General 2007/2008 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Douai, Aug 3, 2007.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Oh and according to L'Equipe, Silvestre and Gourcuff are 2 other players Blanc is looking at.

2. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Micoud remains a capable Ligue 1 player, but considering how strong Obertan, Ducasse, etc. have looked in the past couple of weeks, I think Blanc would like to give them more minutes. There's also Henri Saivet rising through the ranks, and if they sign Ménez/Gourcuff then obviously there isn't room much for Micoud, even if he's willing to take on a lesser role.

Saivet
    Ménez - Gourcuff - Obertan
    Ducasse - Diarra
    Wendel - Silvestre - Planus - Saunier

I'm not a supporter of Bordeaux, but if they actually have a lineup like that in a couple of years, they will have a Ligue 1 title, if not more than one.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    If Bordeaux get Menez then that opens the door for Monaco to get Gourcuff.

4. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'd rather be Bordeaux in that case.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yes I'd rather have Menez but you cant have both and if he does want to leave then Gourcuff is a good option especially if its a loan with Milan paying his salary allowing us to use that money instead on someone else.

6. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, if Ménez leaves, Gourcuff wouldn't be a bad option. It's too bad the team had a disappointing, injury-plagued year so they're nowhere close to Europe, as Ménez and Gourcuff together would be good, I think.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Seb, did you see the Eidur Gudjohnsen to France story ?

Apperantly he was contacted by and received an offer from an un named French team.

I think its a pipe dream for any French team because Monaco might be the only one who could afford his salary but I doubt he'd go there without Champions League football. If it was OM who made the offer they'd have a hard time getting him to come especially without the Champions League. I bet it was OL because he was linked with them a few years ago. The only other possible team is PSG.

8. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actually no, Sportboy, I didn't, but then again, you're way more informed than I am these days about transfers, as I've been following the U-17 team instead.

Out of those, I would think PSG would make sense, but it could be anybody. After all, he would be useful to any team in the league, even the best ones.

9. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris

To be quite honest, I may have simply missed his glory days in the elite netherland that is non Bayern German football, but I never quite understood what all the hype was over this guy.

It might have something to do with the Ligue lacking genuine "techniciens", but I never saw him as more than a "good" player - and granted, that was when he actually chose to show up to play.

Am I wrong or is he a genuinely sensational player that was a victim of the Zidanation* of French football in the last 10 years?

* the process by which the rise of a true genius in a given field overshadows the existence of genuinely great practitioners among his pairs

10. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Really good post, midknight. I'll always think of Micoud in the same class of player as Wiltord, a guy who, even in a different era, would not be a star on the national team, for example, but would be thought of fondly by those who watched their games as supporters of their teams. In Johan's case, I know the Werder supporters love him.

11. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    L1 Best 11 :

L'équipe :

--------------------Niang (OM)-----------Benzema (OL)-----------
    Rothen (PSG)-------------------------------------Lichtsteiner (LOSC)
    ---------------Abriel (Lorient)----------Toulalan (Lyon)---------
    Morel (Lorient)--Diawara (Bordeaux)--Puygrenier (Nancy)--Chrétien (Nancy)
    ------------------------Mandanda (OM)-----------------------

Substitutes : Lloris, Balmont, Kone (Nice), Mater, Ouaddou (Valenciennes), Sall(ASSE), Sessegnon, Romaric (MUC72), Bonnart (OM), Wendel (Bordeaux), Erding (Sochaux).

France Football :

-------------------------Benzema (Lyon)------------------------
    Niang (OM)---------------Feindouno (ASSE)-------Valbuena (OM)
    ---------------Abriel (Lorient)----------Toulalan (Lyon)---------
    Dabo (ASSE)--Sorbon (Caen)--Puygrenier (Nancy)--Mater (Valenciennes)
    ------------------------Lloris (Nice)-----------------------

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  14. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club: