Generic media/team DC United coverage thread (this stuff doesn't deserve it's own thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Mar 4, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Every mention of him has had the qualifier that he's a fan and has worked for the team...

JayRockers! repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Worked for DCU, Houston, CSN Midlantic and ESPN. Was with ESPN at the World Cup.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  3. 20oth

20oth Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Severn, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    11:30 and no mention of the game at the Washington Post. Maybe Goff's lack of interest in fan issues has carried over to actual games

Dizi, NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The dead tree edition had a three paragraph recap from “wire services”.

This is the kind of coverage what $400M and Rooney gets you.

<crickets>

Thx,

Jay!

20oth and Winoman repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The usual excuse was the game was over after the print deadline, pretty hard to swallow when that one yesterday was over at 5:30. Anyone who thinks that having a beat reporter "on the job" is worth anything is very easy to deceive Maybe the Post prohibits reporting on sports events unless you actually attend, I can state with certainty they don't prohibit reporting when the writer is completely clueless.

TowsonDad and Dizi repped this.
  6. 20oth

20oth Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Severn, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Never thought the "paper" would have it before the website....perhaps it's in the obituary section and I just missed it..

JayRockers! repped this.
  7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I dunno, maybe Goff is mailing it in at this point. The fact that emoji's crept into his official WaPo twitter feed, seemed highly unprofessional, as was his 2nd response to the Ultras. Maybe dude is just done. Ready for something else.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Wouldn't that be my dream come true?

24 days a month, 7 hours a day? Hope not, I watch every game despite the broadcast crew

Q*bert Jones III and Dizi repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're gonna brand it as Channel 7 they should be forced to put it on one of the 7.n channels - especially since 7 is the only set of channels I can pick up OTA (for now, they're all changing their frequencies).

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  11. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    And still Annapolis and Baltimore regions do not receive local broadcasts....unreal

Winoman, sitruc and fatbastard repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    They do because Baltimore and Annapolis are in a different locality and have their own local broadcasters. Same with Richmond and Norfolk.
    The Prime Meridian doesn't pass through Dupont Circle and DC isn't the center of the Universe.

13. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, newspaper coverage is a good thing, lack of it is a bad thing. And you must have positively loved Fox calling World Cup games from a studio in LA. Lulz.

Winoman repped this.
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure that was his point - and that United FO is ********ed up not to have made sure not all of those locations get to watch their most-local professional 1st division team. Like they did last season with, supposedly, the same deal in place.

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I get his point but keep in mind that DC United is very DoC centric, to the point residents of the larger jurisdictions find it mildly insulting. So in their eyes they cover the entire known world of DC, and by luck Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria gets the signal or the cable coverage.
    Second and most importantly the "local" broadcast is a debit not a credit to the team, The team pays for the station to carry the broadcast, who shares in the commercial revenues is almost moot they are very low budget affairs, and may be paid for in barter for services. I doubt the team can afford to pay any other station to carry the games and that is that. If they are still paying for a larger transmission area that's bad on them. Of course my whole premise is based on how it used to be if it has changed I'll stand corrected PDQ

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually I could care less if they broadcast it from the international space station, and I watched Spanish language broadcasts so it may have come from Miami so who cares? Besides you, I guess.
    I am happy to note that Fox's version of the final outcome agrees with the consensus held by the rest of the world. For once
    Newspaper coverage needs to actually provide a regular flow of reliable news and without it it's worthless so a lack of it isn't necessarily bad

17. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    This is the first year I can EVER remember that the Annapolis/Baltimore area does NOT get any tv stations for the matches. They always had a deal for those locations due to the amount of folks that have come from those areas. The deal this year they left out anything outside the closest MD areas. ESPN+ is the only way to watch. Local bars were not happy about losing it, cause they do draw folks. We had to stop Annapolis watch parties due to this. Hope this gets fixed for next year.

bigredfutbol, Dizi, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.
  18. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it is. So is advertising, but you do it to sell your team and sport.

I was in Deale, MD (about 20 miles south of Annapolis, 45 minutes from DC), on Saturday night and was with some people who said they'd be up for watching the game after I brought it up. We went to a bar that had sports on TVs and they said "no problem, here's the remote" for one of them (because I couldn't tell them what channel).

After not being able to find the game in 10-15 minutes of searching DirecTV and OTA channels we gave up.

I was with people who like sports in general and soccer a bit but don't follow United at all. It makes the team and league looks small time (hardly "major league") when you can't find a game on TV a hour from DC.

I don't know that they would have become fans by watching that game but they sure won't by not watching it.

dadman, Winoman, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It's evident why you aren't up there on the team masthead as an owner/operator. You spend where you expect to get the best return for your money and the Baltimore market isn't generating the bang for the buck.
    And the reason why the team and MLS look small time it's because looking at the real "Major" league sports, they are.

20. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Except approx 40% of DCU fans come from the MD area when they did a poll a couple of years ago. This TV deal is the worst the club has ever had.

Winoman, bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.
  21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    You sure? The way the club seems to operate 99% of the fans live, work, and never leave DC and had their cars impounded years ago. ;)
    And how many now? I bet less.
    And no, it's not the worst because for quite some time they had no local broadcast deal at all.

dcchelseafc repped this.
  22. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deale, Maryland is closer to downtown DC (30 miles) than to downtown Baltimore (40 miles).

P.S. - The snark is not necessary to have a conversation. You must take it pretty hard when someone simply disagrees with you.

sitruc repped this.
  23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    There's no snark except in your individual perception. What qualifies you to comment on how to run a multi million dollar enterprise or for that matter to practice psychology, which incidentally is not necessary to have a conversation either.
    I think it was a fair question since you opined on how to run a business.
    I know where Deale is I've sailed in and out of there many times in the 70's and 80's as well as several of the other eastern Bay communities south of Annapolis. Of course back then if you suggested tuning in soccer in a bar down that way you'd meet some very firm resistance from the watermen who frequented the place

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The bottomline is NC8 does not even cover the entire DC market and there are no options for some nearby markets and submarkets. Past deals with CSN haven't been perfect, but there were no doubts about the range of the coverage.

25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Obviously