News: General 2011-2012 Ligue 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'France' started by StarrMatthieu, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I understand rooting for the underdog but I love watching French teams play in Europe and the underdogs cant do squat in Europe. Im just wondering if an underdog in Spain, England, Italy, and Germany is in title contention, do the fans/media root for that team to win. Its hard to say because "underdogs" in those leagues are hardly ever in contention for titles. I guess Dortmund are an underdog in Germany because Bayren are the favorites every year but they are hardly a smaller club so I don't know.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    To me, "Paris fans" and "PSG fans" are seperate and not the same thing. The Lille metropolition area might be a bigger football era than Paris but to me thats different from saying Lille OSC have better fans than PSG. PSG is one of the top 2 most popular and supported clubs in the country and Lille OSC is not. Lille's not even more popular than RC Lens.

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you like watching big french teams play in CL
    thats fine, though you have to admit every once in a while(especially in this league) some non big french club is going to be in CL
    french teams are underdogs in both CL/EL, lyon is the only one who sets itself apart
    as for underdogs in other leagues, bro c'mon:
    Napoli(si not considered a big club in italy, looking at their last couple of years its quite evident they are not)
    the rest of italy does not care about EL

Bilbao/Athl. Madrid(Bilbao, underdog in EL and its league no one expected them to go this far, athletico is not a top club in spain, its now a 4-6th place)
    Villareal-former top spanish club(3-4) now look at them

Germany-Germany has all kinds of clubs going up and down, having a good league run- participating in CL in one year and near league descent the next, bremen, struttgart, hoffenheim, hamburg, wolfsburg etc. etc.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Of course its fine I mean I had no interest last year in watching Auxerre play AC Milan and Real Madrid. No clubs as small as Auxerre ever get into the CL from Italy and Spain. Napoli's a much bigger club than Montpellier I would say.

5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't count on that, Udinese an extremely small populated city, and though a contender for the title this season has one of the smallest stadiums in italy for top division clubs(41K) and they almost got into CL this season and they might next season
    Parma FC great example of a really small club that got into CL less than a decade ago,
    as for Napoli:
    2004 bankrupt
    2005 Serie C1(3rd division)
    2006 Serie B
    2007 Serie A
    2011 CL
    sure they weren't a small club stadium and fan wise but they sure as hell weren't a mid or top club for a large portion of the 90s and 2000s
    as for spain, remember Real Sociedad? Betis? look them up
    what Im trying to say is its bound to happen, its all a cycle, sure MHSC is doing good right now but lets see it perform under several competitions and see how they finish off
    hopefully they can become something close to bordeaux, which would be great for that little club from the south

6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Valbuena,Franck Tabanou,Moussa Sissoko are linked to these clubs

l'AS Roma, Naples, Juventus, Fiorentina l'Inter Milan, Bayer Leverkusen

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    greece? qatar? china? MLS? his possibilities are almost endless.

9. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    his best bet is to sign for LILLE or maybe new york redbullls:rolleyes:

10. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Do you think that Marseille will lose against Montpellier?:D
    I saw on TV that PSG lost against Bordeaux in 1999 I think, so that Marseille could lose their potential title.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, both azpi and rémy are being left out due to minor injuries and they're two of the best marseillais at the moment (all things being relative of course), and for what it's worth (not a great deal) maxifoot gives this lineup without valbuena.

Mandanda
    Fanni - Mbia - Nkoulou - Morel
    Kaboré - Diarra - Cheyrou
    J. Ayew - Gignac - Brandao

that doesn't look like OM's best side but neither amalifitano nor andré ayew have been dazzling. so this may be the best DD can do. the vélo isn't going to be pushing them on but they haven't been very good at that for weeks, and all of ganay is under renovation this season so that's not decisive either. all in all, neither club nor players are intentionally going to go easy on MHSC just to spite PSG, but they won't have to. montpellier can win all on their own so there should be no polemic about it.

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Mandana and the Mbia - Nkoulou pairing is pretty good but the rest is pretty dreadful. Kabore is worthless and Diarra is past his peak. Cheyrou is just spare parts at this point. Im anxious to see how many decent scoring chances Gignac's gets. I'm picturing him falling on his ass as he attempts to strike the ball. Its definately the smart idea to save your best players for the league cup final.

13. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Interesting conspiracy, I remember one match between PSG and Marseille. There was a problem with TV rights, so Marseille has sent youth team and they played 0-0.:rolleyes:

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it was in 2006 and the problem was about the safety of OM supporters: i think at first PSG refused to give marseille their allotment of visitor seats citing a decision from the prefect, then changed their mind... whatever the case was, pape diouf sent a mix of reserves and subs who did indeed play to 0-0.

in 2009 it was for OM-PSG that they had difficulty finding a date; the original fixture was postponed because PSG had been hit (or claimed to have been) by a flu epidemic. since OM was in the CL that year alternative dates were hard to find, and when OM's choice was refused they threatened to send the CFA2 kids again but a date acceptable to both was eventually found.

there have been other monkeyshines between these two: once at the vélo the PSG changing room was invaded by severe ammonia fumes; the actual gravity of the affair and whether it was intentional are subject to debate but it adds to the folklore!

15. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Marseille lost at home. What a surprise.:rolleyes::D Schedule will say a lot, who has easier opponents, but I think that PSG will win this Ligue.:)

I remember this PSG - Marseille match, after 90 minutes, players of Marseille went in mutual hugs. PSG seemed like they lost this match.

I like watching French league, these strong teams. Rennes lost against the club from third division in French Cup. Why is so many ties in French league, some people say, that there is not so much pressure on players, so they have changes in their shape, approach. It seems that everyone can win against everyone, maybe these three last clubs are oriented to collect some points, but others are pretty much equal.

16. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nicolas Nkoulou might be ligue 1 best centerbacks along with Mamadou Sakho,Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa,

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Sakho has had a subpar year and Ancelloti put him on the bench. It would be a shame if Nkoulou was sold after just 1 year. He should remember what happened to Taiwo could happen to him.

18. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Respect to the supporters of Saint-Etienne and the attitude of the players at the end of the game. :) Hello Evra, bisous.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Looks like PSG could slip to 3rd now. I think MHSC's 5 pt. lead is enough to win the title. This is why France dropping below Portugal is bad because whoever finishes 3rd in the future is going to have to play 2 qualifying rounds in Europe and who the hecks wants to do that. So I kinda hope PSG gets 3rd now because they will play a tough team in the qualifying round and they will have to earn it.

20. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Yes, A 3rd place finish would be good for PSG. It will put alot pressure on Leonardo to make better personnel decisions this Summer.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    he could start by giving sarkozy a job on the staff.

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah if he's still there. The rumors all have him gone already.

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, my original answer was that leo's first personnel move this summer should be to hang himself, but that wasn't a nice thing to say, was it?

SportBoy333 repped this.
  24. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    It's supposed to be funny to joke about that ? Pathetic.