GC's Biggest Dissapointments: Player/Team

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MetroChile, Jun 15, 2011.

1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think it would be nice to talk about who we all think are the biggest dissapointments in the tournament thus far.

For player, I'd pick Bryan Ruiz. For team, I certainly expected more from Cuba and Guadalupe.

Discuss.

2. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My biggest disappointment is cleary Guadeloupe. Lack of preparation, lack of experience. Some players not involved in the event. Glaring tactical error of the technical staff especially against Panama.

Grenada was a little disappointment too.

3. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada. Nobody expected Guadeloupe, Cuba, or Grenada to move on past the group stage. We were expecting the Quarter finals as a minimum. We failed miserably, scoring only two goals and off of questionable penalties at that.

4. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Cuba by a mile.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e06qoVhZhlQ"]PANAMA 0 - 3 CUBA[/ame]

This was less than a year ago, so what happened? Trinidad or Haiti would have been a better addition to this cup. I'm also very disappointed in my own team.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I dunno about "nobody". It was only in 2007 when Cuba outplayed Mexico for a whole half at Giants Stadium, with even some chants of "olés" being heard in that game. That was also the same game in which Cuba was up 1-nil at one point (eventually Mexico went onto win the game but the point remains). To say that "none expected (Cuba or Guadalupe) to move on" is certainly a bit of a stretch.

Furthermore, Guadalupe went real far in 2007. I understand it was 4 years ago but an 0-3 exit this year was certainly not in most people's calculations.

Re: Canada--you guys shot yourselves in the foot on Saturday, when you were able to score more against a 10-man team. Playing with a numerical advantage for that long should have been a plus and with 3-4 more goals in there, you could have qualified.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm tempted to say Guadeloupe, but they played with 10 men for so long, it's hard to get a read. At one point, I thought they were going to come all the way back against Panama.

For me, it has been the USA. Yes, we advanced, but not very impressive at any stage, and clearly outplayed by Panama in game 2.

7. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Canada is biggest dissappointmen by far. Disastrous play in all three matches, failed to score in-play goal in 270 minutes, failed to score in-play goal to 10 men Guadeloupe side in almost 90 minutes with player +, just embarrassing.
    Those Caribbean teams that went out were not expected to go thru, but their though losses - not Gwada Boys, of course, they were at least competitive - could be described as dissappointments.

8. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Team: Costa Rica and USA
    Players: Bryan Ruiz and Cristian Bolanos

9. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Bryan Ruiz is not always this sh!tty with the NT, is he? My God: I've yet to see him complete a dribble attempt succesfully in 4 games now. :eek:

Guess he still has time to do it during today's game, though.

10. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cuba for sure, they had alot of potential and completely embarrassed themselves.

Canada was disappointing but they didn't play too bad plus had the toughest group.

11. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    If we're talking players it's Saborio. Missed two penalties, numerous sitters, and was completely lifeless in four games. National teams should be for players who care about the flags they're representing rather than how much they pocket.

12. JohnBlah123

JohnBlah123 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    are you kidding canada was pretty disapointing they only scored 2 goals... one was against a team with 10 men and the other was against an uninspired panama.... team didnt have any creativity

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    This.

Alvaro Saborio had one of the worst tournaments I have ever seen by anyone.

14. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Canada's seeming lack of desire to get forward at all

15. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Canada and Costa Rica should of done better

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Canada: can't score equals can't advance. However, there were no pushovers in their group. Too bad.
    USA: Seemingly no desire.
    Costa Rica: Can't seem to pull out the wins and lost badly to Mexico.

17. captainTsubasa

captainTsubasa New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Guatemala City
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    im gonna go with cuba, they are according to fifa, in the top 6 of the region, and they just got obliterated in this tournament, and player Bryan Ruiz is an obvious choice, but im gonna have to say that Landon Donovan has been kind of a dissapointment for me

18. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan hasn't done anything this tournament. I guess Bryan Ruiz was a bit of a disappointment, but he always disappoints for the national team. Saborio has played badly all year for both club and country, so I wasn't that surprised by how bad he did.

I think the US has been the most disappointing team so far.

19. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Simeon Jackson was my biggest disappointment after leading the charge to get Norwich promoted to the Prem. almost single handedly down the stretch, and not doing anything in the tournament.

However other than that I feel like Canada played pretty well and were only victims of the group of death, as we never had a clown squad like Grenada and Cuba to absolutely destroy (Guadeloupe is actually really good, despite Canada being up a man for 85+ minutes). I disagree with us "lacking the desire to get forward," I feel the real problem is a lack of finishing ability up front. .....So my most disappointing team is actually Costa Rica. I felt they'd give Mexico a better run for their money and as if they wouldn't have very much trouble with Honduras, who ended up beating them.

20. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Players:

1. Saborio
    2. Donovan

Teams:

1. Canada
    2. Costa Rica

21. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    The Jamaican team in the QF minus Ricketts/Ryan Johnson they gave the USA too much respect. We played much better against Argentina in Mars De Plata