Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Apart from the fact that our performances with Cameron in the side have been far better than in the intervening 4 months.

You've entrenched yourself into this position that we havent missed Cameron, seemingly based the fact we're in a higher league position than when he got injured. You're just wrong mate, accept it

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cameron did well, but Stoke has been hitting par for a while. This was also a "par" result.

I see no need to inflate a guy in particular, or to dismiss the rest of the team. They looked just as good vs. Palace, another weak side.

The game to watch is the next one, away at City. Then we can tell whether they've improved.

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Welcome back Sergei. We've missed you as much as we've missed Geoff.

And don't worry about some of the other posters, we've got your back. :)

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    That run and cut in the box by Sobhi was excellent.

5. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    We looked ********ing dreadful against Palace. This is the best we've played in months.

"Par results" makes no difference, its about performances. I dont mind losing to the big teams if we perform well, like we did in our loss at Chelsea. Last week against Spurs was a "par result" but it was also a disgusting, embarrasing capitulation.

I'm happy when we beat the smaller teams, but we've not played well in the recent wins. Today, we did play well.

6. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nice to see this place still forms opinions without bothering to watch the games

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Oatcake is gushing..... and that makes my day.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    over our Geoff? care to post some of that

9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    btw do you guys know when his contract his up? Would love to see him continue at Stoke. Spend the rest of his career there if possible.

11. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Thought he reupped last year or in 15.

12. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    hope he got a nice bonus. he's basically raised their coverage in the US by 19 households :D

wixson7 repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Constant negativity from you. Your family must be miserable.

Gacm32 and chad repped this.
  15. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Sports gave Cameron an 8 , second only to Arnautovic 9 :)

Gacm32, wixson7, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went the full 90 for the second time running. That by itself is pretty heartening.

18. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Beautiful. I missed the greatest Champions League game in years, but it was worth it.

We went 4-4-2, Cameron and Allen in the middle. They were composed on the ball and never stopped running. Shawcross had Aguero in his back pocket too

Massive praise across the board for Cameron from the Stoke fans who were there tonight

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how did our boi do?

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    As DM he calms this team. He provides that solid defensive presence in the middle of the field and frees up players, mentally and physically to play.

Every third touch or pass seemed to have ended up not where he wanted it, but I think is just lingering rust. In the last three years he's developed a more cultured presence on the ball, to the point where I think he is the best USMNT central midfielder with the ball at his feet. With all due respect to Feilhaber and Kleftchin, they aren't holding serve against ManCity and Chelsea every week. He doesn't have the final pass in him, but you wont pressure him off the ball.

I thought Pep switched it up this match. They let Stoke have more of the game. I thought it was a good strategy all told and htey had their chances, but none were easy.

Showcross had a game for sure. I thought it was a mistake pulling Allen out because as much as Cameron settles the players down, Allen makes them go.

A draw that feels like a victory. If stoke could find a striker they could be a real force.

DeCoverley and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much man, but respect to your dedication to your club. A goalless draw versus what happened in that game is not a fair fight, but to each his own.

A central midfield GC, CP, and MB is sounding quite nice to me right now. I only include MB in that as we seem to be shackled to him being in our midfield until he literally can't walk anymore. So it was going to be X, Y and MB anyway, but adding GC and CP to MB makes it at least as good as it can be with MB in there.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm amazed that he was injured for like 3/4 months and arguably has walked backed into the squad and is getting his just deserved round of acclaim.

wixson7 repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's absolutely rust, which hopefully he shakes off before qualifiers, although I agree he's still managing to be an asset with that and sub-optimal fitness + athleticism. It really is quite remarkable and illustrates what kind of contribution he can make in cm when peaking. However, I don't know if I'd say he's the best cm with the ball at his feet. He's better than Bradley and most others, same with Stoke, so it's ironic when people question that aspect of the game for him in the position. But Nagbe is better with the ball at his feet and Benny is smoother. Cameron has a pretty good touch, but then after that he's good because he realizes others are better so he gets it to them quickly, outside the occasional hero run where some come off and others backfire because the ball gets tangled.

Right, and hopefully Cameron is the x or y. Bruce should be taking notes that again Cameron looks more effective in cm so that's where he should be played and we at least shouldn't be shackled to the right-left footed cb pairing instead of playing Besler with Brooks nor starting Jones in CM whenever available in spite of his age, unreliability, and when he makes a bad double-pivot pairing w/ Bradley. How many shackles do we need to put on ourselves? That's been part of the problem in sinking to the depths we have.

ussoccer97531 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wood-JA
    FJ-Sasha/Benny-CP
    GC
    Villafana-JB-OG-DY

Not only this, but so many possibilities for sub's. This is the most exciting time since LD and DMB broke through. That turned out pretty good. Having defenders that play against our concacaf rivals consistently is not bad either. On the whole, I'm hopeful of the future.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacha has failed many times as a younger man. Benny is too old. We need freshness. Hyndman.

markandrew78 repped this.