Review: German National Team News & Discussion Thread - WC 2014 & Beyond

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Junster

Junster Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for the input.

I'm yet to follow Werner close enough to have any opinion on him. Until then, Volland and Lasogga sound good to me for the 4-2-3-1. Knowing Low, he'd keep tinkering with formations in Euro qualifiers for us to have a better idea as you have said it yourself. I just hope we get to see more of Gundogan and Bender(s), and Reus of course, later this year.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  2. ATL_Bayern_Fan

Apr 29, 2013
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Next two years will be a glorified victory tour. If I am not mistaken, There will be 24 teams at Euro 2016. Qualifying will have so much margin for error for a team like Germany. I want to see what kind of out and out striker emerges over next two years.

3. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #53 Kirsten19, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    If we are talking about a 4-2-3-1. Volland may not be an option up top as a "1"

Volland will be used as RW for Hoffenheim, due to the lack of quality options at the wing.And Hoffenheim just brought in Szalai who is a decent 1.BL striker but cant make the cut in Schalke. Szalai and Modeste, Hoffenheim have two classic targetmen who will be obstacle of Volland for playing up top. If Volland is never given a chance to play as CF at club level, he shouldnt be playing at CF for the NT.

Lasogga is a good option. I think he has the physique, finishing ability, scoring instinct and aerial threat u want in your frontman. He is kinda slow in terms of sprinting, but his link-up play and mobility is surprising good for a player of his size. Lasogga will be a very realistic option, only concern will be the situation of HSV. Will HSV continue to flop like they did last season? If HSV struggle, it may hurt Lasogga's chance of making the NT.

People talked about Timo Werner. He is a classic poacher, a "fox in the box" type. Werner is extremely fast and has top notch scoring instinct in the box, especially for a player of his age. But just like Volland, as the team (Vfb Stuttgart) have some veteran CFs in their roster, Werner was forced to play on the flank by ex-coach Thomas Schneider.

But in the recent interview: http://www.ligainsider.de/timo-werner_2570/veh-sieht-ihn-im-sturmzentrum-86820/

New coach Veh said he only sees Timo Werner as a center forward , so we'll see how he performs at a position where he has been playing all his youth career and seen as his "natural position". At 180cm, he isnt the tallest for a striker, but Kalle "Air" Riedle, Gerd "Der Bomber" Mueller, Stefan Kuntz and Ulf Kirsten are some of the better strikers in German football back in the days, are all 180cm or under.

Other names such as Marvin Ducksch, Zoller, Ginczek and Scheidhauer(promoted) may also be given chances in their new clubs. If young strikers, due to competition, are not given enough chances, Loew still have some desperate options in 2.BL like Azemi, Fuellkrug or Philipp Hofmann.

4. Omnomnomnom

Omnomnomnom Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I think we could find a place for Poldi in this lineup (on the bench) if he keeps his form in the next two years. We aren't likely to use every player on the roster anyway, and surely taking him as the 23rd man would help, if he is as important to this team as he seems to be.

P to the Wee repped this.
  5. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Basically my point. All 23 never play and you can still live with Podolski if it really came to having to play someone.

Omnomnomnom repped this.
  6. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Kirsten19
    Buddy, have you celebrated Germany winning the world cup????
    If the answer is yes, then it means you haven't celebrated enough!!!

Stop all this madness talk! celebrate the dam achievement!!!

dips82, Vlad S. and goindownsouth repped this.
  7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm a Poldi hater. He's a squad player for Arsenal in a position where we're stacked. At the end of the day, I don't want to turn down the likes of Volland and Kruse and Meyer (if he progresses) for Lukas. What has he done to continue to deserve a spot on this squad? Chemistry's important, but if that's all he brings, I'm not sure if that's worth it. On-field chemistry's important too, and he doesn't gel with the rest on the field.

Minttunator and Liquid1010 repped this.
  8. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, but my guess he'll probably be an assistant coach. I can't think of anyone who has the potential of being a great coach more than Klose, especially when it comes to training strikers.

9. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're a mean mommy.

10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  11. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Their are several reasons to keep Podolski on the team in addition to team unity. First off unlike Klose at age 29 he's still got another cycle in him age wise the only reason he isn't starting for Germany and in Arsenal is because of their depth. While Podolski doesn't fit into Lows system when Germany needs to press for an equalizer or winner he can be a very helpful sub. If not for multiple injuries in the final I personally believe Low would have subbed Podolski in to help achieve these ends.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On a somewhat unrelated note, I was just rewatching Germany vs Argentina 2006, and can't help but think in hindsight how Podolski was seen as being on a similar level to Messi at the time. Their careers took such dramatically different trajectories from that point. It is kind of crazy. Yet Podolski got the last laugh in the end, I guess.

Boandlkramer, chewz and shap_half repped this.
  13. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Podolski won the young player of the tournament award over the likes of not only Messi but Ronaldo and Rooney also. Lol how times have changed.

chewz and Minttunator repped this.
  14. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's a great point. I still recall Poldi slapping Ballack..... and other players having to get in the way. Love the guy, but he still has a bit of that in him.

I like Poldi, but imho at this point Schurrle is a similar player who provides more to the team. Both are direct and inject some fire, but Schurrle has more pace and better awareness...... plus he's younger.

Although I don't see a spot on the Nationalelf for Poldi, I think Schweini needs to stay for another 4 years. Even as a bench player, he's a bit of a throwback on a team of technicians. He has heart, steel, and immense leadership characteristics. I see him becomming a mentor to a lot of the younger guys who tend to forget the value of forged steel will-power.

15. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And yet he has more World Cup than all of them combined, and has beaten all three of them in some capacity at World Cup level. Oh, to be Poldi, with his World Cup and Young Player award, something none of those other losers can ever get their hands on.

Boandlkramer, chewz, Minttunator and 4 others repped this.
  16. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i like you

chewz repped this.
  17. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Listen, I'm ready to say goodbye to Poldi on the NT, too, but let's not pretend that any of these guys have an international career that can even compare to Poldi's. Had a great coming out in 2006, was one of Germany's best i 2008, played a great supporting role in 2010 with two goals and still scored in 2012 even when people were calling him off the team. Maybe he's not the better player, but the concept of who's better is just circle jerk fodder that won't count more much when they all look back at their international careers.

18. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I feel my comment was misunderstood. Podolski is actually my second favorite player on the German team (or favorite if Klose has retired yet) and I have all the respect for him in the world. The 2006 World Cup was when I first started watching soccer and it's just crazy how much things have changed since then. I just find it sad that while Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney are the stars of their international and club teams Podolski is stuck on the bench for both club and country when back then he was regarded as a better player. However it is great that Podolski has the one thing those guys(most likely) will never get, the World Cup Trophy.

19. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Makes sense, but it's an assumption that no one else can provide what he did. Maybe KG and Durm were such players in the making this WC? I'm sure some of the unused substituted have already been tasked this tourney to prepare for that role.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We desperately need to build up fullbacks. Lahm is not going to be around forever. in every possible occasion Jung and Durm shoud get playing time.

Here: I called it July 2014.

chewz, Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  21. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Schmelzer is still an option as long as He is the starting LB in Dortmund, ahead of Durm in Klopps pecking order.

Grosskreutz, Jung and Jantschke are all serviceable options at RB so I am not concerned

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They are options. But they have no experience. The Dortmund guys have some Cl experience but I want each fullback to be 25 yo with preferably 10 y of NT experience.

Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ten years?

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #74 White/Blue_since1860, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Old joke. 30 years old. 25 years experience on the job. Expression of the fear we go to Russia without a fullback who has played a WC before.

chewz and Minttunator repped this.
  25. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm so glad we won the WC title under Niersbach and not that arse Zwanziger. I'm already anticipating the big BILD interview with Zwanziger who claims Germany won the WC, because of his work.

chewz repped this.