General 2008/09 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Growing brands is a smart idea but damn it, why didnt they think of this years ago ??? PSG for example should be a huge global brand. French teams are too far behind the curve in global branding and infustructure to catch up. Clubs dont even own their own stadiums and thats a big amount of lost revenue right there not to mention most of those stadiums are outdated anyway. In Germany they seem to build huge stadiums so easily over there. There's just so much work to be done.

2. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

i agree with what your saying i really hope france gets the euro in 2016,i would love to see the likes of
    Bordeaux and Marseille and Nice ,Lyon Lille even a new stadium in paris or an upgrade at the Parc des princes so like i said i hope this can happen :eek:

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm very worried about Gourcuff and Benzema now that ManUtd has all this money to spend. I was hoping they'd stay 1 more year at their clubs but I wouldnt be surprised if they both leave this summer now. I know Gourcuff just signed a contract but contracts meaning nothing in football.

4. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi my background is African decent and I'm French but never really looked at Ligue 1 till now, but I was wondering if it is a great league to follow? And is the football being played enjoyable? If so what teams are good I like PSG Marselie and Bordeaux.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's not spectacular in amount of goals scored, but it has a certain parity that the big three leagues can't boast of, and there are a lot of young quality players to follow. plus it's off the beaten track.

i'm biased, but i enjoy it and even though i have access to english, spanish and italian matches every week i ever only watch L1, CL matches with french clubs and UEFA cup.

6. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I really like the Ligue 1 now but I don't know which team to choose I really like PSG Marsellie and Bordeaux due to players I know but I can't watch them since there are no games playing. Should I just wait?

7. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You said you have a french background, what do you pick a club near where your family comes from?

8. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well my parents are from Paris but my other relatives Bordeaux and Marsellie, Imma just ask some questions

Which club's group of fans are best?
    Which club has beatuful football style/Enjoyable Football?
    Which club pleases fans?
    Which club has history?
    Which players are somewhat loyal? (Nowadays no players are though lol)

9. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Out of those three cities sounds like you want to be an OM fan.

10. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I thought that too but Bordeaux is still knocking at my door! Well at least I eliminated PSG.

11. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Never mind I still like PSG! Damn it if only my family all came from one place! Oh well Ill just wait till the season starts but for now im fans of all three!

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if your parents are from paris that seems logical, but don't forget that le coeur de l'afrique bat pour OM... marseille is probably the best loved club in africa all leagues considered together.

13. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've decideed and it is PSG my main family is from there. and the city is beautiful although I heard they are a club that fights with each other and is in shambles, and the players are inconsistant and there is no stability.

Thnaks Mom, Dad! jk lol

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Thats very true but hopefully things will change some day.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OM and PSG are both dysfunctional from boardroom to changing room to supporters' clubs... that seems to be half the fun!

hard to say which of the two is zanier but it's certain no other club in france comes close.

16. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Isn't Bordeaux the most peaceful and quietest?

17. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sad to say and hate to say it bordeaux will have problems like psg om they are the champions and when france bids for the euros 2016 and bordeax get a new stadium trams etcc...... they will be more clicks mark my words so will lille and nice......

18. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hmm, I think it's time to start the 2009/2010 edition of this thread.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The Trophy of Champions is in Montreal tonight. I dont think its a good idea because people in "non soccer" countries dont care about soccer unless the ManU, Chelsea, Real Madrids, Milans of the world are involved. They say they sold 30,000 tickets but I read a lot of them were given away for free by a local beer company. I read there's no signs or banners in the streets promoting the event. You can try to promote your game abroad but if you dont have "stars" to promote then no one cares. Gourcuff's a star but thats 1 player on the 2 teams combined and he's hardly an established household name. When you dont have a world wide brand name like "Real Madrid" for example then stars is all you can try to promote.

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yes please do.