German NT Youth Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There was today an interview with Mlapa in which he confirmed that he wants to play for germany...

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Options at CF are rare, he, Schieber and Schurrle(more of a SS?) are the only U21 forwards starting for their clubs.

i think he'll get his chance even if he's not literally "good enough". At the moment, he shows promises in his game: very fast n explosive, great hustle and decent technique for player of his size at 6'5".

If he has rejected Togo so many times already, i m not quite sure if he has left the door open for Togo at all........
    If Mlapa isnt under the radar of DFB, of course its understandable to choose Togo; but he just got the gold medal of Fritz-Walter-Medaille, and he is seen as one of the top striker prospects in Germany these days. I am pretty sure he realizes this as well

It really is a no brainer. DFB will have themelf to blame if one of their youth NT players suddenly plays for Togo, which i believe is not even a second tier African football nation. Choupo-Moting's case is totally different. Cant even compare to Mlapa's

Choupo-Moting's talent was not as widely recognised as Mlapa's. He wasnt a definite starter for the DFB U21, n a borderline starting striker for Nurnberg last season. People generally rate other U
    21 strikers like Schieber, Schurrle, Sukuta-Pasu n Noethe higher. Choupo-Moting's future for Germany was certainly not as bright as Mlapa's. Mlapa is by far the best striker prospect in the U21, already a starter for Hoffenheim at such a young age.

When a player is under the radar of DFB, widely recognised as a top talent in the country n playing an integral part of the youth NT..........its insane to play for Togo instead. I'll give it a reach for Italy, Turkey n Cameroon, but Togo??

3. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
  5. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course it's bullshit. The guy would be dumb to completely exclude the possibility of playing for Togo one day, since he doesn't know yet whether he'll be good enough for Germany. But as I said, actions speak louder than words. And it's a fact that he declined Togo's A-National team invitation to the African Cup of Nations and rather went to a course of Germany's U19. That should indeed tell you something...

He has made his decision. The only question is whether he will be good enough for Germany.

6. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It indeed does!.

7. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11881_6457047,00.html

For you, Berloha

8. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mlapa initiated the attack that lead to the goal Hoffenheim scored away to Dortmund with some fine individual effort and pass. The kid looks very promising indeed.

9. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    you don't get it, or do you like to play the dumb ?

You have stated that Mlapa will play for Germany.
    I have said and Mlapa, by the way too (in the video link I have posted), that he has NOT MADE A FINAL DECISION. I am sure that he will play for Germany, but it is not confirmed.

Lovely skill from Mlapa fooling two Dortmund players and playing the ball to Gustavo. It was his best and only good scene he had.

10. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    That's great, guys!
    Bild.de
    The next Uwe is coming, and he's called Levin Öztunali!:cool:

11. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hihi, that's something for my favourite thread on tm! ;)

Another interesting player in the team is Sinan Kurt (Ponys). He was great when I saw him two months ago in a tournament in Nuremberg, by far the best player. Felix Schröter (Vfbäh) interesting striker prospect, tall & two footed. Dortmund's Stenzel also interesting, however he tends to play awesome one day, and awful the next day (not very surprising in this age group obviously). Very talented winger.

12. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. schwas

schwas Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

15. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    don't pretend to not being moved by this heart-breaking decision

16. schwas

schwas Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sure I am, Im moved by one blip on the care-o-meter.;)

Seriously though, If the guy's heart is elsewhere then you really cant do much about it.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think Gundogan is a better prospect among the two. Strange coz i've seen the interview in tv.dfb n Ekici seems to blend in well with other German U21 players. Not as anti-social as the social-problem suggests

But still, this is another alert i guess. If u look at our U17 NT, possibly half of the team are Turkish descents n that makes us very vulnerable: Germany put in all the money for the development of players who will eventually play for Turkey!

Gundogan, Emre Can, Aycicek n maybe Samed Yesil.........i wont complain if they choose Germany instead of Turkey. But we never know.

Looks like DFB's youth teams approach of relying on a majority number of players with dual-nationality, start to show its flaws and problems

18. rudetackle

rudetackle New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    What do you want Germany to do? It is what it is; there are a lot of talented players with an immigrant background in Germany, a look at the demographics can tell you as much. Do you suggest that the DFB should not give these players their fair shot and instead give preference to "pure" Germans. Luckily such absurd practices are far behind us.

What FIFA should do however, is find a way to make such moves more difficult (I'm not holding my breath). Perhaps a player who chooses to switch federations should be banned from international games (at senior level only) for 12 to 18 month. This would prevent those "changes of heart" that we've seen before this world cup. If a player wants to switch allegiances that's fine, but it shouldn't reek of blatant opportunism.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They should have never made the "one time switch after a player is 21" rule either. I'm glad Jones has a chance with the USMNT but it doesn't really seem right, does it?

20. schwas

schwas Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree. I still dont get why this was introduced in the first place. Once you choose to represent one country, that should be it. I mean why should a player have an advantage over the rest, if he has dual citizenship?.

21. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what the... ?

DFB's youth team policy is to rely on the BEST German players, which is pretty normal for a federation. And not to include as many players as possible with an immigrant background just for the sake of it.

22. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    because we're the MINORITY. The majority are countries which have an interest in getting players from countries like Germany, France, England, Netherlands, Austria etc...

Why should any African country vote for the U21 rule? Why should Turkey, the whole of the Balkans etc vote for the rule? They profit. We don't. But we're the minority.

23. rudetackle

rudetackle New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    It does feel strange, but FIFA consist of over 200 members, and each, I think, have equal voting power (perhaps Smithfan knows more on this). Countries like Germany or France have very little say, which leads to such rule changes.

Going back to Ekici, I wish he could have shown a bit more patience. Players like Klose demonstrate that one's development is not always linear. While it looks unlikely right now, Ekici might have been able to make his way to senior side in a few years. Now the DFB loses him without any compensation to a federation that has not spent one cent on his personal or professional development.

24. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, every country has the same voting power, nevertheless how small. Means for example Tonga=Germany. Pretty ridicolous.
    Now DFB has to show Gündogan some perspective. And I mean not the perspective in the U21, where he of course will play most of the time in the next two years. If he stays with the DFB. Why not inviting him to a friendly like the one in Sweden next month? DFB has to be more pragmatic in the future.

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps but we're not exactly short on options in that position. It would be very difficult for him no matter how he develops. I don't blame him, it's not really too big of a loss. Wish him the best. He seems to be doing well this season.