Gballin! Gboly Ariyibi in Turkey

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good way to make up for penalty he gave up for the first goal I'd say

Tom Collingsworth, wixson7 and Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland and Winoman repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Assist and a drawn pk.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    3-2 win, Ariyibi assisted on the second.

Ariyibi finishes what, for me, is the most unexpectedly successful YA loan I've ever followed.

18 appearances, 1,357 minutes, 2 goals, 4 assists.

His Forest contract expires in 2020, so hopefully he can make a permanent move somewhere this summer.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Be good if it happens. Forest have a) consistently made it clear that they don't rate him and b) are looking to build a promotion-quality squad. They're shopping in a very different supermarket now, and they'll be glad to get his wages off the books.

This level t(League One equivalent) is one that he's show he can perform at. Improve on his game and maybe the Old Firm will take a look in 2-3 seasons. If not, he'll get PT and play his (admittedly old school) game on a regular basis.

edcrocker repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why's it unexpectedly?

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #611 adam tash, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    he's been treated like he doesn't exist (particularly at youth level) by USSF (a bit unfairly, imo)....

not having much us youth experience has made it very hard to latch on in Europe over the years....few players with his profile have found club success in Europe.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because he was a League One rotational player on two relegated teams in 2017-18, and didn't even come close to the field in the first half of 2018-19.

The fact that he started almost every week in Scotland AND produced goals and assists is wild to me, given how his last 18 months have gone.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've said it before and i'll say it again -

playing time at a given club/league/coach does not always correlate to ability or "level".....the selection of players by a soccer team is a very subjective and idiosyncratic process. (that said, being left out of team for an extended period of time does have a negative impact on a player - so it often plays out that the players who are out of favor don't resurrect themselves very often - even when given the chance...observers can then look at it and say - see the club was right to not rate that player! but that glosses over the reality of the situation...players need a consistent run of games to prove their ability..and many times don't get that chance before being "judged" by their overseers).

that so many seem to interpret how clubs/managers treat players as unbiased irrefutable verdicts on players is so odd to me.

yes there is a general pattern of players "finding their level" in the sport....in general, the "cream does rise" - not exactly saying it doesn't...but its also important to remember that soccer "experts" can have (often wildly) different rankings/ratings of the same players...and these are the people who divvy out playing time.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fine, whatever, he also wasn't any good in League One either.

In 2017-18, he had 34 appearances and failed to produce any goal contributions in 32 of them. On TWO different relegated teams.

In 2016-17, he had 28 appearances, almost all as either a winger or attacking mid, and he scored 0 goals.

So, by all means, bang this drum as much as you want, but this isn't the player who you want to die on that hill for.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch him play any club soccer, so I cannot really comment with conviction. I will say that producing for relegation-fodder-type teams can be extremely challenging - Jozy couldn't, Bobby Wood couldnt, etc....only rare players manage to look good on sinking ships....

All I remember was seeing him come on vs England U23s for a cameo one time and being impressed. When most of that US squad looked out of their depth....He looked the part and stood out on that day, imo.

Subsequently, I was shocked that he wasn't included beyond that appearance.

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Irish Rover repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #617 The Irish Rover, May 22, 2019

You do realize that he grew up in England and came through Southampton' (top-rated) youth system? That he was snapped up immediately by Leeds (who were then in good shape) when he was released by them?

The US youth system has had absolutely nothing to do with his development, and experience with them or the lack of it has eff all to do with him latching on in Europe or anywhere else on planet earth.

18. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it odd to hear he was treated like he didn't exist by USSF during youth levels. He was a steadfast member of the U17s and played at every level above that up to and including Olympic qualifiers.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #619 adam tash, May 22, 2019
    american players without us youth/full usmnt experience OR being actually european born and/or raised...do not succeed in europe at anywhere close to the rate of those that do.

being involved in the USSF setup is a powerful springboard to european club access....without it the odds go way down for american soccer player succeeding

20. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although that track record could begin to change. In the past we had Bradenton which was our primary setup and that was linked with the baby NATs. That set up allowed around 20-30 individuals to get trained and that basically made up our youth national teams. Now, we see clubs both in MLS and abroad taking the central role in player development. Consequently, we have a MUCH larger pool to draw from. Look at the U20 roster and compare it to the U17 roster from earlier. Lots of changes due to the expanded player pool.

adam tash repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its changing for sure but not yet.....I think the euro clubs want to see it verified internationally before going for american players. the pendulum is shifting though

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States