Review: German National Team News & Discussion Thread - WC 2014 & Beyond

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jul 13, 2014.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. Just hope we pick a pair of fullbacks and stick with them for a while. Durm and Jung would be my two picks as well. Tournament's not for another two years, but we need to start bleeding them in now. Lahm's not going to last forever. He can still start in qualifying, but for friendlies I want rookies.

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Time to bring in Lasogga to be Klose's successor. With Mario Gomez and Lasogga as the replacement

This tournament showed that a classic CF is still useful in our system. That's why Klose got the start at the age of 36

Der Müllerschaft and Minttunator repped this.
  3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i need him to left one more cup then i can die happily.

Minttunator repped this.
  4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lasogga and Müller and Gomez can fight it out IMO. Best option wins.

Minttunator repped this.
  5. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lasogga is a poor-man's Mario Gomez and even his incredible scoring couldn't make up for his technical weaknesses. How should the inferior finisher in Lasogga, who has similar weaknesses on the ball, be the solution to the NT's problems on the CF position?

I've got Thomas Müller up-front for the EC 2016.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More hold-up play, which I've never seen Gomez demonstrate.

7. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let Lasogga play on the highest level against defending opponents, like Gomez had to at Bayern, and we can talk again about Lasogga's superior hold-up play, because I remember Mario Gomez was very much capable of it during his time at Stuttgart.

How many long balls to hold up have you seen from the NT during this WC anyway? That's not Löw's tactical approach at all, which focuses on low and vertical passing. Lasogga would be a liability just like Gomez.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough.

It still provides another option. To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of Lasogga, so I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of his game. But I do think its something worth exploring.

9. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Timo Werner then ;)

10. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you reckon he's going to get more playing time this season?

11. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I'm pretty sure. Stuttgart refused to let him go to the U19 EURO, which can only mean that they plan to play with him. It kinda sucks for Werner and I would want him to have that experience. On the other hand, it means that he's needed in the Bundesliga, which should be some sort of consolidation.

12. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Completely wrong evaluation

Mario Gomez has been very injury prone in last few seasons, being 29 already i dont think he is that reliable of an option and on the down-side of his career.

LAsogga is not an inferior finisher. He is in fact more allrounded and better than Mario Gomez in building up and creating; Lasoogga has a much better long shot too, as well as the mobility that allows Lasogga to play on the flanks throughout the game

I think thats something Mario Gomez doesnt provide.

Lasogga's scoring rate at 114min per goal (13 goals in 1482 min) is also much better than Lewandowski (140 min per goal, 20 goals in 2799min) and Adrian Ramos' for example. I dont think his finishing is ever an issue

Only 3-4 top teams in 1.BL, and clubs like Bayern and Dortmund do not use local striker talents, especially the younger ones. Mario Gomez, Klose also struggled in their Bayern days. clubs like Bayern and Dortmund have the buying power and more willign to invest on foreign strikers who are more proven and valuable in market. Lasogga moving to one of these clubs will only hurt his career more than helping.

As German fans, i think we just have to accept that our strikers are all from mid-lower tabled clubs. "one-striker formation" and the increasing buying power of top teams really hurt young German strikers chance. Being proven and expereinced is becoming more and more important nowadays

13. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i am young enough to play as a striker ...

anyone have loew phone number?

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    http://www.ligainsider.de/timo-werner_2570/veh-sieht-ihn-im-sturmzentrum-86820/

http://www.ligainsider.de/timo-werner_2570/werner-ist-unverkaeuflich-86919/

Looks like Coach Veh really values Werner and has a plan with him.

Ibisevic is aging, Ginczek is always injured(still injured)...Abdellaoue is regressing badly and is as good as gone. I think Timo Werner has a very good chance to start regularly if coach is playing a two-striker formation

15. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We have no need to bring in anyone at this stage to win the EC
    Front row
    Reus, Muller, Schurrle, Oezil Goetze. Draxler
    Midfield row: Khedira, Schweinie, Kroos, Gundogan and Benders (those young Schalke boys as well)
    Back row: Lahm, Boateng, Badstuber, Hummels, Merte, Howedes, Durm, Schmelzer etc.
    Goal: Neuer and there are enough other options.

Why bring in a new team if the old team is young and talented enough mixed with all the experience you need.
    Anyway its 2 years down the line...

P to the Wee repped this.
  16. Minttunator

Minttunator Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, I remember when Lahm, Schweini and Podolski were the young guns, the new kids on the block - it doesn't seem like that long ago at all! And now we already have to think about replacing them - I have to admit thinking of Lahm and Basti no longer playing for the NT makes me rather melancholy.

I absolutely agree with you, though. We're pretty stacked in midfield but it's not looking that good closer to goal - if only we could clone Neuer and have him play FB/CB as well as GK! :D

Liquid1010 repped this.
  17. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Durm and Jung are not the final solutions though. What we desperately need is talent in the category of Ricardo Rodriguez and David Alaba and not their subpar German counterparts.

18. SLC25

SLC25 Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Jordan
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still no love for Piggy?

19. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey, if he's healthy and still on it in 2 years, then of course. Just a big IF.

MatthausSammer, Kirsten19 and SLC25 repped this.
  20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So few love for Kramer in here :/ think of the guy.. he has most covered ground in the Bundesliga and is very comfortable holding possession and passing the ball. He wasn't playing (almost) at all until the final and he just knew of his participation until 10 minutes before kick-off. Then played a very good match until the cruel injury. He's young and inexpirienced but he must has shown some good impacts during the world cup trainings.

If he has another good season with Gladbach and goes on to succeed e.g. Rolfes at Leverkusen after it, I can see him playing a role in future NTs. He's imo also suited for a really good fullback.

nekkibasara, Epitome990 and Minttunator repped this.
  21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

benztown repped this.
  22. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can beat the drum for Lasogga all you like, but for my money, Volland would be a perfect fit. He can play wide or centrally even though he is not a true #9. In Loew's scheme, he doesn't have to be. Volland has already proven himself in the 2.BL and with Hoffenheim. To me, he is the likely starter or at a minimum significant contributor up top at EM 2016.

23. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2016:

Müller
    Reus Kroos Götze
    Schweinsteiger Khedira?/Gündogan?
    Durm Hummels Boateng Lahm
    Neuer

goindownsouth repped this.
  24. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Damn strong side there. Add in your top 3 subs and this looks solid.

25. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schürrle super sup+Özil+Ginter main CB backup. If Schweini isn't healthy there's always Kramer, maybe Kroos dropping deeper, maybe Goretzka, the Benders, etc.. 2016 we should be more than fine, in 2018 it's too early to plan. So much potential players we haven't even heard about could appear by then.

Minttunator and goindownsouth repped this.