General boots question/review thread [6] - all questions/reviews pictures on any boot brand here pls

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I play on AG with my Hyper 1s and they feel fine. No stud bite and no pressure

2. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    They do well on good quality AG, but sometimes in a bad turn they may hold your leg to hard, so considering a knee injury I would stick to something AG specific. The Nike AG soleplate is wonderfull.

3. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    I haven't used the HV personally but one of my buddies did and he liked it, up until he got the Ace 16.1s. I wouldn't recommend anything with the collar on it if you had a knee injury and I think turfs might be your best bet.

Interestingly enough today I went Ohmiya Sports (near where I am living) and they had a sign posted saying they will refuse any Nike defects if the boots had been worn on turf and that Nike boots were completely unsuitable for turf use.

Coeur repped this.
  4. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why wouldn't you recommend playing with a collared boot if they've had a knee injury?

5. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Because for some people if the ankle has something wrapped around it that is attached to the shoe and they twist their ankle, it will be ok but your muscles begin to pull on the next joint, which is the knee. The first time I tested out the original Obras my knees were sore for the next couple of days afterwards and I the only knee issue I ever had was MCL strain.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar only liked to play in low cut basketball shoes because he'd rather have his ankle than his knee blow out.

Also, after the introduction of collared boots, there was a rise in knee injuries among players who wore them on turf where I used to live. Specifically during high school season.

Sometimes not even on turf. I remember when Derby County sign George Thorne from West Brom a few years ago. It was super exciting and all of us supporters were getting geared up to have him for a full season. In a pre-season friendly he fell awkwardly off of the ball and tore his ACL. He was wearing Obras too. Were the boots to blame? Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that after that happened he didn't ever wear the Obra again and several other players at the club stopped wearing the collared nike boots.

So will everybody have this issue? No of course not and people might wear collared boots on turf with no issues whatsoever. I just say as a precaution to stay away from them.

6. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh God [emoji23] I'm cleared to play in two weeks after my knee injury and I was going to wear my magista 1. Hmm, the Adizero might be coming out

derbyyank13 repped this.
  7. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    not Adizeros with blades I hope!

derbyyank13 repped this.
  8. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always worn FGs on turf whether they are blades or studs. I've worn whatever Nike have thrown at me basically & ive worn a lot of different models. I might just be very lucky but I've never had any problems from playing on turf and to be honest some of the turf I was playing on wasn't the best. The centre where I play have just done their pitches and they are great. I think at the end of the day you just have to wear what you are comfortable in take it slowly and maybe grab a cheap pair of flat astros while you test your knee out?

appleCORR

Jaxinho, jayc23 and derbyyank13 repped this.
  9. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    That is a standard where I live. If you use FG, SG or IN on turf, then you can forget about warranty. They can tell, because the rubber crumbles leave specific markings.

But statement that Nike boots in general are not suitable for turf is a horse***t. I own a pair of Vapors X with AG soleplate that I heavilly exploit on turf for two seasons, and they show completely no sign of damage, not a slightest sole separation or anything. Of course if something happened to them Nike would replace them, because they are AG.

10. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    Surely they don't mean all Nike boots were unsuitable for turf? I would have thought they just meant those without an AG soleplate.

11. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what I would have thought

12. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    I never had a policy like that at the company I used to work for. It was understood that people would use cleats on turf and many people in that area did. We still honored the different companies limited warranty they gave us. I tried bringing in and selling AG boots several times and there just wasn't much action on them. People would just buy FG boots for high school season.

For Ohmiya Sports to make a sign like that they must have had some issues.

I don't deny that people don't have issues with Nike boots on turf at all, it was just interesting that they had a sign like that. Also most of the Nike boots sold in Japan are HG and those are made to be more durable anyways.

jayc23 repped this.
  13. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    What I think it may be, is forcing people to buy more than one pair of shoes.

AdidasPredatorMANIAC repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Before my knee injury I always wore FG Vapors on turf without any issues. When I hurt my knee, I was actually playing indoor on an AG field wearing TF shoes. So, it was likely a case that because of the way my knee was hit it was always going to cause an injury regardless of the stud type.

However, after all this rehab I really want to limit the odds of another knee injury. So I'm going to attempt FG Hypervenoms since conical studs should provide a lesser risk of knee injury. If they feel like they're sticking too much, I can always start wearing my TF shoes. But I think the days of me wearing blades studs on AG fields are over, just to be on the safe side.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  15. Corkin23

Corkin23 Member

Feb 7, 2016
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    I play every week on AG wearing FG Boots, Currently wearing predators, Played in Magista Obras too, Haven't had any issues thus far.

Jaxinho repped this.
  16. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I actually found that the AG sole even though it was more comfortable stuck more in the turf than the FG boots. I'm currently wearing the Pure Controls and haven't had any issue with the conical studs. But i completely get you guys wanting to be careful after such bad knee injuries.

appleCORR

derbyyank13 and jayc23 repped this.
  17. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I used a pair of AG Hyper 1's and while they felt great with just enough stud bite for push off, the upper got totally eaten by the turf. I've never had a pair of AG boots die on my as quickly as the Hypervenom 1's did.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. I've had some on and off knee pains (top of the knee) over the past few years after wearing on the obras but never really linked it as a possible problem. Probably will go easier on the collared boot collection aha!

derbyyank13 repped this.
  18. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    No problem. Like I said it isn't for everybody but you never know!

19. howplayrisk

howplayrisk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I think it's important to consider the player as well as the boots. Two players wearing the same boots can have totally different experiences in terms of traction. A big, powerful, explosive player might feel like most FG boots are too clingy on AG. However, for another player that puts less force into the ground, FG boots could feel like the perfect level of traction.

newone88, derbyyank13 and gusgorman repped this.
  20. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Absolutely! It involves the movement of players and the way they run too.

21. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm wearing LZ 1 AG on firm ground... so comfy!

gusgorman repped this.
  22. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    I did that with my LZ1 AG at the start of the season one year and loved it! The first few games of the season in the UK are often on baked hard ground and they were perfect. As soon as a little bit of rain fell they didn't really work for me though.

serginhobertholi and jayc23 repped this.
  23. essiman

essiman New Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new here and been searching for a while for a thread that can help me out to pick a great pair of boots for indoor soccer. If anyone can lead me into the right direction I'd be very happy :)

The reason I want to look for indoor boots rather than outdoor is because my company is mainly playing indoor soccer against other companies. We have a indoor pitch that we rent out two times per week. Since I haven't played any soccer in numerous years I thought it would be fun to join and get back into it through the company.

Also the way I remember is that indoor is a lot less exhausting since the pitch is rather small compared to outdoors. Anyway I don't really have a budget for the shoes so I'd like to have some nice ones.

As long as they're comfortable and do the job I'm happy. However I do want something that's quality rich and would last me a while!

Thanks in advance!

Essi

24. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
  25. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

For something a little cheaper, definitely try out the Joma Top Flexs.