Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Bill Archer, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

Garbers' Big Austin Push: Lies, Racism and Desperation

By Bill Archer on Jan 11, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    Down in Austin Texas there's a guy named Richard Soldana who owns and runs a PR firm which specializes in marketing to the Mexican American and minority communities.

So naturally when the "lie firm" of Garber, Precourt & Greeley went looking for someone willing to pimp out Austins' Hispanic community for cold hard cash, Soldana was their man.

This is at least partly because, as we all know, Don Garber has a long-cherished fantasy that fielding a random group of men running around in short pants will cause Mexican-American soccer fans to swoon with joy, and 20 years of evidence to the contrary - including one folded team - has not served to dampen his faith one bit.

So when you're looking to gin up some support with the locals in Central Texas, what could be more natural than waving the "worlds' game" flag around a bit? Ole, ya'll.

(Soldanas' firm is of course in addition to MLS' other - apparently "non-Mexican" - PR firm, plus the five member lobbying team, plus the big name real estate development lawyer and some clown named Kit McConnagle who seems to be a local sports icon but mostly seems desperate for actual paying work. More on all that in a bit.)

From the very beginning of the MLS/PSV full-court-press charm offensive aimed at prying loose 20 or so acres of prime downtown Austin City Park land (at no charge, of course) for Frat Tonys' playhouse, one constant theme repeated over and over by their unbelievably creepy man-on-the-ground Dave Greeley has been to the effect that PSV loves them some Hispanics. Every time Greeley speaks he makes a special point of telling everyone that the team is particularly interested in "Hispanic outreach" and that the "Hispanic community" is a critical component in all their planning.

So as Soldana (yes I know there's supposed to be a damned tilde over the "n", I just don't know how to make one), in return for a nice fat check, is squiring Greeley around Austin (and I do hope he remembers to have the car interior fumigated afterwards), to break bread with all the Mexican-American movers-and-shakers down in ATX, you can be certain that "we love and respect you brown folks" is high up on his list of bullet points.

As when he meets up with the Texas Association of Mexican American Chambers of Commerce (that's Soldana on the left)

[​IMG]

and the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GAHCC) Board of Directors

[​IMG]

and the United States Hispanic Contractors Association (USHCA) Board of Directors

[​IMG]

In between buying them food and booze and handing out free scarves - and I will bet anyone anything they'd like that PSV/MLS has already spent more on genuine Adidas/MLS licensed free scarves than they spent in all of 2017 marketing the Columbus Crew) you can be sure that Dave, Tony and Don's respect and unbounded love for the Hispanic community is topic #1.

And it's a cynical, racist, baldfaced lie.

When FratTony bought the Columbus Crew from Clark Hunt in 2013, the team had in place an extensive and highly effective Hispanic outreach program.

Under then-President Mark McCullers and Hunt Sports, who both took the whole thing very seriously in terms of resources and emphasis, the Crew worked tirelessly at making the Hispanic community feel welcome in Crew Stadium.

In addition to the more-or-less standard "Hispanic Heritage Night" games, they hired a full-time Hispanic Outreach coordinator, as well as someone who generated Spanish language content on the teams' official website. All in-stadium PA announcements were made in both English and Spanish. There was a loud and very active supporters group "La Turbina Amarilla" whose drums and horns, located smack in the middle of the Nordecke, gave the whole stadium a heartbeat. (I'm particularly partial because my kid used to wander over into La Turbinas' section and they'd let him pound a drum sometimes. What a treat.)

Less than two years after PSV, under President Dave Greely, took over team operations, it was all gone.

No more Hispanic Recognition night. No more Spanish language game reports. Spanish ceased to be heard over the stadium PA system. Spanish language advertising was terminated. The Crew Hispanic Coordinator position was vacated.

The final insult for the Hispanic fan community was when, in the 2015 playoffs, the team refused to sell La Turbina their traditional seats in the Nordecke. They were simply told no, without explanation. They were, however, offered alternate seats in opposite end of the stadium. Where visiting fans are seated.

They rightly told Crew management to go ******** themselves. They had worked hard, earned respect and they weren't about to accept insults in return. A decade's work gone in a flash, at the direction of Dave Greeley.

Someone asked team President Andy Loughnane, who gives new meaning to the term crapweasel, why the Crew stopped literally all marketing aimed directly at the Hispanic community. He replied that now Crew marketing (until, that is, they stopped all local advertising a year ago) is aimed at "everybody".

Which, as I understand it, is not exactly how marketing to minorities works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Many, many people - the Crew's previously intensely loyal Hispanic fan base among them - feel that this is an example of racism, straight up, hold the ice and the slice of lime.

I'm no expert on that kind of thing and I try very hard not to go there unless we're talking about Grant Wahl making jokes about black people eating fried chicken. That one seems like a no-brainer.

Likewise, I have no reason to believe that Mr. Soldana is working with Greeley in anything other than good faith, unaware of the kind of folks he has cast his lot with.

To me, this is simply a case of the "business metrics" that Don Garber prattles on about like a six year old on Ritalin: his cynical sockpuppets at PSV - Precourt and Greeley - identified a vulnerable fan group that they could easily alienate, offend and chase off as part of the overall scheme to drive down attendance without causing too much commotion. It could have been Armenians or Fiji Islanders. All that mattered was that they could be isolated without repercussions, because those could only come from MLS and Garber has their back.

Whether that's racist or simply morally reprehensible I'll leave to you. I can only add that the smiling folks in those pictures are fortunate that they live in Austin, where Dave Greeley makes their restaurant table groan with free food, drinks and swag.

If they lived in Columbus, Ohio, that guy they're happily posing with would be refusing to sell them seats because of the color of their skin.

To have Precourt lackey Dave "Wormtongue" Greeley running around Austin passing out free scarves and buying drinks for local Hispanic business leaders while telling them all about how his bosses love, honor and respect Hispanic fans is nothing short of utterly, stunningly, unbelievably offensive to almost anyone with any kind of moral compass.

Which leaves Don Garber in the clear.

zanycrew, Pauncho, TrueCrew and 29 others repped this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bill Archer, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

This would be an interesting post if it weren't a fact that Precourt and his business here in Columbus actively alienated, then neglected the Hispanic fan base. How do you explain that? I mean, it COULD be that he's the dumbest human being in existence and didn't think La Turbina and others were "real" Hispanic people.

Robbo Crewfan, DAFCrew, Unak78 and 2 others repped this.
    2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

I'm skeptical that this was their motivation.

Where do you stand on their decision to dispense with the annual attendance-boosting $1 Brats & Beer promotions?

In fairness to PSV though, they seem to have shaped up their act and moved to a more inclusive, equal-opportunity approach to non-marketing.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
      Columbus

Yes, they had previously been on Fox Sports Ohio which was carried statewide and shown in HiDef. But they were a lower priority than the Reds, Blue Jackets, and Cavaliers. So sometimes games were shown on tape delay. FSO wanted to renew but the team wanted to be treated better so they signed a deal with TimeWarner's sports channel. It added pre and post game shows. But they only had about 50% market share. I'd subscribed to Insight, a competitor acquired by TWC and the former Insight people got TWC's sports channel in low def.

So it was something of a fiasco and the most recent 2 year deal was much better. It was an amalgam of the local ABC, Fox, and CW affiliates (all owned by Sinclair) but the games were available on all the cable systems in HD.

I doubt PSV went for a crappy tv deal intentionally. Cutting down the advertising budget and eliminating several popular promotions is better evidence of the Major League strategy.

4. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
      PSG & Enyimba FC
      Club:
      Chelsea FC
      Nat'l Team:
      Nigeria
      #29 Unak78, Jan 12, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

Apparently you missed the primary point of the article, which is the hypocritical way they used Hispanics to drive down attendance in one area while promising to do all the things for Austin Hispanics that they just eliminated in Columbus. It's racial pandering in one area and racially targeted deconstruction in the other.

And who isn't tired of seeing this stupid SJW labeling? I usually train myself to ignore upon reading but seeing it invade this site has apparently gotten a rise out of me... as was likely intended because social justice is now evil or something... I don't know. At any rate see the following quote before throwing that tag-line around, #keepyourpoliticalshitoutofthisconversationunlessitpertainstothediscussioninquestion.

wsmaugham, JayRockers! and barroldinho repped this.
    5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

Apparently, Archer is an SJW.

This ought to go well...

Robbo Crewfan and CrewV Man repped this.
    6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
      PSG & Enyimba FC
      Club:
      Chelsea FC
      Nat'l Team:
      Nigeria

OMG, run for the hills, he doesn't like racism. That scoundrel...

wsmaugham and barroldinho repped this.
    7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

What are you on about? Does someone here like racism?

Everyone should probably stop with the assumptions.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
      Columbus

If Smoga had stuck around for his beating, I figured his first response would be that most of the promotions aren't racial/ethnic. First responders or gays or girl scouts, etc.

9. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
      Pennsylvania
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

This entire deal stinks to high heaven.

Another thing, in catering to a particular ethnic group, one is exercising racism.

C-bus repped this.
    10. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
      Pennsylvania
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

With all due respect, Bill, appealing to an ethnic sector of society is astronomically more polarizing than Fan Appreciation Day. The subjects of race and sexual proclivities aren't the same as the other examples you provided. Our society isn't at loggerheads over Special Olympics issues, for example.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I'm in the camp where people feel ethnocentric promotions, coalitions and entities are fundamentally discriminatory. I understand their stated purpose is to give everyone an opportunity to "sit at the same table" (if you will). But shutting out other ethnicities (not just Caucasian) is racism, no matter how well intended their mission may be.

Dealing with racism with more racism is like trying to douse a fire with gasoline.

Ke1n and C-bus repped this.
    11. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
      Terre Haute, Indiana
      Club:
      Columbus Crew

On the other hand, La Turbina was a self-created supporter group, and a group that chose to make ethnicity a part of the group's identity. Since one must tread this thread carefully, I will make the following observations, and maybe those more enlightened than me can tell me if I've gone astray from that which may be deemed reasonable:

1. From firsthand experience, I can say that La Turbina played a significant role in the supporters' culture, and in the atmosphere in that part of the stadium. This is true neither because of nor in spite of ethnic identity (m'kay?). But personally, I enjoyed the diversity of the supporter culture during those many years.

2. A fairly obvious effort was made by new ownership to alienate some of the hardcore supporters of this team. Perhaps they simply took this part of the fan base for granted, and didn't feel the need to spend, well, anything on marketing. But the more we learn, the more obvious it seems that there was a conscious effort to actually decrease attendance. All the better for this glorious and well-planned Austin fiasco.

3. I don't see any logical or legitimate reason for the decision to eliminate the Spanish announcements from the game day experience. I see that someone early in this thread made a broad, and perhaps intentionally boorish statement about specific promotions and then ran for the hills. I also see, and to some extent understand your notion that ethnic promotions can be perceived as discriminatory. Fine. That's a complex issue. But is it not bad business to drive away such an essential part of a fan base? Could it be racially motivated? (For the record, I think the motivation was simply alienation, which is bad enough, even without the racial component.) Is having Spanish PA announcements also discriminatory? Because I always thought that made sense.

4. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for Bill to point out that PSV's current - and rather overtly pandering and vapid - efforts in Austin seem especially hypocritical and disingenuous after what they have done in Columbus. In fact, I'm truly grateful that he has taken the time to do so. Anthony Precourt has proven himself to be one of the single worst team owners in the history of professional sports. Period.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

They don’t have Caucasian day because we have it every day.

Thx,

Jay!

TheesUhlmann, BuddhaWake and BalanceUT repped this.
    13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

I always wondered (seriously) if it would have been good outreach to have PA announcements in Somali as well, but that seems to have been a community the team NEVER reached out to.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
      United States
      Dec 28, 2006
      Cowlumbus, OH
      Club:
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Metrics?? (*ducks*)

15. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
      Seattle, WA
      Club:
      Seattle Sounders
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

LOL, because “all lives matter”, amirite?

16. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
      Queen City, OH

If this were true, how do you rationalize Soldana being hired for Hispanic outreach in Austin by the same group?

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
      Columbus

You might need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

barroldinho repped this.
    18. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
      Silver Spring, MD
      Club:
      DC United
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Bill's post is pointing out PSV's hypocrisy. As in, PSV stopped Hispanic-themed promotions in Columbus but is now pandering to Hispanic groups in Austin.

Arguing about whether the Hispanic-themed promotions are right or wrong is missing the point.

Phil J M, GHjelm, Unak78 and 4 others repped this.
    19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

"Missing the Point" could be the title of an encyclopedic history of the last couple years or so.

20. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
      Glen Cove
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

And the hypocrisy is the real issue, not racism.

If racism is the real issue, Crew fans should have been up in arms when the Latino supporters group was denied tickets in Nordecke.

We are now just hearing about this once it is ammunition in the fight to save the Crew. So the timing of who is bringing this up (Archer) makes clear that concerns about racism are secondary to him as compared to his desires to Save the Crew.

Whether a team chooses to make spanish-language announcements at the games is also just a business decision. Do all teams in MLS make english and spanish-language announcements at the games?

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
      Akron, OH

That's weird, because I remember there being quite a to-do about it back when it happened, and that was when I was particularly tuned-out due to circumstances.

Well, you maybe. But you, AFAIK, aren't a Crew fan, so you wouldn't necessarily be expected to know about it. But don't misinterpret that as "only being a concern now".

22. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
      Silver Spring, MD
      Club:
      DC United
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

"We" aren't on the ground in Columbus. Every MLS team's fans have things that are specific to them that aren't necessarily known by other MLS fans. At the time they happened, these issues were specific to Columbus. Bill Archer wrote this post now that a national context for these events has emerged.

Unak78, BuddhaWake, Feraligatr19 and 2 others repped this.
    23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
      Bakersfield, CA
      Club:
      Real Salt Lake
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

I'd rather have something more specific than a blanket "Hispanic Heritage Night" in a city like Columbus. Meaningful cultural identities tend to be more specific than that. Given the demographics of the area, specific annual recognition of Mexican-Americans, German-Americans (a good fit for Buck-a-brat night), Black Americans (those who have an ethnic identity formed in America, rather than another nation), Irish-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and so on would be great, with bi- or tri-ennial recognition and celebration for smaller groups which also reside in the area, like American Indians, Somalis, Japanese, etc. Handling religious or sexual identity is obviously more delicate, but is possible in most places, and I think Columbus is such a place.

Locals should know best how to do this, but this outreach does matter. If done sincerely and skillfully, it isn't cynical politically correct public relations pandering; it's acknowledging, respecting, and welcoming all the peoples of central Ohio. It's easy for people of many backgrounds to have the default sense soccer isn't for people like them, that it's for "millennials and Mexicans," to use a turn of phrase I've seen before. And if a lot of residents are not great at English, have announcements in Spanish as well. And signage and basic programs in Somali, too.

PSV choosing to abandon any such effort, even superficially, is a sign of their intentional neglect of Columbus's fans of all backgrounds. Their antagonism toward La Turbina Amarilla was an insult to all supporters' groups, regardless of what they look like, what language they speak, or how they speak it. By intent, this probably wasn't racist. But by impact, it was. Alienating minority fans is usually easier to do without drawing as much attention. Business and political leaders in Austin (especially Mexican-Americans and other Hispanics) should keep in mind how Precourt feels about those whom he no longer sees as useful.

Unak78, Salvadanish, Cavan9 and 2 others repped this.
    24. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
      United States
      May 18, 2017

I think the angle that PSV intentionally sabotaged the team is overblown. He certainly didn't cut corners on the pitch. He hired a great manager and improved the roster, leading to 3 playoff appearances in 4 years including a MLS Cup final and a conference final. Also, aside from 2017 where he already had one foot out the door, attendance actually increased a bit. He had conducted a season ticket campaign and managed to sell abut 1,000 more. He also pursued new jersey sponsorship, naming rights for the stadium and training facility, and new local media rights deals to increase revenue; the kind of stuff you'd see from any other owner. However....

It seems pretty obvious he wanted to move to Austin from the day he bought the team, thus the escape clause. He's not interested in efforts to "save" the Crew and therefore has rebuffed any proposals from the city. At this point, his mind is set on leaving and the only way that will change is if various aspects of the move begin to unravel (i.e. stadium location, public financing of infrastructure, timeline, temporary venue, local support or opposition, cost escalations, etc.). If things fall apart in Austin, he just might soften his stance and agree to sell. So, it may not be over yet.

crookeddy repped this.
    25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
      United States
      Dec 28, 2006
      Cowlumbus, OH
      Club:
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

There might be some disagreement on the first point. it wasn't until recently that they had the full complement of DPs. Some of the players here were developed (Meram for one) by the previous regime. That said, a small market team--no matter where the Crew ends up, it will remain a small market team--isn't going to spend like LA, NY, or Atlanta teams, and you cannot expect that they will.

Personally, I'll agree with you that Berhalter has done a good job here given some of those financial limitations--but there are a number of Crew fans who disagree, some rather vocally.

As far as the sponsorships go, there are rumors that he didn't actually go out and get them but at least one was dumped in his lap by business folks here (I'd guess Acura, as Honda is a major player in Central Ohio--but I don't know).