Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe it's been four months holy hell

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i remember he was originally due to be out 1 month and holy hell time went on and on

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I love this quote by sXeistWesley. That guy can write a post...

I bet Cams frustrated - especially after that election this week! (Yes, I am cracking me up over here!)

It would be nice to have ol' Geoff back in the prem to check in on again. I hope he's up for Spurs.

4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G-Cam on the bench vs Spurs, this, at least, is good to see . . .

[​IMG]

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were already on the ascent before he got injured. Now they sit 10th, and there's effectively no difference between 10th and 13th. No, they didn't fall apart without him. He's not an indispensable player, and one of their very best. But he is an asset as a starter to them at 2/4 positions, and he proves all that much more valuable when they start to have attrition because he can fill 1 of 5 spots. Haven't been following Stoke much lately to know if they've been healthy recently or not, outside Geoff.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...ameron-returns-injury-update-stoke-city-usmnt

This is great news for Bruce Arena. Assuming all goes well for Cameron’s recovery, he should be available for selection when the USMNT roster is decided on in a couple of weeks. While we still don’t have any idea how Arena rates the European-based USMNT players, you’d have to assume someone with Cameron’s pedigree and track record would be an easy call-up if he’s available. The 31-year-old hasn’t played in a while, but his experience would be a good addition to the Arena’s plans in all likelihood.

wixson7 repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    10 minutes, not much to report on but great to see him get a run out. man I really like him as a #6.

ChuckMe92 and edcrocker repped this.
  10. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Timing was a touch off but he'll show well in 2 games.

Cameron's epl cycle: recover from injury, show well as a substitute for a run of games, get moved into the starting lineup, start to develop chemistry with the team, appear a little shaky in a couple of occasions but for the most part be effective, pick up minor knock, supposed to be out 2 weeks miss 2 months, rinse and repeat.

wixson7 repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's definitely an asset due to his versatility, but like many Jack-of-all-trades, his multiple positions are perfectly well covered in case of his absence.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The versatility obscures that he's a solid starting cdm in the Premier League, and you aren't naturally covered at the positions at utility guy plays if they also get injured. That outcome is independent. 5 positions, normally you're going to have at least a temporary injury at one over the course of 4 months. If they stayed healthy, they were fortunate. I honestly don't know if they did, but Transfermarkt only lists Cameron's injury, and Diouf's temporary nt duty at a position Geoff doesn't play, so it does seem they were lucky. Otherwise it would have likely reflected more in the standings.

Also read a thread on their forum where they anointed Lee Grant, their gk, as player of the season. He didn't open the season as their starting keeper and only took over a few games before Geoff went down. Stoke earned 8 points in those 4 games. The ascent had already started before Geoff went down, between Grant taking over betwixt the sticks, Allen breaking out, and their flair guys coming out of their slump. Geoff didn't get the full benefit of this continuation of form, which actually leveled off somewhat. 23 points in 17 games. That's a mid-table pace. A little below what was expected before the season, still. Last year they finished with a higher ppg and they made multiple significant financial investments during that winter window as well as the subsequent summer. They've still be somewhat disappointing. Should be competing for a European place.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also should mean GC gets back on the field quickly because there are many more opportunities per game for him.

14. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Uh oh. "He will certainly come into my thinking" is even more vague than "he will be important for us in the season."

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Man, you're just a bundle of positivity, aren't you?

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, there's our Geoffrey, Stoked about him getting back on the pitch.

Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Does this mean no Omar Gonzalez getting turned by Hondurans?!?

20. Crocajun1003

Crocajun1003 Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference in distribution from Brookes-Cameron to everyone else is huge. It's like walking off a distribution cliff.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I see what you did there. So far very influential in flipping defense to attack and control the flow of the game. First ten minutes top notch.

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Love the PBP thread created, finally some respect given to our boy. :)

23. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Geoff Cameron deserves massive credit this season. At the age of 31, he's found a new level to his game. Whenever he's played midfield before, he's been stilted and his lack of attacking ability stunts his game. This season, he's been our best midfielder not called Joe Allen. He slotted seamlessly back in today, after 4 months out.

We've really missed him in his absence, we've had a dreadful 4 months. Unconvincing victories over also rans and smashed by the big teams. Whereas we nicked a point at Old Trafford with Cameron in midfield.

Today could have been 5 or 6. Whelan looked so much better with a player who could run alongside him instead of Charlie Adam.

As an aside, remember the name Ramadan Sobhi, that kid is going to be top class.

24. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Immediate difference in the quality of the team.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They were expected to win vs. Boro at home. Boro is in the relegation zone for a reason.

Let's not get carried away, please.

striker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.