Gatorade - U.S. Soccer commercial

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by pdolan, Apr 24, 2006.

1. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    http://www.gatorade.com/footer/contact_feedback.php

I wrote Gatorade and thanked them.

I know it's marketing, but it still shows Americans who don't follow the sport what our team goes though to represent the national colors, and that they take great pride in wearing the USA national shirt.

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Very good commercial.

If they really wanted to get some people fired up they could have shown the no class Mexican fans with the "Remember Twin Towers" signs, but I can see why Gatorade didn't do that.

3. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean friggin' sweet? lol

Three non-soccer fans asked me if I had seen it. It is reaching the non-believers and making an impression.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Gives me chills every time I see it. ********ing incredible. And I love the kind of exposure it's getting during programs with high viewership (I don't watch much TV but in the past 2 weeks I've seen it during Fox's Sunday night lineup, 24, the NHL playoffs on NBC, and numerous times during the NFL draft).

Only quibble is I wish they'd have shown a different goal at the end rather than two shots of the Japan one (Beasley's vs. Mexico would've been perfect), but still amazing.

5. mjc1027

mjc1027 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I am happy gatorade take the game seriously now. I'm from england and moved to america and honestly i used to stay up late most nights watching american sports back home (time difference ya know), now im in america ive not even been to any venues to watch american sports, just once i went to the old mile high stadium to see the colorado rapids, back when valderrama was still a star.

many things need to change to have soccer taken seriously in america, advertising is important of course but its not the be all end all of the game, even in england the game survived long before sponsorships came, people percieve that that is all america is about, making money....and lets be honest not everyone is like that but the people at the top of the other sports, have too much infleunce with the big networks to allow an upstart soccer league to shove their sport off the schedule to allow mls coverage prime time on a saturday or sunday night.

gatorade commercials are great but looking at the bigger picture one sure thing to change the mls would be to scrap the bizzare transfer system, allowing the teams to buy who they want with a cap on a budget per season, with younger players playing in a reserve league is a step, all you have now is second rate young players being and the mls teams being forced to sign them when they probably want better but know they cannot get it.

im not expecting micheal owen or ronaldinho to sign into the mls anytime soon but allowing the mls teams to compete with other worldwide clubs has to be a good thing, right now the mls is just in a bubble all on its on, in a way its how people see many americans and its upto people like yourselves who love soccer to change that.

but a good commercial......not as good as the nike ones though

6. soccer_matt

soccer_matt New Member

May 3, 2006
    I loved this commerical. I enjoyed it so much I google it so I could see it again. I found this thread which discussed the positives of the commericial but I also found the following which really tried to bash the ad. While soccer bashing isn't anything new in the US this writer took it a step further but calling it a communist sport, etc... Check it out for yourself and let this guy know how you feel.

http://billfitz.blogspot.com/2006/04/musical-disgrace.html

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Soccer the communist sport.

2 of the last places of Communism, Cuba and Venezuela. What is the most popluar sport there?

8. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI
    Saw it again. Can't help feeling for Twellman a bit now.

9. th12

th12 Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Woodside, California
    I'm going to have to say...... Baseball!

10. th12

th12 Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Woodside, California
    Wow. Shows that there still are many ignorant people out there.

11. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all you need to know about this guy...
    Quote from his site-
    "For the sake of a disclaimer I am a Conservative and I worked on the Bush Campaign and interned in Santorum's office,"

sorry. I guess we're not supposed to go there... but you do tend to see this kind of idiotic anti-soccer rhetoric only coming from uber-conservatives.

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    http://www.ussupporters.com/images/mexico05-10-medium.jpg

Again, I can see if Gatorade didn't want to go this way (as this clearly isn't the sentiment of all Mexicans), but if they were looking to grab the attention and stir up the emotions of the general American public then this would have done wonders on the ad.

13. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI
    We're trying to promote soccer, not start a border war because of a couple of idiots.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    It was on during the West Wing tonight, and during a couple of the NBA playoff games.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Saw it once during each episode of Family Guy last night. This is also where I originally saw the ad a week or two ago.

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm amazed at how heavy of a rotation this ad is in.

Particularly in May (sweeps month) and in prime time.

I'd like to know what Gatorade's overall ad buy is.

17. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it during Desperate Housewives last night. (My wife, um, err...)

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Dude, all you've got to say is Eva Longoria. Come on now.

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great ad, my favorite part is the shot in the lockerroom where the roof is shaking and santino is looking up all nervous, and McBride is right next to him just tying his shoes.

20. Let's not stereotype. I'm a big-time conservative and I love soccer. I'm not the only one. And we all know liberals who hate soccer too.

I will have a chat with my fellow righty on this, but when I'm on this board, "left wing" and "right wing" refer only to positions on the field. I know where to go to discuss politics, not to soccer-related boards.

21. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, my old college roommate is a brain-washed liberal, and he says the same crap about soccer.

It has nothing to do with politics...ignorant sports fans exist in every part of the spectrum.

22. Also running on ESPN's Baseball Tonight.

I wonder how ESPN will effectuate its anti-soccer conspiracy this year. Carrying all 64 games, very clever.

ESPN/ABC also has its own ad highlighting soccer as "one game that changes the world" (I'm paraphrasing and could have the title wrong, but it's a nice little survey of the universality of the sport).

I do get chills when I see the Gatorade commercial (as I did with the "two seconds" ad) and I have to be careful not to let my optimism for the future of the sport get away with me.

But it is pretty damn exciting to be at this moment in American soccer, is it not?

23. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

To the point where we are 30 some days out, and I already feel like I'm going to barf from the nerves.

(I love it)

24. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Which Nike ones? I don't think the Joga Bonita series are anywhere near the quality of the steel cage match commercials last World Cup, or the Brazilian players on the beach and at the airport commercials. I would rate this commercial better than the Joga Bonita series easily.

25. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    That's because it is.