the seniors will make the Confederations Cup. Players like Kimmich, Brandt, Sane etc.

5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also a good time to include some of the older guys again like the
    Old Ones
    Benders, Hahn, Hoffman, Badstuber, Rudi,Bellrabi , Hermann, Kramer-
    Youngsters
    Kimmich , Kruse, Gnarby, Werner, Rudiger, Sule, Brandt, CAN, Gintner, Volland and Weigl for sure-
    Injured out of form
    Goetze , Reus and Gundogan all with problems over the last years injuries if they fit they should go.
    Not Sure if to take or to leave to rest
    Sane, Draxler, Mustafi, Schurrle, Gomez
    Resting players
    Oezil, Muller, Boa, Hummels, Kroos, Khedira,Howedes, Hector,Neuer

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gundogan is not making it for sure, transfermarkt has his return at June 29, 2017. The tournament would be over by that point. Too bad that he and Reus have only played 1 tourney which was Euro 2012. Gotze is confirmed out. Which only leaves Reus on that list.

to your list I would add Stindl and Goretzka. Although I think Hector needs to make the tourney. He needs better experience at Left back as he seems to be Low's 1st choice.

speaking of full backs, we need to take players that play in those roles for the CC and give them practice. Also any possible suspensions during the tournament. Any ideas to which players? Henrichs?

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so here seems to be the players that the forum seem to nominate for a long while now or from recent nominations.

GK: Ter Stegen, Leno, Trapp
    Defenders: Kimmich, Mustafi, Hector, Rudiger, Sule, Howedes, Tah, Henrichs, Gerhardt, Badstuber, Plattenhardt, Ginter

Midfield: Draxler, Can, Sane, Brandt, Goretzka, Weigl, Gnabry, Bellarabi, Reus, Younes, Hermann, Hoffman, Kramer, Rudy

Strikers: Volland, Kruse, Werner, Stindl, Wagner

others mentioned: S Bender, L Bender, Weiser, Stark, Dahoud, Philipp, Gomez, Schurrle

that in total amounts to 42 players for a 23 man squad....

did I miss any other players that you guys think should be mentioned? Of course some are either being rested or could be injured or are going to the U21 in the end.

BorisG repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    according to this
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/fu...er-fuer-confed-cup-u-21-em-2017-15007223.html

confirms that
    Gotze, Gundogan, Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Khedira, Howedes, Kroos, Muller, Ozil are not participating.

while
    Gomez, Draxler, Mustafi, Hector seem headed towards the Confederations Cup.

and they have a dilemma when it comes to numerous players about which tournament to go to. They also mention that participating in the U21 is not an indication that a player won't make the WC.

BorisG and HomietheClown repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #9 Ger90, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I had the same injury (Weber B) including two surgeries and after 16 month I'm still not fully fit - swimming and biking are the only sports I'm able to do. Even with these crazy doctors, imo it would be a wonder if he's ready for professional football 3 months from now.

In most cases most of the ligaments around the ankle are ripped apart, especially the syndesmosis and all the screws and titan that will be used is problematic too, because there is so few tissue between the bone and the skin - not to speak of the risks of fouls and hit against the ankle..

It's a horror injury for sure.

http://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/focus/ankle-fractures

Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Werner goes to the Confederations Cup after almost singlehandedly beating Bayern. His play is too good to be downgraded to the U21.

against Bayern, he was involved in all 4 goals.
    First goal: Werner was involved in the set up to that early goal. Had his back to Bayern's goal on the half-way line. He drew 2 defenders which opened up space to Forsberg. And then all it took was an overhead kick from him which reached Forsberg perfectly. Who then proceeded to run and cross the ball to Sabitzer.

2nd goal:He scored the penalty but before that he had the ball, drew 2 defenders to him, before quickly passing the ball to Forsberg, who directly went in that small open space that Werner caused and was subsequently taken down as he was otherwise in.

3rd goal: was created from his run and cross from the right-wing.

4th goal: a solo effort and goal, going between 2 defenders before quickly shooting under Starke's legs from such a tight angle.

and that doesn't include hitting the post once. Stealing the ball from Bayern numerous times. Outrunning the Bayern defense and creating numerous chances for his teammates.

if he can play like this against a top club like Bayern. I'm interested to see him play vs other countries. Especially given that the German NT has better players than RB.

13. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Guys so have been following too much , but is Werner a new German Striker with potential.... some one who could be a big Name ... Germany hasn't really produced any strikers lately , Klose was also many years back, Gomez I guess wasnt to bad overall, but players like Bierhoff, Klinsmann, Riedle , Voller and Rummenigge have not been around lately.

Ger90 repped this.
  14. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you look at the Kicker averages(Kicker note), on a per game basis he is rated 2nd best striker(11th overall) in the bundesliga after Levie...also noteable he had 30 starts players Like Robben/Ribery who head up this list only played 21/17 games respectivley. Also a quite a few Goalies on the list above him...
    4th as top striker - total goals scored
    3rd under scorers list (goals and created goals)

Seems he was one of the best German players in the Budesliga this season. Any of you think this boy has what it takes or just a once off season?

Ger90 repped this.
  15. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Have not been following to much!

Ger90 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What Werner has is tons of potential to be our next big striker. It's why he should go to the Confederations Cup.

he keeps breaking records, he's the highest scoring less than 22 years old (he's 21) in the Bundesliga since Dieter Muller back in the 1974-1975 season.

comparison Dieter Muller
    24 goals in 34 games

Werner
    21 goals in 31 games.

so Werner is 3 goals less while play 3 games less. He also only has 1 game left, so he actually could have beaten Dieter if he didn't miss any games.

even if you compare him to Gomez are last successful striker Werner did better than him at that age.

Low also called Werner a player with World class potential and likened him with Luis Suarez.

17. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow that would be great ... We havent had a top class striker for years... We could do with one.. its the one element our NT was always missing

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh, this is interesting according to this.

Kimmich, Stindl and Younes will be in the Confederations Cup Squad.

also mentions that Werner and Goretzka will be at the CC too!!!!
    http://www.sport1.de/fussball/confe...se-nur-ein-spieler-vom-fc-bayern-im-dfb-kader

from other reports sounds like
    Kimmich, Stindl, Younes, Werner, Goretzka, Gomez, Hector, Draxler, Mustafi are going.

I would also add we need some full backs too. We can do better than forcing Kimmich in that position and Hector. I like Hector and he's solid but would be nice to have a better player in that position.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who is the better German LB?

Plattenhardt ? I don't Think there is any

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    for now there aren't many, but we can always find one in the future. Just like our need to find a new striker could come to an end soon. Something that took a few years.

as for LB, there are more German RB in the league than left. I think Hector will do for now.
    As for Plattenhardt, I haven't watched enough of Hertha to see his play to rate him.

good news is that Koln could potentially qualify for the Europa whether from the League or if Dortmund win the German Cup. So Hector could play for the 1st time in Europe next season. That could be good experience in anticipation of the WC.

And Hertha are a shoe-in, although I think if Plattenhardt doesn't make the CC then less likely Low will try him before the WC.

I've always believed that huge chance that both Kimmich and Hector will be going to the CC. Because they are Low's 1st choice in RB and LB and they need more International experience playing there.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    in anticipation of the Squad announcement tomorrow,
    here's a throwback to all the players playing their 1st ever tournament which was a CC.

-Robert Enke
    -Thomas Linke
    -Mustafa Dogan
    -Ronald Maul
    -Heiko Gerber
    -Paul Rink
    -Oliver Neuville
    -Frank Baumann
    -Lars Ricken
    -Horst Heldt
    -Michael Preetz
    -Bernd Schneider
    -Dariusz Wosz
    -Michael Ballack

-Robert Huth
    -Per Mertesacker
    -Christian Schulz
    -Patrick Owomoyela
    -Marco Engelhardt
    -Thomas Hitzlsperger
    -Tim Borowski
    -Mike Hanke

Not all amounted to something for the NT. But there is still a decent amount of players on this list that had plenty of contributions to the NT.

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #24 Ger90, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    these seem to be the players that I keep seeing mentioned in the last day.

Goalkeepers: Ter Stegen, Leno, Trapp
    Defense: Kimmich, Hector, Rudiger, Rudy, Sule, Mustafi, Henrichs, Tah, Orban
    Midfield: Can, Goretzka, Brandt, Demirbay, Draxler, Sane, Meyer, Gnabry, Younes, Bellarabi,
    Attack: Gomez, Werner, Stindl, Kruse, Schurrle.

That's 27 players for a 23 man squad. Although I think some on the list fit more U21. I don't think Meyer for example played a good season to be on the team. Also not sure about Henrichs and Tah being ready for the seniors. Although in Henrichs's case since he's a natural RB might fit better in the position over forcing Kimmich there. And it could help provide valuable experience for the 20 year old. Another explanation could be that they have to nominate 30 players who will then be cut to 23 by a deadline date.

Other interesting points is that tomorrow's team are the same lot who will most likely play 2 games before the CC.
    June 6--Germany vs Denmark Friendly game
    June 10--Germany vs San Marino WCQ

and the team will also require a Captain since Neuer and all the core regulars will be absent.

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    another 3 that are getting some mention are Patrick Hermann, Marcel Halstenberg, and Timo Horn.

that amounts to 30 players exact and if you look at wiki at squads.
    "Each team must first name a preliminary squad of 30 players. From the preliminary squad, the team must name a final squad of 23 players (three of whom must be goalkeepers) by the FIFA deadline. Players in the final squad may be replaced due to serious injury up to 24 hours prior to kickoff of the team's first match, where the replacement players do not need to be in the preliminary squad."

so sounds like we might get 30 player mention tomorrow???