Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That nail has been hammered in already. He's almost 33, his physical tools are rapidly diminishing, and he seems like a bit of a problem child.

2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good looking, articulate sports figure at the end of his playing days. Still so many options in this media driven society. Can he dance?

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If an idiot like our Energy Secretary can, im sure Geoff could figure it out at the least

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Have they ever had a USMNT soccer player in one of those awful dancing TV shows you people watch?

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm surprised Donovan or Dempsey weren't offered a spot on there following the WC. Or Jermaine Jones; that'd have been a real hoot.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan doesn't seem the type. Deuce would be a hoot. Jones would punch someone as soon as the show wasn't about him.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    =RATINGS :D

The Irish Rover, Gorky and El Naranja repped this.
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean you thought he had another chance as 35 y.o. CB?

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    You guys read that Crystal palace made an offer on him? That is very interesting. I wonder why old 'woy would make a pass for him? At any rate DMs play a crucial roll in Woys teams so I would love to see him at palace.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I do ponder if it's just that he's seen as a cheap "Jack of all trades" option

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I see on that was a rumor back in January.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's a shame he never got a solid tournament of his own. Such an underrated figure. Kinda reminds me of Bocanegra, though Cameron had a far more consistent club career but lacked the NT prowess that Boca had.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I hope his agent is texting them now.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy need an over 30 league to play in.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    At his age and with his profile (solid all-rounder, but not a starter for a CL contender in a top-6 league) his MNT should be over. Whoever the next USA coach is has to fill his post-September squads with at players who will be able to go 90'+ in four years. That's young players breaking through now, like Parks, McKennie et al. Anyone who's even 30-31 now has to be a Jermaine Jones-level player, whose fitness issues have to be compensated for because of his top-level experience and soccer IQ.

If there are a lot of injuries to first-choice players, then maybe bring him back for the next Gold Cup (and that one only) to steady the ship with the youngsters that'll be called up before they're ready.

Assuming the coach is looking to build for the next WC cycle, rather than get through the next news cycle that is.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm curious if most of those offers are from the Championship or in the PL as part of depth.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Geoff has made a nice chunk of change at Stoke and hopefully has money saved up but $1M in LA won't get you much. He definitely gets more bang for his buck staying in England. I highly doubt at his age and milage an EPL club shows interest but I would think some top 8 Championship sides can easily make room for him.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Also depends on where/how he sees his post-play future. LA would be more enticing if he wants to end up in the booth. I'd expect England/Europe might be more interesting if he wants to go down the coaching path (though if he wants to get the free slot every ex MNT player gets in the US youth system, LA is fine for that too.)

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much $$$ do you think? Cause weren't they 1 of the clubs with the smallest payrolls in the PL?

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.spotrac.com/epl/stoke-city-f.c/payroll/

According to the link above Cameron made £1.56M which is roughly $2.1M. I am not sure, however, if these salaries are for the upcoming season and have been adjusted for relegation. I assume they reflect the 2017-18 season. Sportrac, I've found, seems to be the most reliable regarding player salaries. And to answer your question........yes, Stoke had one of the smallest payrolls. I read recently that the average EPL salary was roughly £2.6M ($3.4M) and Stoke had just a handful of players at or above that number.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He has a contract for two more years, he has plenty of time to make contacts and see what comes his way. Two million bucks is not excessive in the Championship, and that's probably his only option. Not even at his peak his style would have fit anywhere else (with money) but England, IMO.

m vann and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's what I would do.
    Does anyone know if he has a relegation clause?

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how in the back is Butland so low in wages while Summer or Berahino grossly overpaid?