Review: German Players Performance Thread 2014/15

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #126 Epitome990, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Quite the game by Lasogga. After scoring earlier, he's hit the post twice. Unlucky not to connect, that second powerful strike would have been a stunning goal. Showing good passing work too, just sent in a nice ball into the box to create a chance for Nicolai Müller in the box.

2. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ducksch scored too againts Frankfurt, Oczipka played well too

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Hats off to Paderborn. Fantastic victory today, very entertaining and tactically savvy team to watch.

4. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The player who convinced me the most of his abilities so far this season has been Oliver Baumann. I always liked him at SC Freiburg, but at Hoffenheim he singlehandedly added another level to the team's defensive stability. It's not only about the saves he makes, he's so calm and composed at everything he does. Leaving his penalty box to intercept the ball or dealing with corner-kicks and high crosses is no problem whatsoever for him. The way he uses his imposing physique in 1on1 situations reminds me a lot of Manuel Neuer, Baumann is not settling for one corner prematurely (like Weidenfeller or Zieler often do), but waits patiently until the very last moment. That's something I admire in a goalkeeper.

It seems like Löw isn't going to make any changes in his goalkeeper set-up for the 2016 EC, but Baumann would be my pick ahead of the younger guys like Leno, Trapp and ter Stegen.

5. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's Koepke's job

6. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Löw is making the final call though and Weidenfeller and Zieler as #2 & 3 has more to do with team chemistry than the quality of the goalkeepers. I expect that to change after the EC 2016 and Baumann will hopefully still be a strong candidate by the time.

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Great week for Bundesliga teams in the Champions League:

Roma 1 - 7 Bayern Munich
    Schalke 4
    - 3 Sporting CP
    Galatasaray 0 - 4 Borussia Dortmund
    Bayer Leverkusen 2
    - 0 Zenit Saint Petersburg

Reus is playing on another level, really igniting BVB's attack. Gundogan was a maestro controlling the midfield. Both look sharp on their return.

That Reus goal was pure class.

[​IMG]

9. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've been a huge fan of his and for a few years now he has been my tip as the next great German keeper after Neuer.

10. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I freaking love his shooting technique, but Muslera once again proved Oliver Kahn right when the Titan criticized him for his lack of jumping power. He has a pair of weak legs and a pitiful level of elevation, the likes of Neuer, Cech, Courtois, de Gea & Co. would have tipped the shot over the crossbar.

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When I saw that goal go in, I immediately thought back to the reason I don't like those midget keepers from south America.

12. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some of the good ones are able to compete, because they are explosive with ridiculous levels of jumping power until they lose their legs later in their careers. Muslera on the other hand was always weak in that regard, which makes him very much overrated as far as I'm concerned. In Germany he'd probably be #8-10 among the best goalkeepers.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Were you a GK in your youth? You seem fascinated by the position.

14. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I live in the country of legendary goalkeepers like Maier, Schumacher, Illgner, Köpke, Kahn, Neuer and grew up with the Belgian great Jean-Marie Pfaff in Bayern München's goal. How can I possibly not be fascinated by the position?

shap_half and chewz repped this.
  15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough.

16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Kevin Vogt and Jonas Hector...very impressive

Especially Vogt. Good composure, defensive positioning n tackling and good technique/ball control. Reminds me a bit of Schweini in 2010

And Hector is probably the best German left back nowadays. Maybe a top 5 left back in Bundesliga as well

17. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Vogt will have tough competition in CM and DM, lots of talents in this position in German
    Kramer got the call after Lars, Sven and Gundogan's injury, and uncertain condition of Khedira, Basti, Lahm, and he just got a chance to play after Mustafi's injury in World Cup
    Now Khedira, Gundogan, Lars, Sven, Basti is back, and there are still many young talents like Geis, Emre Can, etc, nice to wait and see who are the best CM and DM for German NT
    On the other hand, Hector doesn't have many good competitor, but still need a bit of luck
    Durm got the call after Schmelzer and Jansen's injury, and his good performance versus CR7 (Madrid) and Robben (Bayern), but he didn't play a single game in World Cup, and he just got a chance to play after Boateng, Hummels, and Howedes' injury after World Cup
    Now with Durm and Schmelzer's injury, hope Hector will get the chance, only if Loew doesn't think to play Howedes at LB again

18. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know if there was already a circle jerk about this in the Bayern forums, but I'm still reeling from that Gervinho save that Neuer pulled off midweek. With each passing year, he becomes more and more legendary.

19. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I grew up idolizing Kahn, but I think Neuer will go down as the best ever at his position. It's not just that he has amazing reflexes or can play in the field, but he has a huge impact in big games. He won us that R16 game against Algeria with an unreal performance when nobody else showed up, made a great last second save on Benzema, was enough of a presence to get Higuain and Palacios to rush their shots in the final, and one thing I think a lot of people forget is that in the 2013 CL final, Neuer made a handful of awesome saves to keep Bayern in the game when Dortmund went for the kill in the first 20 minutes.

bayern15 repped this.
  20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Toni Kroos with a quality performance in his first El Clasico. He's really embraced his new role and is commanding the central midfield quite well with Modric. His game is maturing and operates with great calmness and balance.

Mustafi continues to be a steady presence for Valencia. Connected on a header goal from a corner to open the scoring. Also made several big defensive interceptions to help secure the victory for Los Che.

Dage repped this.
  22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is he incorporating more physicality and defensive stability to his game?

23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    The defensive aspect of his game is forming nicely, especially in recent wins versus Liverpool and Barcelona. He's still more of a finesse holding midfield, but makes prompt tackles and blocks when needed. Also applies his strengths using his fluid passing sequences and positioning as an asset to control the midfield defensively.

24. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Though to be fair the defensive aspect of his game already matured significantly under Guardiola last season. Just look at the dfb cup final against Dortmund when he played the sole #6.

25. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Kramer was great in the game versus Bayern Munich. Controlled the flow in midfield for Gladbach and displayed some neat skill and vision. Defensively solid and provided the key tackles and interceptions when needed. Really calm presence with strong focus on duels.

Dage repped this.