Generic media/team DC United coverage thread (this stuff doesn't deserve it's own thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Mar 4, 2016.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A media note of sorts. Read the link on B&RU that Daryl Grove, co-host of the Total Soccer Show has been diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer that has spread to his liver. There is a Go Fund Me page set up on his behalf "Team Daryl Grove" for anyone who is interested in making a donation.

TownKrier and GumbyG repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...unt-us-open-cup-format-and-schedule-finalized

The 2019 US Open Cup format and funkiness have been announced.

I was gonna give it its own thread but we don't get involved until June so we'll wait :)

key dates:

Fourth Qualifying Round – April 6 & 7
    First Round Pairings Announced – April 10
    Second Round Pairings & Possible Pairings Announced – April 17

First Round – May 7 & 8*
    Second Round – May 14 & 15*
    Third Round – May 29

Fourth Round Draw – May 30
    • The 11 Third Round winners and 21 Division I (Major League Soccer) clubs will be divided geographically into eight groups of four, with teams who are precluded from playing each other until the Final per tournament regulations (i.e. pro teams and their affiliated Open Division sides) placed in different groups. Each group will have at least one and no more than two Third Round winners, with pairs drawn randomly but done so that each Third Round winner faces an MLS team.
    Fourth Round – June 12*
    • Number of Games: 16
    • Participants: 11 Third Round winners and 21 Division I (MLS) clubs.
    • Competition: Eleven games will be between Third Round winners and MLS teams, while the remaining five matchups will be MLS vs. MLS affairs.
    Round of 16 Draw – June 13
    • The Fourth Round winners will be divided geographically (regardless of league affiliation) into groups of four, with teams who are precluded from playing each other until the Final per tournament regulations (i.e. pro teams and their affiliated Open Division sides) placed in different groups. A random draw will determine the pairings within each group, resulting in a fixed bracket for the remainder of the tournament. Should a precluded pair of teams reach the Semifinal Round and be scheduled to face each other, the matches will be re-drawn after the Quarterfinal Round to avoid this outcome.
    Round of 16 – June 19* (also June 18-23 if home team chooses and visiting team has at least three non-game days on each side of chosen date, with any overlap of U.S. MNT Gold Cup games on June 18 and June 22 disallowed)

Quarterfinals – July 10*

Draw to Determine Hosts for Semifinals and Final – July 11

Semifinals – August 7*

Final – August 27 or 28

JayRockers! and John L repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usadcu repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Sky Mexico’s website features Wayne Rooney...

...still wearing Everton colors for the Premier League.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitch Pass w/ Paul Arriola

Warning: audio starts automatically
    https://dc101.iheart.com/featured/r...blistering-start-to-the-new-dc-united-season/

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    DC United made the top 10 in something!

sitruc repped this.
  7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman, Winoman, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  8. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC United is anywhere close to being 1st in the Eastern Conference as they are right now, what are the odds a reserve-heavy team plays?

9. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid question, but why do we have a bye this week and then play 3 games in 8 days after that? This seems stupid.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Cause it's an official FIFA window. Would you rather play these games without Arriola, Moreno and Durkin? I wouldn't.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I never understood why some teams play and some don’t during an international break. Does it even out over the course of the season?

12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    MLS started off totally ignoring the FIFA international weekends. Only recently have they scheduled just a few games on these weekends. Only 10 teams played last weekend.

13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Lay off MLS, they finally got rid of the in conference unbalanced schedule ... with a parting gift of extra games last year vs NJ & Atlanta ...

I wonder, does the unbalanced schedule come back with the next round of expansion?

14. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I guess the follow up is why they play any during the window.... I know, MLS..

I forgot it was an international window

15. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    dadman and sitruc repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    And don't forget to hit up Troy Perkins for the mortgage.

USSoccerNova, dadman, sitruc and 4 others repped this.
  17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we play three games with Montreal this season?

18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it has been awhile since the DC days, Bruce Arena is in consideration for the Scotland job.

Winoman repped this.
  19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Scotland want him? He's a bit of a retread after his most recent USA National Team failure.

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    National team football coaching is like a carousel. He's failed enough times for people to think he knows what he is doing. Sort of like NBA coaching

dadman, Dizi, tallguy and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    pablo maurer just did a pretty cool q&a session hosted by the athletic (which was dcu focused, naturally)

my question:

Olsen seems unwilling to rotate the squad no matter how congested the DCU calendar is with back to back fixtures. Do you think guys like Steiber are able to stay sharp despite the lack of minutes? Can Rooney handle the grind and remain injury free?

In Rooney's case, Ben will let him play until the wheels fall off. That has a lot to do with Wayne, who wants to be on the field at all times - that's refreshing, of course, in a league where many players refuse to play on turf or take games off, etc - but you have to think it'll eventually catch up to him, as well. In regards to Steiber, I think he's an ideal bench player at this point. He's looked fine coming in as a sub.

in reply to another fan asking about zoltan:

Which of United's wingers would you pull in his favor right now? Difficult to see him supplanting anybody at the moment in either of the two formations Ben's rolled out. Zoltan is a technical player who fits in well in this league, but the club overpayed for him.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  22. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Stieber was totally out of sorts when he came on against Minnesota. He had numerous miscommunications with Rooney and Moreno that caused us to lose posession.

23. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is an odd situation. The T&T game carries a lot of weight admittedly, but I think there was only one other prior to that in the last go round and that was to Costa Rica. Granted maybe a couple of draws at home that could have been more inspiring, but took over after 2 losses. Anyway, probably worse options out there.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Winoman repped this.