Review: German National Team News & Discussion Thread - WC 2014 & Beyond

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Quite optimistic regarding Durm, aren't we? Last I checked he lost his starting-spot to Schmelzer at Dortmund. He'd arguably not even be considered for the team had he not played at BVB.

2. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably lost it because Schmelzer had more experience. I'd think Durm will slowly take over this season, but we'll see. Worst case we do another patchwork job at LB again. Won us the World Cup anyways.

chewz, dips82, Vlad S. and 1 other person repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nuer
    Lahm boetang Hummels durm
    Khedira gundogan
    Muller Ozil Rues
    Volland/lassoga/Gomes

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because a team should always be looking to evolve and change and progress. Stand still, get caught napping on your laurels, and you end up like Spain this year.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Durm has shown me some potential, much more than I could say for Schmelzer. Schmelzer is one of Klopp's "pets" at Dortmund; he's not moving out of the starting lineup unless he's consistently beat for performance by Durm. Klopp showed Durm some serious faith and trust throughout the season, which leads me to believe Durm will get his shot at the starting lineup. And he may not have been considered by Löw had he not played for BVB but I believe that'd be the wrong decision.

chewz and Vlad S. repped this.
  6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We got to deal with what he have, not what we wish we had.

pikuchan and Kirsten19 repped this.
  7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doesnt matter if Jung, Durm or Lahm playing until 40 - we need fullbacks!!!

8. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    #108 Oddo26, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    To be fair though Spain got away with largely the same roster for a pretty long time. While for the World Cup major changes will obviously (not all of which are foreseeable) be needed for the Euro Cup not much is needed except minor tweaking. After winning the World Cup very impressively why try to fix what's not broken. The only major change that is needed right now is replacing Klose. For that I feel Mario Gomez will be just fine at least for now. Lassoga is the future and will probably be the starting striker by 2018 but he is the future not the present.

Crisstti repped this.
  9. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We won with Howedes playing every minute of the Cup. He's hardly the best left back in the world.

chewz and MatthausSammer repped this.
  10. wallstreet123456

Nov 2, 2005
    NYC
    Is Lassoga a fast striker or similar to Gomez?

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Big, lumbering target-man striker. Bit of a throwback.

12. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's simply not true that Durm plays better than Schmelzer. People seem to forget that Schmelzer was Dortmund's LB for two BL championships and a CL final. Durm had quite a few bad defensive mistakes last season. Dortmund even lost games because of him. People just prefer him because he looks more elegant than Schmelzer when he plays. Still, he only ever played when Schmelzer was injured.

Durm will never be the best player he can be at LB anyway. He has no left foot. If he ever manages to become a top class player it will be at RB. That's also where Klopp originally played him last pre-season. Then he was moved to the left side only because Großkreutz needed a new position at RB as he wasn't good enough for the wing anymore.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With all due respect, I disagree, having seen my fair share of BVB matches, and it's not like Schmelzer is some defensive giant. Schmelzer was a passenger for the championships, not a reason, like Höwedes.

EDIT: And what do you mean by "elegant"? Better touch, more confident on the ball, not just sprinting upfield and putting in crosses that 95% of the time go nowhere?

14. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schmelzer was never the best player on the team but he did his part. He was not a liability and defensively he is better than Durm. Last season he had massive injury problems and was rarely fully fit which impacted his play. Schmelzer's crosses could be better but at least he can cross from LB. Durm cannot because he has no left foot. That also impacts his defending. Right footed left backs are just a bad idea. Even Lahm who has a decent left foot is so much better on the right. Both defensively and offensively. In season 2011/2012 he still played LB and had a total of 4 assists in the BL and 1 in the CL. In season 2012/2013 he was finally moved to RB and his numbers went up to 11 assists in the BL and 5 in the CL.

I would be happy to replace Schmelzer with a better LB if one can be found. But that is not Durm. Durm shouldn't play LB at all.

15. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I saw the exact opposite having watched every single BVB match last season..

16. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly, our left side has been suffering a lot because of his aimless performances, both defensively and offensively. Reus plays much better with Durm for support. Most goals BVB conceded last season were through Schmelzer's side, at least that's my memory. I see him as the team's weakest link.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Any thoughts on Hoewdes continue to play as our starting LB? At least we won't suffer as much in set-pieces situation

Or Plattenhardt from Hertha Berlin?

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No. No. And wait... HELL NO!

chewz and Liquid1010 repped this.
  19. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm in the exact same boat.... it's a very odd and nostalgic feeling! I'm just slightly older than they are and always felt connected with those guys as they were the players I grew up with.

chewz, Crisstti and Minttunator repped this.
  20. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #120 P to the Wee, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Lahm has retired from the National Team. Damn.

chewz, Minttunator and Kirsten19 repped this.
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    holy shit - dont say I didnt. I told you so!

thanx to Philipp! he's right up there with Walter, Seeler, Beckenbauer, Matthäus!

22. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    WTF!!!

Oh man, that sucks.

23. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who is next in line for captain? Schweini, Neuer, Müller? I'd go with Neuer, but would not mind if it's Schweini, just don't know how much longer he'll be around.

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schweini is kaput. If he wants to continue playing at this level at Bayern he must retire too. Maybe another two years and he retires two. The goalie is always too far away from the game(except it's the Algeria type of game). Müller is a fiery temper. Id say Hummels now that he has adjusted his playing style and his behavior within the team.

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    That would be my guess. Neuer would have the natural authority, but if Löw wants an outfield player, Schweinsteiger would be the obvious choice. Though I think Khedira would also make a good captain given his personality.