General boots question/review thread [6] - all questions/reviews pictures on any boot brand here pls

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Loftshc

Loftshc Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone know much about WizWedge? They're a new French brand and their boots are supposedly designed for injury prevention, with more arch support (I think?). Was wondering if anyone had tried them. They look pretty nice, simple and leather, it'd be interesting to see what the quality is like and if the arch-thingy design works in terms of injury prevention and fit.

I know that Benoit Cheyrou and Romain Alessandrini have been wearing them in the MLS. Like the look of them, they may be a brand to keep an eye on.

Attached Files:

2. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Their stuff seems to pop up every now and then. The newer ones look nicer than the original models they had but I think they've been around for a few years now without really taking off (from what I can tell)

What does everybody about the new Matchmakers brand? It seems too similar to the mercurial for me but I am hoping they make a more classic style boot like the 60s-70s models ala George Best.[​IMG]

3. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    anyone knows where i can get that lace cover thing from Germany. think they were featured by freekickerz once, basically this rubber thing you put on your boot that sort of reinforces mid foot + acts as lace cover!

4. vaporshockorange

Mar 7, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I dont know what freekickerz posted, but I think you mean "sweetspots", soccerscene oxford street used to stock them back in the day as well as eurosport "soccer.com" you could find them now on ebay, just search sweetspot, there are 2 types, one being just rubber, more flexible, and then there is the one with predator-like elements, this was more stiff and tight.

5. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
  6. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    found it!

its the Xoopoo Shoe band that i was looking at. Before anyone jumps, I'm thinking of getting it cause some of my boots, leather ones especially, don't fit as well on the sides, and I don't feel as much lockdown (on the sides) as I would like, wanted to try em out to see if this could help that experience.

Jaxinho repped this.
  7. FattyPillow

FattyPillow New Member

Inter Milan
    Hong Kong
    Apr 10, 2017
    I am interested in this product, too.

I play AG with the Mercurial Veloce II. I am naturally an US 9E and have the Veloce in US 10 to fit my wide width. My heel area is wide open with gaps between my foot and the shoe. When I play I out in AG, insane amount of the rubbers got into my boots and further sticked onto my sock's thick fabric. It is a mess to clean the rubber pellets off my socks after a game before I put the socks into the washing machine. This product might close the gaps, though I have to say they are pricey.

8. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    Sounds like they don't fit you!???
    Aren't they too long as well if you've gone up a whole size?

9. FattyPillow

FattyPillow New Member

Inter Milan
    Hong Kong
    Apr 10, 2017
    They are some what fine for me. Yes, there is a room gap at the toe area but a thick pair of socks can hold the area down, plus as a kid with well fit boots, my toe nails tends to fall off. It hurt very badly and would sideline me for a long time. So I don't mind more toe room for cushioning. I have not yet able to try a pair of Mercurial in US 9.5 just to see, since the store I brought them only have them in US 10 and 10.5.

Interesting note from the Xoopoo review video says the product is not good for wide foot and tight fitting boots. So now I might have to abandon the idea.

10. shrtysskat8

shrtysskat8 Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Get some insoles, like Superfeet, to take up the extra room and provide so much more comfort. :)

FattyPillow repped this.
  11. PZboots

PZboots New Member

Newcastle United
    Serbia
    Mar 30, 2017
    While we are on topic of Superfeet.

I just played my second game in Superfeet Carbon and what a difference.

My right knee doesn't hurt, my dodgy left ankle is not hurting after the game and my adductors are not sore.

They also feet great into boots, with no heel slippage as they are thin.

Another thing that probably helped was playing in nike t90 laser, as i find blades easier on my legs.

12. FattyPillow

FattyPillow New Member

Inter Milan
    Hong Kong
    Apr 10, 2017
    How did you pick the size of your Superfeet? Actually trying a pair of them into your boots or just go by your boots size and order a pair of the exact same size number?

13. PZboots

PZboots New Member

Newcastle United
    Serbia
    Mar 30, 2017
    It's simple, just went off my boot's US size and then cut them to size as the ones that fit me are 11.5 to 13 US.

FattyPillow repped this.
  14. AkkaKenji8

AkkaKenji8 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    How good were the v1.06s? found a good deal on em, and heard a lot of people raving about them. any good?? is the touch padded or barefoot?

15. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I loved these boots so much! The main problem with them is durability. I said it on here at the time & I'll say it now these boots are for summer. Any sort of wet conditions (including sweat) strips the colour out of the boot especially in the seams & big toe area. I think if you were to wear them in the winter months they wiggle be trashed. The fit is very barefoot there no padding at all in these boots as you will find out the first time you get studded. You feel everything. But on the plus side it really does feel like you've got nothing on your feet. Puma really were ahead of the game with this boot in my opinion.

I never had any durability issues but I know a lot of people on the board did (yes I've been on here for that long!) sole separation, fabric separating from the sole plate, holes especially in the seams & the carbon fibre sole splitting especially where you bend your foot. Remember this is the first time carbon fibre had been used on a sole so it was a bit hit and miss at the time. But Puma refunded or sent out new pairs if these things happened you won't have that luxary.

My advice would be if you can get them cheap enough and just want to have a go with them go for it they are amazing. If they are pretty expensive toy might want to give them a miss as you don't have the safety net of Puma being able to help you out.

But for me personally I was gutted when the 08s came out they killed the range for me.

Any specific questions just ask and sorry for any spelling mistakes in typing this one my phone!

appleCORR

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My v1.06s separated from the sole so bad that all of my toes were literally sticking out. And this was in probably 3 months or so of use. Worst durability I've ever seen in a football cleat from a major brand.

17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think I was really lucky with mine - but I did have quite a few pairs so they were on rotation. The worst I got were a few pulls and a cracked soleplate. I found that happened with all my boots on the sole though. I had the leather version and those were really nice boots. I remember being a bit gutted when they brought out the V1.08s because they weren't a development of the V1.06s. They were a completely new boot. They just had nods to the 06's with odd bits of material.

appleCORR

18. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Has anyone tried any other insole brand beside Superfeet? I heard the currexSole (Germany-based) is one of the best ones. I am currently waiting for the Storelli Speedgrip insoles but I am just intrigued at how diverse the choices are for sports insoles, especially here in the US!

19. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    the currex ones are the ones that SR4U recently promoted eh? I'm currently using the New Balance ones that are sold in Japan + the Asics SPEVA ones, non of which have been out of the ordinary for me atm.

20. Federer99

Federer99 New Member

Chelsea
    Poland
    Jun 14, 2017
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of Under Armour Clutch-fit 2.0's. Total would be about $75us. Good deal? Or is there a similar shoe at a similar price that is better, thanks.

Jaxinho repped this.
  21. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah coincidentally I've been seeing the currexSole ones in specialty running and hiking shops. I have the Storelli Speedgrips on the way because I backed their Kickstarter campaign 2 months ago. I'll give some feedback in like a week.

22. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Seems like a steal to me. Another deal that would probably equal this is the New Balance Visaro (1st gen) that you can get for around the same price. But i'd say go for this one but I would suggest if you really want to look around is to look at your local Nike outlet store. They sell top-tier boots for around the same price at times. You just have to be lucky.

23. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Today I received my pair of Storelli SpeedGrip performance insoles. I have yet to try them out on the field but these are my observations:

- the material is similar to felt. Storelli advertises this to be non-slip, similar to the concept on the Mizuno Basara 101 insoles
    - the material on the under-side is foam that is slightly sticky
    - it has adhesives underneath the toebox area and on the heel part (where the white triangles are)
    - it is similar in thickness to a Nike Magista Obra II/Opus II insole, a Nike Tiempo Legend VI insole, a Mizuno Basara 101 insole, but it is thinner than the adidas X 16.1 and X 16+ comfort insoles. Definitely thicker than Nike Mercurial insoles.

IMG_4277.jpg IMG_4276.jpg IMG_4275.jpg

24. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    ah, I don't get that in singapore so its a little harder to try em out.

How are the speedgrips in terms of comfort? I've never needed non slip insoles so I wasn't super interested in backing them, but if they had a slightly more comfortable heel I'd be more interested.

25. Federer99

Federer99 New Member

Chelsea
    Poland
    Jun 14, 2017
    Thanks, I'm going to pull the trigger. I would go to a Nike outlet but there isn't one close to me.

Jaxinho repped this.