German National Team News & Discussion Thread - Run up to EURO 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Reus made an exceptional pass today, he's really at the center of a lot of this.

Takes my vote for best player of the season thus far.

2. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He has a much bigger chance after the Euros's, not entirely sure how he would fit in besides a backup player anyways atm.

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know, I meant for the EURO's, not unless there was an injury to one of the players are "in" the squad.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Same here. There's no question really. I think at least four other Gladbach players including one of Stranzl/Dante, Ter Stegen, Arango, and Hanke could easily make the Team of the Season as well. Simply put everyone has been excellent. It's a shame they will lose three key players in the summer and most likely even more in the coming years.

5. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hermann has looked great as well, speaks to the terrific work done by the DFB really. We have more youth players now than ever and its reaping dividends.

I thought Kroos would have been the best player this season, but clearly my prediction is completely wrong - Reus is by far top quality at the moment. He could have even made a move to England.

6. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Merte hurt his ankle playing on one of the absolute worst potato fields of a pitch I have ever seen in my life in the Premier League (Stadium of Light). Absolutely brutal.

7. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Huh? As a room cleaner, or prime minister, or...?
    Why should he move to England, and what's so great about that?

8. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seeing as how this is the kind of forum where we are encouraged to not only contextualize performances but create excuses for them, too, I would say that Reus is performing with a different set of expectations and blah and blah and blah that has obviously created the optimal atmosphere in which he can flourish. Kroos, and the mess that is Bayern right now, is not. He hasn't actually had any bad performances yet, just lackluster showings that are clearly the results of the issues Bayern is having to deal with because of this and this and that and that.

9. Philipp Lahm

Philipp Lahm Member+

Feb 24, 2010
    Russian Federation
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who is he going to call instead of Merte...

[​IMG]Tasci.

10. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What's our injury list so far who are going to miss the France game?

We have mert, gotze and piggy out. Anyone else?

I am hoping several of the following lines are used.

Lahm bads hummels boetang
    Kroos khadira
    Muller Ozil Podolski
    Klose

Then half put in benders
    Take out Podolski for schurrle
    Klose for Gomez or even have reus play who knows ;)

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Poldi didn't play today either.

12. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is he injured?

13. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was. I think they've finally removed the cast, but he hasn't been playing for like three weeks now.

14. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, we did win in EC 96 without Matthaeus.

Merte isn't actually world class. He emerged as a promising talent on the international scene with lots of potential circa WC06. Since then he hasn't improved much as a player. He's with Poldi in that respect. They've stagnated at a certain level. Whereas players like Schweini and Klose have improved year on year. Playing for clubs which do not believe in the concept of defending: Werder & Arsenal hasn't helped his cause either.

There are 2 distinct facets to this argument.
    Will he be missed?: yes
    Is he replaceable?: yes

15. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That maybe so, but the frequency of poor performances when in the German jersey is substantially higher. Out of the top of my mind, I remember goof ups against Ukraine and Australia.

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think thats exaggerated. Australia and Ukraine were both experimental matches in which most German players didnt play up to their potential. What about Brazil and Uruguay? Performances like that against quality like that is what truly counts.

17. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @ FR:

Fair enough. My post wasn't meant to be a critique of Hummels' ability. I was just saying that he isn't the consistent defender for the NT that he is in the BuLi. He still has the occasional gaffe for the NT.

He was good against Holland and Uruguay. But he wasn't all that great in the qualifiers. It was his miss placed pass that lead to an Austrain goal, IIRC in the 6-2 win. Not that it had any bearing on the result though.

Lets reserve our verdict till after the EC. Lets see how he performs when it matters.

18. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Well until 2010, Schweini was in the "limited improvement" club as well. Then he took his game to a new level.

I think it's fair to say Podolski has done the same this season. He has never scored at anything close to this rate before.

1 person likes this.
  19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yet he was probably our best player in that match that we narrowly won after being moved into midfield. I think the fact that he's still being integrated into our defense and the fact that thats not really Löw's strong suit which doesn't optimize anyone's defensive performance in my opinion but hopefully that will come with some stability for once. Lord knows we haven't had that in a long time with the NT.

20. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought he did really well against Belgium, too (he was my MOTM), but all that shows is that he's inconsistent and in a tournament where he's now likely to feature in every single match, he should be able to produce the kind of top-level performance in all of them. His showing for the NT so far shows that that is unlikely to happen.

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Again, thats tough when your backline constantly changes and only attacking is emphasized its something Löw needs to work on.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And why is this different to Merte?

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think giving the back 4 constant full time in the next 3 friendlies will help solidify hummels and the rest.

Lahm bads hummels and boetang need to be with each other every game now till the euros

24. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And for BVB, where he, at least twice, made crucial mistakes. Yes, he had a great game against arsenal - but against marseille for example, he definitely lost it a couple of times.

25. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Boateng is a left back now? In that case, I think schmelzer deserves a chance he's been excellent.