**General News Thread**

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Java65, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://asromainenglish.com/2017/01/09/italianism-or-romanism-the-future-for-roma/

The Chinese economy has done something wonderous – or, is it absurd – for world football.
    Players who were being paid three million six months ago, now find their salaries quadrupled, if not more with offers from Shangai, Gangzhou Evergrande, and other imperial clubs within China’s mainland.

In Italy alone, we have seen the Chinese Yen come to the rescue of the debt-riddled and managerially-failing Milan clubs. Following Silvio Berlusconi’s headaches (too much Bunga-Bunga) and Massimo Moratti’s “modest” bank accounts, the Chinese have offered lifelines to the stripes in Lombardi.

In irony’s truest form, now the Chinese ownerships have declared their intent to transform the teams into young Italian powerhouses – the new shining stars, le stelle of Italia. Yes, that’s right, after Inter’s literal foundations in being the international club of Italy, for foreign players, the emphasis has now shifted to the owners proclaiming their love and mission to make the team Italian. Milan’s Mr. Bee, or whoever it is now, has attested to just the same. Try to wrap your head around that one.

This got me to thinking, was it really important that Roma had an Italian identity? I tweeted after the Genoa-Roma match that it wasn’t important, that I’d rather sign the Lithuanian national team if it meant a Scudetto for Roma. But, that’s not entirely true, and I apologize.

After a long thought, I considered… What does it matter if a young player from Piedmont, Torino, or Modena comes to play for Roma? That somehow their Italian pride will make them a better player when playing for their nation’s capital? It’s a stretch.

What’s more important is that the player is a product of Rome – manufactured from the Primavera and/or the inferno that is the Eternal Capital. One who understands the ambiance, the attitudes, the pressures, and maybe most importantly, the expectations.

Further, Romans are not like other Italians – they see themselves as Romans first, then Italians, as “Frank” is famously quoted as saying.

But what is important, and what is crucial to the team’s essence, and to the missing tifosi, is that there is Roman blood within the squad.

It’s impossible to think of a Roma without the Bandiere – the true leaders, those who sacrifice greater successes and riches for the sake of their city and their team. Do I have to say it? TottiDeRossiFlorenzi. One word.

In terms of nurturing the next Bandiere, the “Go on loan and figure it out” policy has really been a thorn in Roma’s side. In fact, it has almost always failed.

Amato Ciciretti, who was supposed to be “The next Totti” went on loan for a couple years, was released by the club, and is now being scouted by Napoli. Marco D’Alessandro is becoming a useful piece at Atalanta. Lorenzo Pellegrini is growing exponentially at Sassuolo (thank God for the buyback), Gianluca Caprari was bought by Inter, Federico Viviani and Valerio Verre both showed signs of promise following their Primavera-championship-winning-years, Elio Capradossi is lost somewhere in Bari, trying to find his way. The list goes on.

A solution to this catastrophe of Roman talent is to make a “B Team,” like there is in Spain. But lets stay on task here.

The Primavera squad right now, still led by Alberto De Rossi, just keeps marching to success. They just conquered Inter 1-0 to speed to the semifinals of the Coppa Italia.

The Giallorossi will continue to risk losing their young treasures if smart loans are not made, to competent and fostering clubs which nurture Roma’s boys. But that’s a lot to ask for as well.

Marco Tumminello is another one of these – a Stefano Okaka Chuka, a Sadiq Umar. The next big striker who is supposed to lead Roma for years to come. It’s crucial that Roma does everything they can to provide the best environment for his development – either by training with the first-team and slow introduction, or on-loan at a healthy club with option to repurchase.

With this Roman identity strengthened – this Romanità – the club will reestablish itself as more than just a team. It is Rome, and if we keep the emphasis on coveting players from the system as strong as the flow of the Tiber, we can be assured of pride and victory to come.

porreca, romanista8910, Java65 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shiboboo repped this.
  3. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Generally after a comment like that, our players tend to have a terrible game.

Shen-O, mancini30, shiboboo and 3 others repped this.
  4. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I love Ninja but winners do their talking on the pitch, always.

Maybe he said that because of his passion for Roma or the fact he really does hate rube but i remember rudi coming out and declaring that we will win the scudetto after that shitty 3-2 game and we ended up with nothing as usual

5. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care for blabbering in the press under any circumstances, but I don't doubt Ninja means what he says.

Which is why it's not the same as when Rudi talked. He blew hot air every presser and would whistle past the graveyard after any bad performance.

romanista8910 repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I officially have a man-crush on Ninja. :laugh:

La Magica and romanista8910 repped this.
  7. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year at this time, I was on the sell Ninja bus, take the money. I couldn't be further away from that now. Last year, he was so much heart, but this year, his talent has caught up to way he plays.

Honestly, and I may get crushed for this, I would prefer him to wear the armband over DDR.

Oban14, ErPupone and Java65 repped this.
  8. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Apparently ninja is facing a ban now cause his comments.
    Ffs

9. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    lol of course but nothing comes out from the fact that the president of the mighty juventus calls another club "sore losers"

10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying you hate Juventus is just as bad as Lulic's racist comments in the FIGC's eyes.

meazza, Oban14, Shen-O and 3 others repped this.
  11. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has to be a put on.

Shen-O repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
  13. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  14. Indian_Gladiator

Sep 4, 2014
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    We have the best rating in Europe and are at the top of the table according to Whoscored.com.

15. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Midfield General repped this.
  17. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i hope one of the English clubs see this and cash in. The guy has been terrible

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lies, damn lies and stats.

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    wm72, whill4, porreca and 2 others repped this.
  20. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    wm72 and Midfield General repped this.
  21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those "Best XI" lists are just made to rustle jimmies.

23. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1248 wm72, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    I often go to the whoscored site because I like the layout for match lineups and simple details etc. . .

However, their rating "formula" seems extremely simplistic because it so highly values very basic "activity" in a few areas. Peres is a perfect example because I've seen Whoscored give him very high ratings in matches where he was easily the most frustrating player on the side.

The good rating seemed based on simply getting tons of touches since the ball is so often played to him in the attacking third.

That those touches were him constantly passing backwards when better passes were available actually helped his rating since the completion percentage went up and he never lost the ball. Fullbacks who press forward also seemingly add a lot of rating points by intercepting a few passes since opponents constantly try to play the ball behind them.

ErPupone, shiboboo and Marco9 repped this.
  24. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I'm in Rome and I visited my cousin and his wife who were both born and raised here.. life long Roma fans. My cousin thinks that Roma should do everything to keep Spalletti even if it means giving Totti the boot.

His wife is just the opposite. Doesn't like Spalletti and want Totti to stay. Both think Pallotta is to absent and they both don't like Saba.

Just thought it was interesting getting the point of view of native Romans who live here still

Shen-O, Vulpinous, Gianluca511 and 5 others repped this.
  25. Monchi

Monchi Red Card

Jun 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

wm72 repped this.