Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The fact that he appeared at all today tells me that the interest from Kansas City isn't super serious.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Not in the 18 for yesterday's reserve game.

freisland repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    SKC is the one team that plays to the strength of Zelalem. Have to give Vermes credit, his side has been very appealing the way they play out of the back. Not sure where GZ would play in the 4-3-3, Ilie and Gutierrez are really good and espinoza does a lot of the dirty work.

SKC are the deepest team in MLS, and after they get a DP 9 this summer, they're my favorite to win supporters shield and MLS cup.

5. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got bossed vs LAFC, but I don't disagree w/ your overall assessment of SKC. I actually think they could win the shield w/ Nemeth at the 9.

But I have a hard time seeing where Zelalem fits into the picture... Croizet, Espinoza, Gutierrez, Rowe, Ilie, Busio all play centrally. Does Zelalem have enough bite to play the 6 (Ilie)? Can he be the workhorse (Espinoza)? The playmaker (Gutierrez)? Is he better option off the bench than Croizet or Rowe? I don't know if I see it.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He could be sent to improve to the Rangers. After all, his best games were with the other Rangers.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the kid would do well to drop down a few levels in English football, lock down a starting role, play in 40 games as the starting central pivot and work his way back up if possible. MLS is a win now league. Zelalem is not a win now player at this point.

olephill2 repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Somehow I don't thing Zelalem is the type of footballer for the soccer played a few levels down in England.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Don't you mean his only games?? :(

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why? What did he ever do to you? ;)

ebado, Eighteen Alpha and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well he played eight times for Venlo in the Eerste Divisie, in the season in which they got promoted. He was terrible though.

12. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    His Olney games were many years ago.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, KC thinks he is better than Busio? Busio has a good engine and can play both sides of the ball.If anything, KC needed a destroyer that can pass. Zelalem is an excellent passer but his engine is weak and can't defend.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him more as potentially a better version of Kuzain than a better version of Busio. I don't think Zelalem and Busio are all that similar.

Busio is a player who is more proactive. He has a way of making things happen. Zelalem is a poor man's Darlington Nagbe.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Shame it never worked out at Arsenal. Here's to a brighter future. :thumbsup:

16. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Stay healthy, work your way into the rotation, make the January 2020 roster

I'd be excited with a progression like that

The Irish Rover, wixson7 and edcrocker repped this.
  17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move. He used the Arsenal contract to get as healthy as possible and receive a good check.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not overly optimistic, but GZ has great touch and can pass. I hope he can translate his game into MLS success. He has so much talent, it would be great to see him find a way to make it useful to a team.

edcrocker, wixson7 and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. I’m with you. Every time I watch him in the context of a match, I’m impressed. At least, I was like 3 years ago. Let’s hope he brings it all together. He’s easily one of the most skilled American youths I’ve seen play. It would speak well for a whole lot of people if he can pull the renaissance.

edcrocker and wixson7 repped this.
  20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Hate to say it.......but mods need to close this thread soon. Loved his time in YA.

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If it is a loan... No the thread does not need closing.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unless he signs a contract extension (unlikely), it's not going to be a loan. He's out of contract in June.

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a month and a half later, if he goes to MLS, he'll could participate in Olympics qualifiers.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Never proved he is even MLS level.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem is a poor man's Darlington Nagbe. Everyone falls in love with the technique and smoothness on the ball, but he can't defend and is super passive going forward.

The local reports in KC are that they will try to turn him into a DM. That makes sense and is a good move for his career. Vermes has as good a shot at turning GZ into a solid defender as any manager. But nobody can really teach creativity and a killer instinct.

wixson7, USSoccerNova and ChuckMe92 repped this.