General 2008/09 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Why was this thread not started 3 weeks ago I dont know but I'm starting it now.:)

2. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Now that Ménez is gone to Rome, who would be the best offensive player who is not Benzema or Ben Arfa, in terms of skills?

3. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be too homerish to say Valbuena? He hasn't played yet this year, yet, so I guess it's hard to say.

I haven't seen enough of Bordeaux so far to comment on Gourcuff. Maybe Gomis.

4. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, it will be nice to see Valbuena again, and by the way, the question is wide open. I mean, I was thinking whether I should actually limit the candidates only to those who have a permanent spot in the starting XI. If not, Pjanic and Obertan are interesting. Veterans like Giuly are worth a thought, too.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I was impressed that Lille was able to get Tulio De Melo. I think this will be the last big signing before the window closes. I dont consider Recoba signing with Monaco to be that impactfull.

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    the answer is simple: Niang

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Kevin Mirallas of Lille has moved to St. Etienne and signs a 4 year contract. 3m Euro transfer.

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Sylvain Wiltord has resumed training with Rennes so I guess he stays there.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I know its early but I can't believe Toulouse are in 2nd place. They let their best player go before the season and they didnt sign anyone who was high profile. I guess this is typical how certain cheap, low budget teams continue to do well. Its good for unpredictibity but it shows how weak Ligue 1 is that these type of teams can do so well. I still expect OL, OM and Bordeaux to the top 3 teams at the end.

10. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I did not expect Toulouse to battle relegation this season, but I definitely did not think they would be this high by now. Although a lot of it, according to the papers anyway as I haven't watched them, has to do with getting guys like Didot and Gignac to bounce back to the level they are capable of.

I agree with SportBoy's Top 3 order at the end.

11. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lyon have been slowing down recently and are only two points ahead of Marseille, who will play PSG at home tomorrow. Bordeaux also came close but could only draw to a last second penalty awarded to Nice.

Things are looking interesting up top, and it should continue throughout the season.

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Still think OL, OM and Bordeaux will finish as the top 3. Still not sure of the order though. They are the best 3 teams. If this does happen it would be the same teams in the top 3 for 2 straight years and thats unheard of in France compared to other places.

13. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Some of you might find this interesting. There is now a Ligue 1 Prospects Blog over at the Offside, where the writer, Evilo, has posted a top 50 ranking of the best prospects in France (post 86 generation with at least one league appearance).

14. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Personally, I like Dabo from Saint-Etienne even though he's injured right now. However, article is outdated.

15. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's updated every six months, I believe.

Arsenal are interested in Dabo now. :rolleyes:

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I dont know who I hate more. Arsenal, their "fans", or their manager.

17. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I intensely dislike Wenger. I'm afraid that colors the feelings I might otherwise have for Arsenal as a club.

18. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    All you need to know is that Nasri was more than happy to leave his hometown club and the most popular club in France at 20 years old to go abroad. That just isn't right and yeah I'm blaming Wenger for that. Didnt he start 6 Frenchmen vs ManU ? He doesnt seem to care he's hurting the club game is his own country. I dont know how an English fan of Arsenal could put up with all those non English players on their team but I guess times have changed and no one cares anymore about that. Certainly all the American Arsenal fans on this site wouldnt give a shit if they started 12 Frenchmen. "Sigh." :(

19. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I certainly wouldn't....

20. Gotham PSG

Gotham PSG New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    why do people care so much about Wenger?
    Yes, I too would be pissed off if he came to my club and took out all of our young talent, but you have to remember that he is just doing his job.

If you had to blame somebody, blame the rules of the game, not the player.
    Wenger would be more than happy to do the same work in France had he been given the opportunity and structures. Meaning, the money, the support, and all those extra things that make him safe in Arsenal building a great club, instead of being stuck in France with limits on what he can do.

I don't like some aspects of how he runs Arsenal, but I'll have to say, he's doing it well.
    Just, people shouldn't praise him that much. He is good at recruiting young talent, but people shouldn't say that he formed the players. Instead, he picks them right after the foreign club has done the bulk of the work, he gets them for peanuts, and then simply polishes the young product by giving them an amazing environment to work in.
    Otherwise, just like with Guy Roux and Auxerre, not all of his players go on to be successful once they've left the nest.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The president of Nantes said he will let Ivan Klasnic leave in Janurary if he wants to. He's been one of the biggest busts in the league so far of players signed over the summer.

22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Did anyone catch any of the Valenciennes Sochaux match?? Hillarious. The first goals scored by either team were hapless mistakes. Sochaux's keeper lets one dribble right through his legs, and pathetically poor clearance attempt let to Valenciennes. Apparently Sochaux hasn't had a single clean sheet this entire season. And what a horrible dive to Lacourt his second yellow. I could not believe it. No wonder these teams are battling relegation. Valenciennes had it in the bag, but could not close it out.

23. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    29/11/2008 12:49
    Ivan Klasnić Wants To Battle It Out In Nantes

A difficult start to the season has left many questioning the abilities of Croatian striker Ivan Klasnić, but he is adamant that he wishes to stay in France with les Jeunes…

Hailed as one of the major signings in Ligue 1 over the summer months, Ivan Klasnić must surely be considered one of the greatest flops just four months later. The Croatian, who was so prolific in Germany with Werder Bremen, has made a sad start to life in the north-west of France, failing to score in any of Nantes’ opening 15 league matches.

Club president Waldemar Kita appeared in the press last week stating that he would not be unhappy to sell the struggling Croat on. However, Klasnić has responded by saying he would like to continue in France, as the long process of adjustment is really only just getting under way.

"I can understand that the leaders of the club are unhappy with my performance, but none of them have come to me and said that they wish me to leave," the striker explained to Croatian daily newspaper, Novi List.

"We feel good here,” Klasnić then explained, making reference to his wife and family, who have just moved to the region. "I am beginning to learn French and I am keen to succeed in Nantes."

Despite his lack of goalscoring production, Klasnić has remained a regular in les Canaris’ starting eleven and is likely to start when they face Le Havre this evening in a crucial relegation battle.

Robin Bairner, Goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1722/fr...ivan-klasnic-wants-to-battle-it-out-in-nantes

24. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lillian Thuram's cousin Yoann had his first professional match for Monaco last weekend :)

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The EPL usually takes the best "stars" or best "prospects" from Ligue 1 but now I noticed they are taking League 1 "rejects" as well. Guys who are part timers for their teams or guys who arent producing. Marc-Antoine Fortuné from Nancy to West Brom. Gael Givet from OM to Blackburn. Elliot Grandin also of OM expected to be sent to Aston Villa. I dont know what this all means but I guess the EPL will be mostly non English sooner than later if they insist on taking anyone now instead of just the best.