GBS to ATL?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by STR1, Oct 22, 2018.

1. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad hire, IMO.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As echoed elsewhere I feel safe in saying they'll hire someone with a strong South American pedigree. True we've built a setting and a reputation that will convince many players to come here but you still want a coach that resonates with the top players. To wit, I wonder the extent the players have been/are being consulted about the possible prospects.

I'm not averse to Schelloto but still leaning toward Sampoli, assuming either are seriously interested. I just hope whoever comes stays more than 2 seasons.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    I'm not even concerned about the duration for the next up. I mean take a look at Barcelona's managers since Cruyuff left in the 90s. You'd be hard pressed to find many managers that last more than a couple seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FC_Barcelona_managers

Overall they seem to be performing pretty well.

And I do think it's a valid compare as we have the resources to keep the talent coming in behind departing talent. Both managerial and player

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True, but:

1. Barcelona had a pedigree before Cryuff and a brand appeal that meant they could recruit top candidates at will. Especially as they're in La Liga and have access to the UCL, places coaches view as final destinations. Atlanta and MLS don't have the same cachet, and while we're the belle of the MLS ball right now that doesn't mean we're invincible within the MLS spectrum. At the least there are far more challengers to the MLS crowns than there are in La Liga.

2. Barcelona has an established academy and lie in a nation where players want to be. Atlanta, not so much. Again, we're ahead of the curve by MLS standards but we're still reliant on foreign stars to keep the team atop the MLS hill, and that means having a coach who will attract said talent.

Given these factors it's understandable that there needs to be concern over coaching changes at any MLS club, because we're not always going to have the deepest pool of quality candidates at our beck and call. What happens if GBS and Sampoli both say no? How far down the list until we fans begin to think "Uh oh."

I'm not panicking, but I think there is a noticeable drop off after guys like Martino. For MLS players like Almiron are rare. Coaches like Tata even moreso, I fear. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

wetcrispy repped this.
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the Cup win. Well deserved.

As a Crew fan, I would hate to see Guille coaching somewhere else in MLS. But I do think he would do a good job for you.

7. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think GBS is tired of being in Argentina, judging by his recent press comments. If he comes to Atlanta, there's a big chance he ends up at another MLS Club in the future rather than returning to South America. So even if we hire him, the Crew would still be a possibility for the future (assuming a new ownership group decides to actually spend money on the team and whatnot).

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Our Inside Man said Guille was mentioned to ownership as a candidate, but they did not seem interested. So stupid. He checks all the boxes for us:

1) He can coach/had success
    2) Helps a small market team pull in talent from SA with his rep (Porter will not)
    3) Helps rebuild trust/enthusiasm with the fan base.

I loved that Haslam saved the team, but fear he is kind of stupid.

For you guys, Bielsa or some others would do just as well.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Could price/salary demands be a factor? No offense but I imagine Atlanta can afford a more expensive coach than Columbus, and if GBS thinks he's worth a certain amount after having built up a resume...

Just thinking out loud.

10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence my comment about the new ownership. Current and past ownership wouldn't have (and probably couldn't have) spent that much on a coach. If the Cleveland Browns' owners buy the Crew, then they're probably in the same neighborhood as Uncle Arthur money-wise.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, after Boca, he may have decided he does not particularly enjoy coaching where he played.

Looks like we lost on GBS (for whatever reason) but beat out LA for Caleb Porter. If you have to lose, beating LA is a good consolation prize.