**General News Thread**

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Java65, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Vulpinous repped this.
  3. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks man!

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the myths this perpetuates is the "shirt sales" myth. This author takes a far too simplistic view of "shirt sales". While technically its correct the sales of "Player X" shirts is never going to cover a transfer fee or salary there is much more to it than that.

Shirt sales directly impact the deal you can get from shirt manufacturers. The bigger names you sign, the more shirts you sell and suddenly that 5 mill Nike deal you signed doubles when its time to renew because you are selling more shirts.

When you sign a big name, you'll more than likely drive more users to your social media sites, more followers on social media, mean more eyes on your shirt and that means more $$$ from a kit sponsor next time around.

When you sign a big name player from another country you are increasing your marketing opportunities in that country for your team and league. If your team and league gain popularity in a certain region you can leverage that to better TV deals.

There are so many ways big name players impact the bottom line beyond winning that looking at simply the number or shirts sold is far too simplistic. When I use the term "shirt sales", its a euphemism for branding

Haakon24 repped this.
  5. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    You should run the numbers, you will realise that even the eventual increase in sponsorship deals in no way covers most of these stars salaries, let alone transfer fees.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at this article. ManU got a 750 million (75 mil per year) deal from Adidas. They get 47 mil (pounds) from Chevy. There salaries for last year were 203 mil so those 2 deals alone cover about 65% of their salaries. That doesn't include the other sponsors who advertise in the stadium, on their sites, branding revenue across the globe.

We haven't even looked at how much they take in from foreign TV deals. Branding is where you make all of your money CL cash is chump change to a team like Man U, Barca or RM.

7. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Thats not how you do it. Their current revenues have nothing to do with potential gains from new signings, everyone knows Man U's revenues are high. Zlatan's deal had a minimal impact on revenues, and cost them more than 30M for 1 year, thats the comparison you need to make

If you want to adopt this strategy, then you will have to make huge signings worth hundreds of millions every year, there is no way that is cost effective or could be covered by increase of sponsorships.

8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a 1 or 2 player situation. Man U didn't become Man U valuable by signing Ibra. They did it by having world class players that drew people from all over the world.

Take a look at Man U's Business Strategy from their investor site I linked below. Their entire strategy revolves around increasing revenue in other parts of the world. Last year they signed 6 global sponsorship and five regional sponsorship deals. They opened an office in Hong Kong in 2012 to help promote their brand.

You do this by marketing and part of marketing is signing players with large global appeal or targeted regional appeal. Like I said it's not a 1 or 2 player deal. It takes more than 1 year but signing globally recognized players is certainly part of this.

Like I said, look at the link below and you can see that Man U are focused like a laser beam on branding. It's all they talk about and its where the vast majority of their money comes from.

So while you will not recoup the cost of signing a big name player in the long run having world class players wear your shirt leads to 500 mil in annual revenue for a club like Man U.

http://ir.manutd.com/company-information/business-strategy.aspx

9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yes, if you spend 4 Billions on transfers and wages, eventually you will reach 500M revenues, thats my point. The reason these clubs could reach this level is not transfers and the branding, its because they owned their stadiums and made huge profits. Then they used these profits to buy big players for the last decade, and overtime their brand value increased. If they just bought big players without a solid commercial base, they would have collapsed, just like the Milano clubs.

The big transfers are a net cost to the club, not a net profit, even if you take branding in consideration. Big clubs can afford it anyways, but not because Ibra is selling more shirts.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  11. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Most of our players are still on leave because they had international duty, the exception is DDR who cut his vacation short.

Java65 repped this.
  12. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Il
    Il Capitano leading by example, hoping for another strong season from Daniele.

Haakon24, whill4, Java65 and 3 others repped this.
  13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had my issues with DDR but I do love his version of "il Capitano". He seems to be a much more active captain than Totti.

shiboboo repped this.
  14. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perotti said their goal is to bring a trophy home this season and people are all over him.

Like what do you want him to say?

We're gonna suck. I'm just trying not to get hurt. Looking forward to a raise next summer.

La Magica, Haakon24, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it earlier this week that Monchi was getting ripped apart. He needs to sign Salah's replacement now. Not in 2 weeks, not next week, not while they are in the US but right away. He's already getting ridiculed for (if rumors are true) spending 18 mil on Defrel, fans are on edge because he's sold some key players and hasn't really added anybody of significance.

Just like we were talking about earlier Italians are very literal and if they feel they are being lied to will not take it well. As it stands now this team is much weaker than the one that finished the season and Perotti talking about winning anything is not going to be received well by Roma fans because they know right now it's BS.

Monchi made 2 key mistakes that is going to make his life much more difficult. First, he made the supermarket comment and there was zero chance we were selling Rudiger. Fans feel like he lied and disrespected them (not saying it's true but this is big to Italians). Second he didn't have a legitimate replacement ready to go for one of Salah or Rudiger.

16. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans need to get over it. The dude was brought in to build a team. You have to give him a chance and stop second guessing him as if they know better. The buying window opened only 6 days ago. He is trying to find the right deals. The midfield has already improved a lot (Pellegrini + Gonalons + cash for Paredes). He is looking for a Salah replacement, a vice-Dzeko, and a LB. Let the man do the work and let the results speak for themselves.

17. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even that for me. Perotti isn't speaking on a macro level. It's not his job to give a state of the union.

He's talking about his own approach to the season. You'd rather him come into preseason with no confidence, because the mercato looks bleak when it's incomplete? Gtfo

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Roma_NY @Wolfbeatseagle Look, I'm just the messenger... so hold your fire. I'm just telling you how they think. When they hear Perotti say what he said they look at it as a good soldier, drinking the company kool-aid and doing as he's told. They feel like he is lying and that's a big deal to them, it shows a lack of respect. I'm with you on Perotti I'd rather him have a winners mentality, but again that's not culture there.

I'm not saying they (the fans in Rome) are right or wrong.. but what I am saying is this is the reality Monchi and Perotti live in and right or wrong you need to deal with the realities. Any goodwill he might have had is gone. Everyday that goes by will make it more difficult for Monchi and Perotti would be better off not talking because he's in a no win situation.

Like it or not that's how it is there and I doubt very much they are going to give him a month, forget a year, to build the team the way he wants. If this team struggles next year he will be crucified. If you listen to the radio personalities they are already talking about "poor EDF" and being lied to and taking over a team that was dismantled and having no time to work with a full squad..

19. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And people wonder why every player/manager says it is so difficult to win in Rome. We probably have the most insecure fans in football other than Arsenal. But probably the most hypocritical. Those most critical fans are probably the same ones who talk about loyalty, passion, and grinta. I thought it didn't matter who played or if we won as long as there was passion?

wm72 repped this.
  20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol.. I hear ya. I'm going to throw this out there now and we can circle back in Sept to see how accurate it is. I can't remember if it was Monchi or JP that said this new squad would be "more Italian". God help them if they don't add a couple more Italian players because I have no doubts that will come up.

21. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its very simple and Pallotta has failed to grasp it and now Monchi has followed in those steps. Raise your voice when you need to defend the team but do not talk if you are going to go back on your word. Its very simple stuff. Stay quite until you can say something concrete.

The fans have a right to be pissed. We sold two starters and haven't replaced them. One of them didn't even have to be sold. I'll reserve my judgement until the season starts though. Let's see if we replace what we lost evenly.

Java65 repped this.
  22. Deini

Deini Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Holland
    Which 2 starters have been sold? Only Salah as of right now. My gut feeling is that Manolas will be sold and that we keep Rudiger.

23. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Apparently they're saying Rudiger is a goner for sure. Just blows my mind that were set on selling either or. Its not like we had 1 weak defenceman and just sold one or both were bad so we wanted to get rid of both. It looks like we're just trying to move one or the other. I really don't get it unless Monchi really just has a defenceman in mind that he thinks is better than both. Maybe this Foyth kid is really good, but is he going to come in and be better than what we had?

24. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like you I'm going to reserve judgement until Sept 1. I can't see this Foyth kid coming in and helping, he has limited experience in Argentina. It's hard enough for a 19 year old to play CB at the highest level, forget someone with no experience in European competition and very limited experience in SA. I'm hoping this is a purchase for the future and he ends up going out on loan.