German National Team News & Discussion Thread - Run up to EURO 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What it comes down to is really would we concede less with Mertesacker? The answer is absolutely uncertain and mostly leaning towards no. Considering we don't have much of a defensive plan anyway, it really won't make much of a difference and it paves the way for proper talent to come through.

2. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I doubt he'd be out for more than 3 months, no?'

Guess that leaves Hummels and Badstuber.

3. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean there's no telling how quick he'll recover, its obviously a pretty serious injury and even if he does regain fitness before the tournament it's going to be a risky proposition him being out for so long. Unless he has a miraculous recovery I think he's done.

5. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Hummels and Boateng for me at CB.

6. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with SirManc on this one. At this point of time, only Lahm, Schweini & Neuer are absolutely indispensable. The team has good back ups for all other positions.

Besides, can you remember a tournament where we did not miss a major player due to injury?

In the end, all this always turns out in favour of the team. :D

Edit:

Players Germany have missed in past tournies
    WC2010: Ballack
    EC08: Schneider
    WC06: Woerns ( nominated as a back up by Klinsi, but called a press conference to hammer him and that resulted in a ban, IIRC)
    EC04: Ramelow ( mysteriously retired just 5 days before the tournament)
    WC02: Nowotny, Schoell, Deisler
    EC2000: Bierhoff ( hurt while training)
    WC98: Basler
    EC96: Kohler, Maetthaus
    EC92: Matthaeus, Riedle (broken arm after 1st game)

7. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Is Mertesacker really a player making THE difference between winning and losing in a big tournament like this one ?
    Only time will tell but most likely the answer is no.If Germany dont win, it wont be because of him missing. It will be because of Neuer,Ozil,Schweinsteiger,Hummels, Gotze,Klose...... I mean there are so many great players. They are good enough to win. Okay maybe most of them are 2-3 years too young but they are good enough to win.

8. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It really depends. Spain are still genuine favorites, Barcelona keep coming up with youngsters as brilliant as ours. Look at Telo, that kid has had very few minutes but already looks like he's a world class player in the making. Same to be said of Cuenca.

I think the Euro is coming far too soon for us, even though we have a great squad. Our defense is pretty young, this in and of itself, is an enormous disadvantage regardless of the potential for greatness.

Everyone has thus far managed to underestimate the importance of Merte. Yes, in a few years, Hummels, Badstuber and Boateng could be better defenders (if Hummels isn't already), but he comes with experience, and younger players like Hummels will look to him for leadership. This was the classic case of Puyol and Pique. Although Pique is very talented, he could do little without the leadership of Puyol.

Without Merte I personally believe our chances have diminished considerably. A young defense, no matter how good, can only challenge at such a level until it is faced with a thoroughly world class team like Holland or Spain. It is one thing to do well in the Bundesliga, and another thing to come up against the very best at a tournament you know little about.

9. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's like we have won anything over the past decade or more. Yes, last WC we actually did well, but to win is another issue. You need a combination of world class players, experience yet enough youth to keep the engine running. This is very reachable for this squad, especially as our top players seem to be competing at the highest level - but we're still too young to win I believe, but talented enough to do well.

10. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loew needs to use these coming games to play our back four full time.

Lahm bads hummels boetang..

They need to establish solidarity and understanding as much as possible before the tournament.

11. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe there's too much tennis (where fearless and focused young ingenues are known to cause upsets and win major titles over established champions) in my blood. I'm not concerned. We're winning that trophy in Kiev.

12. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummel's performance today doesn't increase my confidence.

@SM: If Merte starts we look "bad" because of Merte. If others start we look bad because the team has no plan at all (which isn't right anyway). That doesn't seem consistent.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummels had his 1st really poor match with BvB in 2 years...

14. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Schurrle finally scores a goal ........ against the worst team in the league and at home.

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Come on Cris, that's just not true. Anyway I rate him as the best CB in the team but the injury of Merte is a very bad lose and I wanted to point that out.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummels got worse as the match progressed but like it was mentioned it was his first in two+ years and it turns out he got injured early on and fought to stay on...

Let's draw major and extreme conclusions from this.

Go!

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's Özil time. :D

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nobody does. :rolleyes: Don't hyperventilate.

19. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummels had apparently fever attacks while playing so this might explain his unusual horrible performance.

20. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Herrmann with another great goal. Jogi, are you watching ?

Gladbach's second goal was a beauty - great assist by Reus and an even better finish from Arango.

21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Herrmann is out of season.. But for 2014 he could be an option if he continue the developement- :D

Jantschke should be an option for Löw though.

22. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best left foot in the league. Gladbach are the most entertaining side to watch in Europe. I'm not even kidding.

23. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Not out of season, he'll probably be back in April; but there isn't any chance for him to break into Löw's squad in the last few weeks. However, Germany didn't need him anyway; no lack at this position. RW/RAM/SS... well, Reus will probably be on the bench; so I think Herrmann can wait.

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some reports say 6 weeks but obviously it could be much longer with an injury like that. Don't think Löw would have picked him anyways.

25. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He would have been called up for the friendly against France according to ZDF.