Gballin! Gboly Ariyibi in Turkey

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Aug 20, 2011.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Won the League One promotion playoff last season.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, he is the classic underachiever....Fast, strong, big (6'1), excellent arsenal of moves. Yet, he doesn't put it together to succeed.

3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish tab had given him a shot. he has all of the attributes needed in a winger.
    still think he would be maybe someone who would look much better than expected for the USMNT but will never get the shot cuz of where he plays club football.

jjmack repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still at Nottingham Forest... played against a 2nd tier Welsh club:

I assume "Gbdy" is the approved Welsh spelling.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor...players-could-leave-nottingham-forest-1836586

What’s the manager said? “Gboly is a different situation because he has been out on loan and did not always play. The best thing for him might be to go out on loan again, to somewhere where he will play games.

“He needs to go on loan and play some games. Because if you do not play when you are out on loan, it is nothing.”

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting for Forest's U23s, gets an assist:

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started for the U23s:

Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is such a physically gifted player that never was able to put it all together.

wixson7 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts for U23s:

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    More Yanks in Scotland! In all honestly, seems like a good move if he can get playing time. As mediocre as the SPL can be at times, it's far better than the U23 side for a Championship team.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Check out @MotherwellFC’s Tweet:

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Their first game after the winter break is an FA Cup match on the 19th, home against Ross County.

They started the season exclusively playing with a back 3, but have gone to a back 4 significantly more often following an injury to their regular RM, Chris Cadden.

Cadden tore his patella tendon (ouch) in November, and is out until at least late February. That injury means that Ariyibi is the only player on the roster whose primary position is right midfield or right wing. If he can show well in training, there's definitely an opportunity to get some real playing time.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Seems like a player they wanted to have rather than are willing to accept:

“We’ve been tracking the player for quite some time and I'm really pleased to get this agreed and over the line,” Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson, who also welcomed Ross McCormack to Fir Park from Aston Villa, told the club’s official website.
    “He’s a fast-footed, speedy forward player who can plays on either flank or through the middle. He fits the type of profile we were looking for and will hopefully provide a different dimension in the forward areas.”

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/...r-reacts-after-signing-nottingham-forest-flo/

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great info. Props.

This is a real opportunity for him. He's done well in League 1 overall - "unplayable" on a good day - and the bottom third of the SPL isn't a very different level. If he shows well and consistently, he could get picked up by a top third side and maybe kick on from there.

He failed at Forest, but then so did a lot of people under the previous lunatic chairman.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it is a bit too soon to talk about him in the past tense.

to me, it seems like a case of a player not being given a proper opportunity more than one whose performance has been lacking....

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, it's more about making a bad move in joining Forest. It's hard to blame a lad when a biggish club comes waving a big pay rise and a push for promotion to the Premier League, but the club was a shitshow with an obvious manic-depressive chairman who seemed to act as his own Director of Football. IIRC when Gboly joined he made it 34 players under contract, and the coach who signed him/was there when he signed got the sack soon after and was replaced by Aitor Karanka, a disciple of Jose Mourinho: which another way of saying that a talented winger who lacks iron tactical discipline was never going to get PT.

Karanka may be sacked soon, but there was no point in hanging around to find out, so at least his off-field decision-making has improved.

ttrevett repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay. didn't know all the details.

still seems like - at least partially - a matter of opportunity.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be so, but a player has to come through when the chips are down. The first time I saw him I thought "This guy has it". Then he gets pulled out from our youth team qualifier because he didn't follow the instructions given. Next, he gets loaned out and starts well because he is given a chance, and then the same thing happened.
    I hope he finally is given the time to figure things out. He still young enough, his career is not over, yet.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    At 23 it's not a bit too soon to be talking in the past tense, it's way too soon, but if he doesn't do it in the next 18 months it will be time to do that.

All the analyses suggest that he's got all the tools (he wouldn't have got into, let alone finished, Southampton's academy otherwise) but is hamstrung by a combination of tactical indiscipline when he's not in possession and poor decision-making when he is.

Sort those deficiencies out and he could get 5-6 years in the Old Firm or the Championship. If not, it's League One bottom-feeders and League Two before dropping to non-League in his early 30s.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At least he's healthy. That alone gives him more chances than many of the other YsA.

Still not watching the SPL until they improve. Although if they improve then none of our Yanks there would be getting minutes. Catch-22.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too...when i saw him against england u23 he stood out and I didn't understand why he wasn't on the squad after that.

i understand why coaches value following orders so highly - but following orders isn't going to score goals or do exceptional things on the field - its the recipe for 25% possession bunker teams, though. following orders is awesome (especially for defensive players) but its not the be-all-and-end-all many coaches make it out to be....

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in a sense, this is what happened to Parks in 2018. He got his chance, he was to stay back but he played the way he knows how to play, he made his moves and went up to the final third and had a shot at scoring but didn't convert and was never seen again. If he would have scored the coach would have no choice but to play him again.

With Ariyibi, he is supposed to score but doesn't do it at the rate to offset his deficiencies.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started today for Motherwell in Scottish cup play. He went the distance as Motherwell fell to Ross County.