German NT - Euro 2016 - Pre -Tournament and Squad Selection

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Apr 7, 2016.

?

Who should be captain of NT if Schweinsteiger wont be fit?

1. Khedira

2. Hummels

3. Muller

4. Neuer

5. Boateng

6. Oezil

7. Other

8. Podolski

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The Negatives -
    Kroos and Khedira midfield pairing was far too redundant. Both are #8/10s, neither are a true #6. Even Hungary was able to attack straight through the middle on multiple occasions in the opening 25 minutes. France or Spain would torch that midfield.

Kroos in the Pirlo role made me feel much more comfortable than the 2 man midfield.

Perhaps Weigl/Kimmich/Can or more of a destroyer type would be a better partner for Kroos in a 4-2-3-1? I doubt Löw would even try it.

Götze as a striker/false 9 is still shaky/experimental, and it was no different in this match. Having a striker to aim at is still a valuable part of modern football. It doesn’t need to be Gomez, it could be Müller, or even Schürrle would probably have a better time up top than Götze.

The Positives -
    When Müller and Neuer put that Germany shirt on, you can always count on them. Neuer had a great double save from Dzsudzsak and Szalai early on, even though Szalai was offside.

Jonas Hector plays like an international class LB.

Jerome Boateng played very well.

Höwedes may not offer a lot going forward, but he is a reliable defender on the right side.

Kroos looked good in the Pirlo role.

I like Draxler in the starting XI. He brings more experience and directness than Sane, and more creativity than Schürrle and Podolski.

Minttunator, goindownsouth and BorisG repped this.
  2. Der Müllerschaft

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am in complete agreement with your synopsis.

BorisG repped this.
  3. Der Müllerschaft

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I fell asleep from halftime through the 60th minute. Rewound it. And then fell asleep again.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fully agree. I hate the Kroos-Khedira midfield in a 4-2-3-1. It simply doesn't work and it never has.

5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #930 BorisG, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    What do you guys think of oezil playing a deeper role ... Oezil isn't the biggest goal threat , and playing deeper still allows him to play some of his killer passes. ....
    Khedira played way more offensive then oezil did .
    Wasn't impressed with Khedira yesterday !

Both Kroos and oezil came back to fetch the ball , Khedira was out of position many a time drifting around ontop! Even muller did more defensive work ...

Hungary two chances came from shots just outside Germans box ... That should have been covered by Khedira ... He came to late running back to cover his position !!!

Would like to see something like

---------back line ------
    Weigl --- oezil ----Kroos
    Muller ---goetze -draxler

6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think switching from 433 to 352 alternatively throughout a match will be a trend

This will allow us to be more flexible towards our approach during a match. We can play a 433 if we wanna keep possession; and maybe a 352 when we play counter attack.

And I think 352 actually stabilize the defense in some extend. With 3 CBs, one of them can play as an "invisible DM" n cover the space between defense n midfield. Hummels will be ideal for this role

With the same group of players, we can have these two formations:

------------------Neuer
    ------Rudiger-Boateng-Hummels(can push slightly forward)
    -Kimmich--------------------Hector
    -------------Khedira--Kroos
    -------------------Oezil
    --------------Muller---Draxler

To

-------------------Neuer
    ---Rudiger-Boateng--Hummels-Hector
    -------Kimmich--Khedira--Kroos
    --------Oezil----Mueller---Draxler

7. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    Both goals are offside, this is not good enough for Euro. Loew should have had a talk with Lahm to change his mind before the tournament, and at least give Wiser a chance instead of podolski.

now the team plays without soul.

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There was a goal disallowed after 2 minutes that was 3m onside. Are we going to win it all now?

9. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I would sub in Hahn for Muller and that's an elite team right there.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pls try to refrain from trolling

Dhajj, EmersonRW and Der Müllerschaft repped this.
  12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ger90 repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Please tell me this is badly translated?

EmersonRW and Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder what does that say about Rudy? who's been playing there for awhile now, that he thinks Howedes who doesn't usually play there and Kimmich who only has 1 cap for Germany both link better than Rudy. Seems like Howedes and Kimmich are our rightback players.

the team does need a lot of work on their freshness as they were lacking in both friendlies, they have a week to work on it. Good news is that all 3 of our group teams have struggled in their recent friendlies, so we aren't the only ones with problems.

Also the forward/striker position is between Gomez and Gotze and he'll play one or the other depending on the opponent.

yeah as the post above said Ozil in defensive midfield with Toni Kroos....errr what? Neither of those players really track back or really defend.:confused:

EmersonRW repped this.
  15. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hoewedes admits he is not a Dani Alves ... But his main function is to secure the defence . Which they did I guess !!!
    Loew said they also have kimmich who can play a bit more offensive ..
    Interesting to see wonder if kimmich or Hoewedes will get the nod against Ukraine?

Ger90 and EmersonRW repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Lahmfan
    1 week until the game vs Ukraine - you have one job

17. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    "Mesut can do a lot for our game in defensive midfield alongside Toni Kroos."

Holy sh*t! Löw actually said those words. He has Can, Weigl, and Kimmich in the squad, yet he plans to use Mesut Özil as a partner for Toni Kroos?

Just when I thought some balance was coming to Löw.

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well good news is that Khedira would still be playing behind them if he insists on going there but it's still not good as the middle in the game against Hungary was so open that a better team would have shredded us.

EmersonRW repped this.
  19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What is so wrong about this? Im sure hes talking about DMs in a 5-3-2. If Metusalem Pirlo could do it why not them?

P to the Wee repped this.
  20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hoewedes has played a lot of RB for Schalke so he's not unfamiliar with the position. He's there to bring stability to the defense.

I am not a fan of Kroos/Khedira in midfield. Neither one provides any defensive cover. I'd rather drop Götze and play a 4-3-3 with Kimmich or Weigl as the 6 and Kroos /Özil in front of them. Play Müller as striker and Draxler and Schurrle on the wings.

21. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I think the Ozil at 8 solution is strictly when playing against teams who are camping in defence. Its not a bad solution for certain situations given Ozil's secure and incisive passing that can break the lines.

22. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I think the biggest myth we have is of Khedira being a 'defensive' player. At best he is a box to box player, but even then one with a fairly offensive inclination. His biggest strength is his combination play in the opponent third. He also contributes defensively as the man over to defend counters and with his physicality and presence aerially but that is about it.

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    0/10 troll

24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed , thread creator

25. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #950 BorisG, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    One thing I do notice ... The German team is very versatile! It's just up to Jogi to get the perfect balance !!!
    I believe the 4-3-3 has been mentioned a few times now . I personally think Jogi should try it out.. He hasn't yet ! Real and Barcelona played a 4-3-3 this year !!

I recon if we make it to the final we will see a different squad abd formation , then the team that will be fielded against Ukraine .

Jogi will have a tough job , we will see if Jogi takes the risk to field a kimmich / weigl and if so if that risk will pay off.
    We just don't know if goetze/Gomez , or Draxler / Schurrle , or kimmich / Hoewedes.. Can/ Hector ... Or even when it's the right time to bring in Schweinie!!!! We just don't know on the day who will perform better do we ?

I recon if Loew does it right ( luck has to be part of it ) we have a chance of winning , but having said that it could go all pear shaped as well .

He will probably play it fairly safe in the beginning( playing Khedira , Hoewedes etc) .. And then adjust the team as needed over the tournament ..

Looking forward to new threads !!!@ lahmfan

Ger90 repped this.