General Football Thread - Any other business

Discussion in 'England' started by Marcho Gamgee, Apr 12, 2018.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    On paper that looks a sensible move for Maddison. I was getting worried he might get taken by a club with much more competition for places in the starting XI.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Am I misreading the thread? Maddison has been linked with Leicester, but I thought the previous posts in this thread were talking about Grealish to Leicester.

3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yes, you are right. Maddison has been linked with Everton recently.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah sorry I must have forgot to put a link in my post. So it was confusing. Leicester also linked with Patrick Roberts -

If they signed them all Leicester would be the team to watch for us.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    We are trying to sign the entire Under 21's it seems.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    BarryfromEastenders and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep they would be one of my favorites.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    RB Leipzig, Spurs and Southampton all chasing Lookman apparently. Not sure Spurs would be a good move tbh, think Leipzig would be the best bet as think he will get regular starts with a top 5 team in Germany and continue to show his attacking play. Southampton under Hughes, just can't see it unless it's a loan. Or the other option of course, is to stay at Everton, not sure if Marco Silva wants to keep him but it will be a crying shame if he stays but doesn't get the game time his talent deserves. I hope he makes a permanent move to Leipzig as far as I'm concerned.

https://readbundesliga.com/2018/06/...zig-fight-for-the-signing-of-ademola-lookman/

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jenks, David Hurford, W.A.S.P. and 2 others repped this.
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #35 BarryfromEastenders, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

W.A.S.P. and hussar repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

This is such a Chelsea thing to do if this comes off! Such a shame though as I personally think he should be in the Premier League next season, not back in the Championship :confused:

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    This is just a gossip at the moment. Hopefully nothing is true of it, because this would be the worst option for Grealish, with Barkley, RLC and Mount in that position too.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, we really need our players spread out throughout the Premier League getting game time, not being stockpiled at a few Clubs where they are competing against each other to get games.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2026 World Cup will be hosted in North America, basically the U.S.:)

Probably will be seeing my first World Cup action then. Proud day.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Really would be the worst move imaginable. It would mean that he won't play in the Premier League at Villa next season, so that he can not play in the Premier League at Chelsea thereafter.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can only imagine Grealish would agree to this because he thinks he'll do well and has great ability, which he does, but Chelsea won't care about that unless he's absolutely class.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I could be wrong but I’m sure I heard he hasn’t got an agent representing him, not that it would guarantee he makes the right decision but if he had a good one that only has Grealish’s best footballing interests at heart, surely a move to Chelsea wouldn’t be a good move unless money is the objective and that would be disappointing.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  19. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I know it's just the Sun, but according to them "James Maddison on the verge of completing £20m-plus Southampton move." Which would be perhaps the best for him, if it's true.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Maddison's now looking increasingly likely to go to Leicester, according to a few sources (Telegraph, Sky, etc.). I hope so. I think that's a better option than Southampton right now, and that Puel is a better manager for him to play under than Hughes.

Not sure how it would affect their interest in Grealish, but I'm less convinced that he should go there anyway - his preferred position is on the left, which would put him in direct competition with Gray and Albrighton.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    He's having a medical today.

Grealish isn't happening for Leicester.

I have a feeling Gray will move on this summer.

22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    And where will it leave Harvey Barnes?

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Out on loan somewhere

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I know Twitter is usually an awful example to use regarding any type of football fan but I still can’t believe the grief Grealish gets from Irish people on there. This is a lad that has always supported England on his Twitter. Even when he did play for them.

25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Play for Ireland once they'll never forgive you. I think it's hilarious that they keep getting triggered whenever Grealish posts a photo of him training with the U21s and pretty soon the seniors (yeah I think he'll get a call-up one day). They don't care if he supported England before playing for Ireland.

I actually think he wanted out of the Ireland setup for quite awhile and wanted to announce his intentions at the best possible time. He might even have some negatives from his Ireland experience as well.