Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He'll have to be used as Boyd or Aronjo: five minutes at a time.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    #2902 wixson7, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Ive always had this opinion to never sleep on him. I felt when/if he built him self up physically, matured, and let go that he once was playing a lot for Arsenal at 16 during a preseason, he would come around and be a stud. We will see what happens.

Ive always felt that Zelalem and Green were both mega-prospects that were both casualties of early potential and international bidding wars that created uneccesary hype and pressure. barring injuries, don't be shocked to see them as Champions League Level starters when they are 27-29.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    True. Very few players are multi-cycle players. Some develop early and fade, some get slept on and have a late awakening. Skillful midfielders, central defenders, d-mids sometimes need more time.

5. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And sometimes, everything is there but the nastiness - the grit and determination to hassle, tackle, recover, and then work the magic.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    That nastiness is what used to define USMNT players.

taylor repped this.
  7. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In a tournament, the tired team is usually obvious. Everything is just a foot off with passes and 50/50 challenges. The same goes for players who lack physicality. The other side to that coin is the mentality.

With Zelalem, I worry that it isn't there. A lot of focus has been placed by fans, media, and BS on his physique - but I think that it goes hand and hand with the mentality to win every battle.

DHC1 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem made the bench for the Arsenal U21s today. Didn't get off the bench.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what a sad trajectory he's going through. Has already been out for a year and a half.

wonder how much he'll change as a player because of his long term injuries.

Winoman repped this.
  11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would use the word relentless. Like Palatine called the Jedi ;)

12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing specific, just "minor setback."

However, Zelalem hasn’t featured in subsequent matchday squads for the U23s, and he confirmed on social media that he has endured another setback.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and ebbro repped this.
  14. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    There’s gotta be more to this. Hoping he’s not in Stu Holden territory. Over a year is far too long for an ACL plus whatever else. If a “minor setback” was a sprained ankle, he’d have said “sprained ankle.”

I don’t understand why none of these American soccer journalists can get an interview with some of these young guys who aren’t going to get a lot of local press. Seems like it wouldn’t be hard. He’s rehabbing for a living.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's Arsenal, so I'm not surprised. Santi Cazorla almost lost his foot after an Achilles injury. Their medical team is awful.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  16. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    There's a misconception that ACL rehab is now "routine" and I don't think that's at all the case. It might be "routine" in that it's no longer an instant career ending injury but for run and jump athletes in soccer and the NBA especially it seems if not a career ender -- a career alterer. And not in a good way.

I've battled serious knee injuries as a weekend warrior and I've spent entirely too much time researching my own rehab, prehab, and fitness. What often happens is that you subconciously alter your gait or running style and then you have injuries all up and down your chain -- feet, achilles, calf, hips, and back problems. I wouldn't be suprised if that is what is happening ot Gedion.

Maybe a strained calf here or a case of plantar fasciitis or ____ that just keeps him from going 100%. And of course it can be the surgically repaired knee itself. If nothing else he's probably dealing with soreness and stiffness, and probably will as long as he's a pro athlete.

At this point I hope the guy can just stay healthy and play 10 years in MLS or something. He's done as a top level prospect and player. He might be done all together after his contract runs out.

wrench repped this.
  17. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    We really haven’t even seen it be an alterer in the NBA for guys with one ACL tear under the age of 30 for quite some time. Can’t think of one example (Harry Giles was multiple he’s the only one I can even think of with 2 that’s had a real impact).

18. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Derrick Rose bro

19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    NFL and NBA ACL injuries (mainly NFL) probably heal better because of PEDs, I don't have evidence but I suspect it.

20. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Ibra made it back in 7 months

21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ibra isn't human

22. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Porzingas.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rose has had a LITANY of leg injuries besides the ACL. It wasn't only an ACL injury alone that has him looking like hot trash.
    Porzingis is now coming back from his injury. There is no way for you to know if he will be the guy before the injury or not … until we see him play. We are about to find out this season.

24. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    rose, rubio, lavine, jefferson and probably zinger as well as you mentioned are obvious examples. those guys had their career significantly impacted negatively by the injury. I don't think a single NBA player has come back from an ACL and gone on to surpass their production prior. Not a single one.

Zach Lavine was horse shit last year for the Bulls, yea he was "athletic" still but he sucked. For the pros, it's not really about measuring your vertical or your 40 or your soccer equivalent post surgery but the athletic timing that is so hard to get back.

all that said, he's got youth on his side, which is huge. we'll see if his heart is in it to keep at it should he not find many people calling after Arsenal.

25. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    this is way off topic but as someone that is interested in rehab and knees in general and has seen the videos of him rehabbing in europe and watched pro trainers break down those videos -- he's ********ed.

he's doing pretty much everything exactly wrong. the guy zinger is training with is a complete neanderthal training wise. zinger is young and stupid it appears, well, his IG game is strong...

and I say all this as a guy that was / is a huge fan of his on the basketball court. the markkanen and zinger matchup last year was LIT.

ok sorry for off topic.