Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    934174890810322944 is not a valid tweet id

Watching this, his technical ability is off the charts, really hope he can put it all together when he returns.

Gacm32, wixson7, Rahbiefowlah and 4 others repped this.
  2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yup so much potential unfortunate career events so far

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the injury is very unfortunate. But honestly, this gives him the opportunity to work on what I have always thought was his big problem point, even as the youngster he is ... his strength. If he takes the time during this layoff to work on his core strength, he could put himself in a position to springboard his career. I'm not talking about developing huge biceps like Adebayo Akinfenwa or someone ... but just some lean muscle that allows him to take some contact and still keep moving. What better time to do it than when you can't run anyway? I really hope that he has availed himself of this chance.

Gacm32 and Deeneaus repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That quote is such a horrible bullshit. The most talented my ass. Not even close to anyone.
    Hyndman maybe 5th or 6th most talented and Zelalem light years behind him.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    #2706 wixson7, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    I watch this every few months and it gets more impressive each time I watch.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    My favorite GZ videos are the all touches vs Chelsea’s u21/3s and highlights during 2016 preseason tour. Both gave me hope that he was adapting his game to higher levels. I’d pot here but think of I’ve already over-linked those videos in this thread.

The more other players break through, it lessens the blow that GZ and EH still,haven’t.... and makes me want the two of them to get healthy so that we rudely have depth and players with a range of different talents allowing for flexibility in style and thevaftual need for a real,quality coach to figure out how to fit the pieces together and alter tactics as necessary.

Gacm32, Winoman, wixson7 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. VVV just removed a Real Madrid loan from the selection for disciplinary reasons.
    Whether you're from Arsenal or Real, at VVV life isnot easy.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's gone the Holden route without the three years of good football before the injury.

bballshawn repped this.
  10. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    866663691705569280 is not a valid tweet id

I still like him as a prospect. The ACL tear came at the worst time (ok, there's never a good time for an ACL tear) because he had a chance to really break out at the U20 World Cup. In the first 10 minutes he made the nice play above, showing his skill at retaining the ball, shaking off defenders, and finding an incisive pass. A few minutes later his knee bends the wrong way and he's out for a year.

Williamson and Jones played well in his stead, but his skill set would have been useful against a team like Ecuador that completely dominated possession.

Still think he's better in possession/in tight areas than our other CM prospects, and he's shown vision and creativity in the youth matches and highlights I've seen. With him (as with most prospects) it'll all come down to mentality. Can he become more aggressive in attack and defense? Jonathan Gonzalez is probably about the same size or smaller, but plays the 6 position well because he isn't afraid to bang heads and stick in a foot.

Just because a prospect doesn't have the mentality and instant impact that Pulisic or Gonzalez had as teenagers doesn't mean he's a bust. Arsene Wenger even suggested that Zelalem might be a late bloomer: "He might be a bit longer to mature because he is a little bit behind on the body structure, But I’m sure he will be a great player who matures maybe a bit slowly physically. But overall, I’m convinced that he’ll have a great career."

Hopefully he can get some matches with the Arsenal U-23s in the spring and set himself up for a move this summer. I think he'll come good.

KUSA77, Gacm32, edcrocker and 6 others repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Who in our pool can’t make that pass? Most of them probably don’t need to spin away from his defender first.

EricSunRa repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In my fairly limited (mostly Rangers) viewing, GZ's problem was less stature and more lethal decisiveness. He plays the game a bit like there are points for elegant, slick, creative passing, but not for ugly goal-scoring or efficient assists..

Also, he has (as far as I've seen) no shot. Literally none. He is very technically skilled, understands the game, can be seen to know his pass before he gets the ball (which sometimes had him playing ahead of his teammates who would wait to see where he was passing it and therefore didn't make the run.)

Looking forward, I hope the ACL does not cut down on his mobility, because he was already not mindblowingly quick. I hope he returns and thrives, but if I had to bet at this point I'd fear he's headed more toward being Julian Green than being Christian Pulisic.

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is he officially back with Arsenal now?

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Has been on their books for the past few years, injury didn’t change that, contract ends this summer. He’s back at Arsenal’s training center recovering.

edcrocker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    From what I understand he is getting back into shape and will be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

KUSA77, Gacm32, freisland and 2 others repped this.
  17. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Michael Bradley?

Gacm32 repped this.
  18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does his contract end?

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This summer.

20. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    While he has faults, he's the most 'silky' player on the ball in the entire pool.

Still have hopes for this player.

21. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
  22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I still have hopes for him as well; he's always looked like the kind of player that needs strength and maturity to make an impact. An early career for him was probably always a pipe dream, even without injuries, and to write him off at this stage is premature.

The one thing is, he's gone from a privileged status as an Arsenal academy member to a much lower one as a marginal player, aging out of the academy ranks, and recovering from an injury. How he performs from here will be a testament to his drive, toughness, and the ability to come back from injury.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Two years ago my position on Zelalem was that he is a luxury player that we most likely can't afford or make the best use of. However, with the emergence of Pulisic, McKennie and Gonzalez he might take us to the next level. In particular he could be the yin to McKennie's yang. McKennie is excellent at pressing and defending, he holds the ball well and can combine but he doesn't really pass to the forward or wings much. Zelalem is the guy who can reliably get the ball from the top of the center circle to Pulisic just outside the box.

24. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I have them the other way round. Zelalem has almost no attackers instinct and is a type of ball ciculator who can help you sustain possession but is not that useful in transition play and can't defend with real physicality. He is a totally different type of player than McKennie but is useful to have as an alternative in central midfield that could free McKennie and Adams up to more b2b roles. I don't see them playing together in a 3 or 4 man midfield. Maybe a 5 man midfield with two true b2b, a true destroyer and a true CM. Pulisic is the attacking mid.

------------Forward TBD
    --------------Pulisic
    -------McKennie---------Adams
    --------------Zelalem
    -------------Gonzales
    -LB TBD--Brooks--Miazga--Yedlin

EricSunRa and frankburgers repped this.
  25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would have Zelalem in the same position. McK prefers pressing high and dropping the ball back. Zelalem likes to receive centrally and below the line and pass to the wings. Pulisic likes to drop a bit wide and then penetrate centrally to bring the ball to the danger zone. Ideally would like one more option that drops back from the top.

beerslinger23 repped this.