Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Julian Green has been one of the best players with Fürth since they've recovered from the edge of the abyss. Basically, JG looks like a 2.BuLi player in a team that was already mentally gone to the 3.Liga.

Of course, it doesn't mean Julian is that great, but at least it means he's found his level.

freisland repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Except almost every (every?) soccer workout in the professional world includes weight lifting and most (all?) of those include bench press or dumb bell bench press.

Perhaps you know better than the guys training the pros, but Every. Team. Does. It. At least part of the m. Add to that we are talking young men who are weighing in at 150? lbs or so? Does anyone really want to argue that if Zelalem adds 5-15 lbs of muscle, some on his upper-body he's going to slow down?

As to Jozy - it was just a stupid, gratutitous shot that is also factually wrong. The idea that one should base their stupid, gratuitous insults on some small measure of fact may be old-school, but I'll cling to it, thanks.

superdave repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And that is why I clearly posted I don't know the number, but I would venture "literally" every top professional soccer team has their players bench press. I've been in the weight rooms of a number of them over the years. I've watched players do it.

There is 0 evidence that a 20 year old guy who's playing weight is 150 or so will slow down if he puts on a few pounds of upper body muscle. And just as 100 meter dash bodies are not applicable to soccer, neither are distance runners. The average strikers is going to go 5 - 8 kilometers over 90 minutes. Much more like the training regime of a sprinter than the competitive race of a mararthon or half marathon runner.

Again, I have no idea what the "ideal" bench press weight is, but to suggest that some bench pressing will hurt a player like Zelalem or Green is silly. And I think 90%+ of pro soccer trainers would agree.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think, watching Green, that he has likely increased his lifting a bit this year - or matured into a more solid physique. He looks stronger and bit more solid in the shoulders and chest. I'm not a detailed enough Green watcher, but I'd guess he has grown into his body and is working with weights a bit more and I think that has/will help him in the margins as his game progresses.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the subject is weight training hurts endurance... Just take a look at Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo, hell even Michael Bradley. All three have good upper body strength and all three have legendary stamina levels for a soccer player. Obviously, weight training did not prevent them from having some of the greatest levels of endurance the sport has ever known.

It’s simply a myth that increasing upper body strength, at least in the realm of normal male development, is going to damage a player’s development. It’s similar to the myth that many women believe that weight training will make them look like a roided out freak of a woman...not realizing that those women have to cheat nature to reach those goals. A man being able to bench 1.25-1.5% of his body weight is more normal than it is abnormal for a healthy human male in his prime years.

Granted, upper body strength isn’t the most critical area for a soccer player, but if you gave me the option of the exact same player except one has good upper body strength for a man and the other has the physique of an average woman, it’s no question that the player with some upper body strength would dominate the weaker opponent.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean 1.25 - 1.5 X of his body weight...

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Unless he's talking about me, in which case 1.5% is my goal.

onefineesq and superdave repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More to the point for Gedion....

How would upper body training help him? Well, we all saw he has solid technique and good vision. But we also all saw the he shyed away from toe to toe challenges. He lacked that tenacity and confidence in himself to put his stamp on the game. That’s the difference between a player who becomes another Yaya Toure and a player who is just another lost prospect.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes thank you... I wrote that wrong.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    wait so its more normal for someone who weighs 160 to bench 240 than not?

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or, hopefully, found his bottom. Can he ratchet it up bit by bit? We shall see. I hope so.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone who is a paid professional athlete... that should be within the range of normal.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now I have been doing cardio and body weight excercises.

14. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    The only way weight training hurts your endurance is if you put on so much muscle/weight and completely ignore cardio, which obviously as professional soccer athletes they are not. I completely ignored cardio during college but lifted like crazy. I'd get gassed in my men's league after 20 minutes. In my mid 20s now, still weight train 5 days a week, but now I mix in cardio a few times and can play 50 minutes no problem.

As long as they're staying away from supplements like creatine and sticking with just a high protein diet, they will see strength gains but nothing that will put them over the top.

my 2 cents from someone who trains athletes on the side

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90 minutes of short bursts.

lmorin and freisland repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it doesn't.

Soccer and basketball teams, NFL teams too for RB's/WR's etc design weight programs around building explosiveness. Lean muscle. Higher rep work.

Your YMCA weekend warrior who tries to do 2-3 reps at 85% of his max on the bench is entirely different, as are power lifters in general.

[​IMG]

Messi is clearly in the weight room numerous times per week.

He's built like a number of NBA PGs.

freisland repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm just going to say that both Green and Zelalem clearly have a few issues with strength. However, I think that their teams are pushing the right fitness regime. Also, genetically some guys might have a tougher time than others.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Zelalem has other serious problem to his game beyond strength: he's a slow-thinker who slows down any fast counter with an extra touch.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was young I just couldn't put on weight. I didn't look strong but was much stronger than I looked (I climbed everything). Much later I was finally able to gain weight and while not any stronger I looked much stronger. Just saying this because Green and Zelalem look like they have bodies that won't show muscles until they get a bit older. They may be doing the work but it hasn't shown up yet.

20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I consider the slow of thought and lack of an attacking mentality to be his real problems. Sure, he could use some strength and top level players certainly keep themselves as fit as possible, including strength training. But, in the limited minutes I've seen him play, he generally was able to avoid having to fight psychically with good skill and awareness in tight spaces. Some guys muscle people off the ball and shield it, others shimmy and twist away. He'll always be the later. I had high hopes, but my problem is his mental game. Slow to recognize a chance to attack and slower still to play with urgency. can maintain possession even at a pretty high level of play, but if you're a midfielder that's not going to create chances you need to be better on the defensive side of things, where that strength would be more important. But, since I can't imagine his ever becoming a more defensive minded player, I'm not as concerned about his becoming a physically imposing guy.

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is your fitness? Can you go 90 on Sunday?

Dr.Phil repped this.
  22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya and my speed holds up.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I haven't found a lot of easily accessed on-line guides for pro-teams, but many
    Interesting. I've only really seen a good number of his games with Gers in the Scots D2, but he often tried to play a one-touch, flick, stab or release pass kind of game and usually found that the rest of the team not on the same page.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see him play more, but slow thinking did not seem to me to be a top problem. Holding the ball and expecting better movement did seem to be an issue. It felt sometimes like he was playing one of those red pinny/yellow pinny training games more than a competitive match where the ball had to end up in the goal.

It will be interesting to see what he looks like when (if) he returns to form.

Eleven Bravo, Winoman and uniteo repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t necessarily agree with the assessment either. I’m guessing that it is a label he got with u20s in 2015 and easiest to just run with it. He played very differently with that group he didn’t really know than with Gers, Arsenal u23s and preseason with the first team. There are definitely holes in the kids game, but not the sweeping type described here.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He lost his starting spot with the Rangers for a reason. Unlike Hyndman last year, who improved as time went on, Zelalem showed poorly, slowing down their game through the middle. He got benched, and only came back for the last games when the Gers had already nailed promotion.