Gelson Martins

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by SCP_16, Sep 2, 2016.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is a man possessed right now.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Brilliant, he has so much quality! JJ has some tough decisions to make now with this squad.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This guy needs minutes. Period. He's the reason we beat Porto.

---Z--- repped this.
  4. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He played great today, especially after switching to the right side. Could've had like 4-5 assists but the finishing was poor.

5. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He started all three games, scored once and made two assists that led to goals, plus he "scored" half of Slimani's goal last game. He isn't going nowhere. JJ is always praising him, he's his biggest fan.

6. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was pretty sick.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently he just got an increase in his salary. This is great news. William also got a salary increase as well. Love what BDC is doing with this club. We just had two massive sales that have given us some leeway in terms of financial decisions. Crazy to see how well things have gotten for the club.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Do the salary increases also come with contract extensions? Normally those are announced officially by the club.

But those two players definitely deserve a raise.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And he scores again. Amazing.

10. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Fernado Santos has selected Gelson Martins for the national team's games next week against Andorra and Faroe Islands!

SCP21 repped this.
  11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Well deserved. Should've called Ruben Semedo as well.

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, it's been a good few months. He gone!

Top Story: Man United battle Real Madrid for Sporting starlet
    Manchester United are monitoring Sporting Lisbon's outstanding young wingerGelson Martins, though Real Madrid are also lurking for the 21-year-old, according to Portuguese outlet Record.

[​IMG]
    Sporting's Gelson Martins is reportedly attracting interest from Manchester United and Real Madrid.
    Martins grabbed the wider attention of European football when he produced a sparkling display for the Portuguese giants in their 2-1 defeat of Los Merenguesin the Champions League. The Portuguese paper is reporting that Sporting's president, Bruno de Carvalho, wants to extend the player's contract.

"In Portugal there is no one like him," Sporting manager Jorge Jesus said about the speedster.

13. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Saw the other day someone on forumscp saying that Gelson has been having an issue with his mouth, a tooth abscess or something. Record has an exclusive article that looks like it's premium access only, but it sounds like he's had a tooth removed to remedy the problem. No clue about recover time or anything but I wonder if this was cause for his below form play recently. Personally I don't buy into excuses like this in sports but we'll see I guess.

14. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I think that could factor into it but I also think people are looking too much into his form recently. Last season our attack consisted of Gelson and Bas Dost. It’s not surprising that both have received criticism at some point so far this season because of their comparative performances to last year. However i believe it’s more due to the fact that we have so many more attacking outlets this year, we’ve got Doumbia, Podence, Acuna and Bruno Fernandes in particular who have had huge impacts and taken the weight off gelson and dost

15. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I agree Alex, I haven’t been particularly upset with Gelson this season. He does have a tendancy to go one on one a bit sometimes but he’s still a major piece to our offensive successes. And as you say we have many more weapons this season so at times it can seem as though his contribution is less. Personally I think he’s been slightly below form, but our expectations are so high with him that any little bit is magnified. But even a slightly below form Gelson is a quality player.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    My biggest beef with him is his lack of goals. For the chances he has had the total number of goals scored are extremely low.

17. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Sounds like Gelson will be out about 2 weeks and miss the games against Guimaraes and Estoril as well as the 1st leg of the semi-final against Porto, probably questionable against Feirense as well

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sell this ********ing idiot

19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The number of stupid things that happen at this club is not normal. Its like we shoot ourselves in the foot on purpose.

I get that his best friend is in jail but it was just such a dumb move. Then you got a coach who exhausts our main striker in a meaningless game and gets him injured. Then there is the vote and internal turmoil that took place in February when we were in 1st place.

SCP21 repped this.