German Federal Election 2017 - or alternatively "the end"

Discussion in 'Elections' started by White/Blue_since1860, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    That's kind of incidental if you score high on left-wing issues - although CDU isn't that low (I think it was right after the FDP at 49%). If you are a left-leaning German, you also tend to score disproportionately high with the FDP due to their stance on social issues (in every single one of those tests I ever did, the FDP is right in the middle, with a high agreement on social issues and almost none on economy and welfare). At the bottom, by quite a margin, are AfD and NPD.

2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #152 Boandlkramer, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Now this is interesting!

"One in three Bavarians want independence from Germany, poll shows"

But there's this

"But Germany’s Constitutional Court already settled the matter of whether Bavaria could hold a Brexit-style referendum for a ‘Bayxit’. The court in January rejected a man’s bid to hold such a vote, arguing that Germany's constitution does not allow for individual states to break away."

BAYEXIT would decimate the German economy

https://www.thelocal.de/20170717/on...-independence-from-germany-poll-shows-bavaria

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Liberal in the European context has the original meaning. It's what you call libertarians but in a far more less state/government sceptical context. They are something between Hillary pro business democrats and your libertarians. Our conservatives or even the social democrats are far too state-loving for the American mainstream

herthabsc repped this.
  4. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds about right -- now get off my lawn.

5. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Indeed. I've always found it confusing and bizarre that "Liberal" in NA means leftish (I mean, still right-of-centre in an absolute sense but as compared to "conservative"). I assume it stems from the absence of an actual Left in the US or Canada that liberals have come to assume the role, but it leads to some really strange ideological contortions.

crazypete13 repped this.
  6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Liberalism had already split into different factions during the 19th century, not just in America. In Germany (as in other countries), there also have been left-wing liberal parties, although they were largely replced by social democrats. Right-wing liberalism has also been out of fashion in Germany since the FDP's nationalist wing became irrelevant after the 1950s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism (in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksliberalismus)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_liberalism (in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalliberalismus)

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that at this point, unless something big happens, Merkel gets the most votes and is the next Chancellor. The issue is whether the FDP gets enough seats to allow a CDU/CSU/FDP coalition I wonder if the Greens might be temped into a Jamaica coalition. You give in to teh Greens on some environmental issues, point out that German has ended nuclear power and is trying to get renewables -- would that be enough? Or will the Greens figure they get that anyway.

I cannot see the CDU entering into coalition with the AfD nor the SPD and Greens going in with Linke. So it may be everyone is back to a Grand coalition again.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you're right. If not something out of this world happens, like some big terror attack, I dont see the figures shifting that much. Perhaps only if people think the figures will not change so they stay at home from voting. Linke and AfD and to some minor extent FDP could profit from that. Greens are in big trouble nonetheless, they polled 12% in Berlin last week. Thats abysmal. They dont have unique sellling points and their two leading candidates are unpopular. Like Green topics with a pro refugee stance arent that much popular. That Lower Saxony got lost in Bundesrat because of a Green traitor also doesnt help.

Here is another well written Cliffe article about this election campaign and how it difffers from the US and UK elections in terms of polarization of societies. He only used the wrong German term: The correct term is Schlafwagenwahlkampf (sleeping car election campaign).

[​IMG]
    https://www.economist.com/news/euro...tory-makes-it-seem-germanys-election-campaign

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    They got 12.3% in Berlin in the last Bundestag election - so 12% would be more or less the same than in the 2013 election.

12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

And now a Snap Election?

https://www.thelocal.de/20170808/merkels-spd-rivals-face-snap-election-in-volkswagen-home-state

13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well thats whats always going to happen if majorities shift. Otherwise they risk losing the state without elections. Clever though by SPD to do it after the federal elections

14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Winning in Germany!

"Force people wanting to run for office in the AfD to make campaign donations to the party, then lie about it later and claim all donations were voluntary.

It's never the crime that gets you, it's always the cover up."

https://www.thelocal.de/20170817/st...otes-to-lift-far-right-leader-petrys-immunity

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    895239004609798145 is not a valid tweet id

16. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well Erdogan has made it clear that he doesn't want SPD, CSU, or The Greens to win....gone so far as saying they are enemies of Turkey....

He's a menace.

17. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm at the Straubing fest, and was invited to sit with the CSU gathering in the reserved area...their platform....it seems to sit a bit left of the neoliberal DNC platform right? @White/Blue_since1860 ?

I'm only asking so I don't make myself look like an a--hole.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Id say literally all the parties are left to your political landscape with the exception of FDP and AfD.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The kids are alright

[​IMG]

20. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree.

I'm also seeing Merkel signs around here. Don't let Germany do what we did. She's the only adult in the room there. I'd say it's better to at worst, stick with the devil you know.

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ive heard from several people they are going to vote AfD as a protest and cause Angie will stay in office anyways.

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dual ballot and overhang seats explained

23. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were in Germany last week and there were election posters everywhere. In Bonn the Green Party candidate is literally hugging a tree in her poster. Green Tree Hugging.jpg

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  24. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Left (all flavors) have been out in masse, from Nuremberg to Augsburg, their signs can be seen everywhere. CDU/CSU has a strong foothold in Bavaria though...

BTW...what's wrong with the Green candidate hugging a tree?

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It looks too much like a BP ad. :)

Boandlkramer and Anthony repped this.