Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sucks when it comes down to that. Especially for a player whose been there for over 6 years.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not in the 18 again. I have to think there's a move coming soon.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully not to the reserves. My guess is some kind of a loan deal. Just a matter of how much salary Stoke will have to absorb.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if Bremen really were interested, he should have jumped at that.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might have been interested but probably not at his salary or contract length.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looking at their roster, could Stoke have been stupid (confident) enough not to include relegation clauses in the contracts they were handing out. They took a really old, high wage group down. Crouch has a contract through 2020, maybe he's making enough that not seeing the 18, every, is preferable to taking a paycut. True, he could be playing somewhere, but with the money he's making he could simply enjoy being well off and be spending all of his Saturdays at the Trentham Monkey Forest!

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we finally get an answer to the question in the title before his career with the Potters officially comes to an end? Was he able to do it?

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna say YES, which is more definite than the on-going crisis on whether Messi could manage it.

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes for a number of years Geoff was a good employee for the club. Hard working blue collar player, and he was a good fit for Stoke. A classic tweener, not good enough to own a position, but too good to sit with the trainer.

He was always consistent, with the odd WTF moment thrown in just about every game, sometimes it was costly, sometimes getting away with it. Loved me some Geoff Cameron, but he is now a mere shell of the footballer he once was.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Geoff Cameron: the greatest of all workhorses.

11. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    In talks to join QPR on loan, according to Sky.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ah damn, i was hoping to see him switch leagues ala Bocanegra (though he went to 2nd division Spain).

14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Seems sensible. Anything other than a loan or a move to the Middle East would probably result in a pay decrease.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR have nowhere to go but up in the Championship table with 3 pts. from 5 matches and giving up a league high 13 goals. If Geoff is match fit, I feel certain he can be an instant upgrade in their backline. I was hoping to see Geoff land elsewhere like France or Bundesliga ( I or II BL) but those chances were descreasing each day we hasn't signed. Nonetheless, it will be nice to see geoff playiing again week in and week out.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    as long as he doesn't go near the USMNT I'm happy.

onefineesq and m vann repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You said it, not me. :) :D

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The best guarantee of that would be to rehire Klinsmann, now that Cameron is playing in the English Championship.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Klinsmann wasn't particularly fond of the Championship, he'd call 2.Bundesliga players above them.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so is it that he'd preferred a move to London or didn't wanna slash his wages to join a foreign club?

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Goodnight Paulie 2Trials...
    Goodnight Papadapatoodrunk...
    Goodnight Mikey Cabcrook...
    Honu says "the sanctimoniousest sleep the tightest..!"

2016_Hawaii_turtle5smll.jpg

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP.

Like @ChrisSSBB said, Bremen could not take him at his Stoke wages, but Bremen would have been much more in his interests in sporting terms. After 7 seasons in the EPL he's made enough bank to trade the lost income from going to BL1 until June 30th: better football, bigger crowds, European exposure, facing CL attackers gets him back in the MNT frame (or the opposite :confused:).

And if he is in decline, then a move to MLS would/should be under consideration. MLS would surely offer him a deal until he's 34 or even 35 and he'd be much more marketable as "an EPL veteran who's just finished a season on loan at former Budeliga Champions Werder Bremen."

Edit:
    Not to mention having a better coach than Steve McClaren :eek:

23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Maybe he just wants to live in London and make a bunch of money while playing at a high level? Hard to fault the man for that.

I doubt his "marketability", for whatever that is worth, is effected at all by whether he plays at Werder Bremen or QPR in his final season. He is known by people who pay attention in the U.S. for having played in the EPL for six years. Not sure what it does for him to play a final year for a mid-level German team as opposed to QPR.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A new league for 1. Different experience. But again quite telling that 2nd division English clubs pay more than mid-table German clubs in the Bundesliga

The Irish Rover repped this.