Gear again, but with a twist

Discussion in 'Referee' started by timtheref, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It really is a matter of personal preference. I used to use plastic bags but I didn't like how the always slid all around and wouldn't stay organized. I would fold my LS backwards so the sleeve was on the outside of the fold letting me see it in the bag.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Those freezer bags have the further advantage of already being in the kitchen drawer.

3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    those wrinkles tho

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They smooth right out on me. :p

voiceoflg and Schlager repped this.
  5. Joe Waco

Joe Waco Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Didn't want to create a new thread just for socks so bumping this one. What socks do most of y'all wear? I'm gearing up and got everything except socks covered.

When I reffed 10 years ago, I thought all of the 3 striped socks sucked. It would be nice if we could just wear black socks and actually get something worth a crap.

I've been debating buying a new pair of black Nike's and putting the 2 white lines on it. Just don't know how feasible that is ha!

6. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    3 stripe socks are being phased out by us soccer, I have seen anyone customize regular black socks into two stripe socks. Let us know how it goes if you decide to go that route.

7. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    My two-stripe socks are thinner than my three-stripe socks. I wear two stripes everywhere except for the two assignors that insist on three stripes, and except for when it is really cold and the assignor lets me wear pants.

9. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final Decision probably has the most comfortable socks I've ever owned (three-stripe). The OSI "Italian" sock isn't bad. Around here most people still wear 3-stripe.

10. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Score #707 are my favorite 3 stripers, by far.
    Long, thin, modern construction--different panels of different tightness at different spots along the foot and leg. Avail in King length. (The picture on their site is not representative of the actual sock.)
    I wear wool socks underneath.
    Since USSF put out that memo, I am looking forward to trying Score's new two stripe version, which looks like is the #7017. (If I have to...) I had it in my basket yesterday, but since they did not have the new Yellow LS jersey in stock, I did not pull the trigger.

I tried the Agora 3 striper suggested on the first page in this thread, but did not like it because the fabric was very slippery between the sock and the shoe. The Score 707 has a good 'grab'.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Socks. OK, regardless of which and how many stripes you wear on the outside, here's my annual endorsement of these compression socks worn underneath. Magic.

cinepro repped this.
  12. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I've been wearing calf sleeves under mine, Unfortunately, one of them is BRIGHT pink and you can see it through my black sock. They're life-savers

cinepro repped this.
  13. Joe Waco

Joe Waco Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Looks like I need to try the Score ones out!

cinepro repped this.
  14. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I may give those a go this fall. I wear McDavid's compression socks but they come with the toes cut out. They work great on the legs, but by the fourth game the toe end rides up and bunches.