Generic media/team DC United coverage thread (this stuff doesn't deserve it's own thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Mar 4, 2016.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW I bought 1 DCU scratch-off ($2) and won $10.

*Results not guaranteed

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think technically, you won $8 ;)

NicktheGreek and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  3. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Technically, this may be the only chance to win anything that looks like silver this year. Now if only we could put that money to some good use... like getting a replacement for Marcelo

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Marcelo certainly is off to a slow start. Last year at this time I thought he was our best player.

5. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, hi Chicago, congrats on the Schweinsteiger signing. That's great. Only 32, too. He's definitely got some legs left. Probably gives you a good solid 3-4 years at least. We've got a lot of experience bringing in these older guys with veteran experience. Don't let the naysayers tell you it won't work.

Anyways, yeah, um, well, let me get to the point, I guess with Schweinsteiger and Juninho and Dax though you're kind of a bit overloaded with central midfielders. I mean, the soccer media in the country is already pummeling you, saying how Dax is now the odd man out and Schweinsteiger didn't fit your needs.

Anyways, again, so listen, we've been friends for a while, done a couple of deals with Rolfe and Nyarko in recent years, and hey, we even gave you that 98 championship with those two bs offiside calls, or I guess I should say non calls, but anyways, again, listen, I'm willing to help you out here and take Dax and his big salary off your hands. Kind of a favor to you. What do you want? An international slot? Some TAM? Or GAM? Or maybe you know, a back-up central midfielder for you like Marcelo, he'll get along great with fellow Brazilian Juninho or maybe a center defender like Opare or Boswell. Let's talk. I mean, we're not desperate or anything. I just want to help you out. Hell, I'll even eat some salary of whoever we send you. Let's do this. Really. Like today maybe.

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Of course DCU could get Perry. He's sitting on the bench at Hearts and the supporters have turned on him.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't heard this. Please tell us more.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There Is a Hearts thread in the Americans abroad or whatever the forum is called.

9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    None of the Kitchen stuff surprises me. He was an above average MLS player -- usually. He languished for a long time before Hearts made an offer to him. The SPL is, at best, a lateral move from MLS. Perry's eyes were bigger than his stomach -- he's a solid MLS player, nothing more, nothing less. He should return, but because he's been capped, he would fall into the allocation lists. I also don't think Olsen would want him back, but that's pure supposition on my part.

11. WhyMe

WhyMe Member

Nov 7, 2015
    NYC
    844350428338962434 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not DCU related, but too good not to share someplace. There is a fan vote to come up with a name for the hypothetical MLS franchise in San Diego. So far, the leader by a huge margin is "Footy McFooty Face."

13. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    It's a complaint framed with a recitation of facts most favorable to the plaintiff (Horton). They aren't adjudicated facts, let's see how this plays out. I could make some snarky points about how Horton left England for "personal reasons" and didn't suit up for awhile with DCU before any of these incidents occurred, but that would be as "factual" as the allegations in the complaint. The point is, no one should jump to conclusions, this is the introduction to what might be a long story.

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    So is that the windy version of "Why no Nick it hasn't" or "I can't believe you missed it"?

15. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    yet ANOTHER Concussion issue with the club. poor Namoff, he still isn't right :(

yabo and usadcu repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If what he says is true, I have no problem with him suing Espy, but suing the team and the coach seems like a bit of a stretch. What kind of "supervision" would have prevented this? These are grown men.

ImNumberTen and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Since Espy is in Mexico and an Argentinian citizen, the chances of Horton obtaining jurisdiction of Espy are quite low. Maybe he could get a default judgement, but how do you collect if the guy never returns to the US and has no assets here?

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I think the same logic should be applied to the team's performance making the necessity for a coaching staff highly questionable

19. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially given their history, they should be even more cautious. It's a lack of organizational integrity. Starts at the top with absent ownership.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    That's the plaintiff's side. How much can the organization be at fault if one of the guys is being an ass?

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Big contracts often have deferred compensation in them. I don't know if Espindola had that in his, but if Horton receives a judgement they could grab any award prior to final payment to Espindola.

22. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You might be right, but I don't believe Espy's contract was that big and because his contract was with MLS, I would be surprised if there was any deferred amounts. Remember, he was sold to Mexico by Vancouver for some transfer fee which I am sure canceled the MLS contract for some agreed upon sum. In other words, unless Espy returns to the US tor reside or has some other assets here, Horton is shit out of luck even if he prevails.

In other legal news -- did you see Namoff has a malpractice action against his former lawyers? Appears that he original case against DCU/MLS was going to be dismissed and he was going to be subject to fines because his lawyers did not disclose information to the defense in discovery. The issue was evidence of Namoff's economic damages because his lawyers allegedly covered up evidence of income Namoff received from some youth soccer program. Understand they are all allegations and unproven now, but if true, his lawyers really screwed the pooch. Also makes the dismissal of Namoff's original lawsuit understandable now, becuase he alleges it was going to be tossed based on his alleged bad behavior regarding discovery. What a mess.

Winoman, John L and sitruc repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Poor Namoff - medical malpractice followed by legal malpractice.

24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, Bryan Namoff was the best player few remember today. I think he started something like 195 matches. It seemed like every match he cleared a potential goal off the line at the last minute.

TowsonDad, yabo, Winoman and 2 others repped this.