Garber meeting with Miami faithful about MLS?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 23, 2010.

1. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no worries...
    but if you read what i quoted.... i placed "20th Franchise" in quotation marks as to refer to the person i quoted's reference to the fact he said Beckham was granted the 20th franchise in his contract...which i don't think is the case.

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    What about Orlando ? A central city , might work better for Florida to get in MLS

3. Sicilia

Sicilia Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Club:
    Calcio Catania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Orlando is not a major league sports town. They now have a D3 team that hasn't even taken the field yet. Rawlins is going to realize in the not too distant future that he made a big mistake taking his team from Austin where the fanbase was actually growing, to Orlando, where it will wither and die. No chance of Orlando sniffing anywhere near MLS.

The title of that article is ridiculous. South Florida is absolutely on the MLS roadmap. Garber said that from the beginning the league has intended to have a franchise here. This is a top 10 TV market, which as the league continues to grow and gets better TV deals means huge potential dollars from that, and makes it a mandatory market for the league. What Garber actually said was, they WANT to be here, South Florida just needs to show they deserve another chance at a franchise. If the Strikers turn into the next Vancouver/Portland/Montreal of D2, they will assuredly find themselves right in the crosshairs of Garber's plans for #21 - #24.

5. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read between the lines, Graber has Florida in their crossheirs, Orlando, FL.

6. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes: Oh man, you're funny dude, I'll give you that. And Orlando is because they've been supporting pro soccer in their community at a high level for years now...ooops....try again. The few hundred in average attendance for Orlando SC D3 this year will certainly grab The Don's attention......ooopppss again Britney............

I think the only thing coming through between the lines here chief is if you are an example of pro soccer fans in Orlando, Mr. "Graber" as you called him, isn't going to consider the area for an outhouse, let alone an MLS franchise........

7. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Face the fact, Florida's only chance for a team is Orlando. Miami and Tampa have too much competition for the sports dollar. Also, they have no stadium or ownership group.

http://www.atfooty.com/2010/07/29/major-league-soccers-20th-team-orlando/

Realize the fact that the NASL is all Miami will ever have for a pro team. So, love the one your with and support the new "Strikers" and be happy about it!

8. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And the hits....or should I say misses......just keep coming. :rolleyes: By your logic, any city with "too much competition" for sports dollars will never work in MLS apparently. Someone forgot to tell all the thriving MLS markets out there already supporting pro franchises in multiple sports chief.....

The Strikers actually do have a stadium. It's old, definitely would need upgrading for MLS, but it was good enough for MLS once before. It would serve more then adequately for awhile until a new stadium was planned and built. Tampa I will grant you has no stadium, but USSF standards require they begin the process of one, and they didn't stay in NASL to just drop out in a year or two because they're not going to follow through on it.

I'll leave commentary on the Tampa ownership group to any Rowdies fans that would like to jump in on the discussion. As for the Strikers, ever heard of Traffic? If this community embraces the Strikers rebrand completely and shows that a move to MLS would be possible, they could be convinced to possibly go for it. Even if they didn't want to, all that is needed is tangible proof in the form of support for the team, and someone will be willing to step in and pick up the mantle. The only problem with this area is, it has been seen as a risk long enough that a potential investor is not going to jump in until they see some fan support at this point. The Ft. Lauderdale Strikers rebrand provides the perfect opportunity to launch that platform and show the proof.

Meanwhile, all you keep doing is saying "Orlando is great! Miami/South Florida and Tampa suck!" There is absolutely nothing in place in Orlando right now, nor has there ever been in the past, that in any way causes one to look there and say, "Oh wow!!! Duh!!! What an obvious spot for our next MLS franchise! How could we have missed it all these years?!?" I understand part of the point of a forum like this is for hardcore fans to come on and be passionate about wanting something, even if it has a less then snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. But come on dude, at least come up with some kind of case for your point. :confused:

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The Orlando Plutos , I can see it now. A Disney connection is a plus. I can take the kids to a game next time we go to Disney World.

10. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to say Orlando will never get an MLS team, but at this time I don't see any evidence that they are any closer to getting a team than Miami or Tampa Bay.

If Orlando gets approval to build an SSS sometime this week, I would put them ahead of Tampa Bay or Miami. However, I don't see that happening.

As much as it pains me to admit it as a Rowdies fan, Miami may be closer to getting a team, especially if they can renovate Lockhart. However, unless the Strikers draw more fans this year than Miami FC did last year, MLS will take a pass on Miami.

Go Rowdies!

11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you whole heartedly!! Also, even LA's new USL Pro D-3 team the "Blues", I beleive they will draw better than Miami. And this is inaddition to the fact that we have two MLS teams!

12. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok, I've figured this out now. This isn't some mentally challenged individual putting up random jibba jabba - this is Steve Donner right? You had me going there for awhile Steve. LOL You crazy guy you.....:rolleyes:

13. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've finally figured out that we've go two folks from the west coast (Cal & Oregon) pulling our chains for a reaction?. Ignore them & let them have their fun. Then put all of our efforts into proving them wrong....;)

14. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah, it's more fun to believe he's Steve Donner trying any way he can to pump up his brand spanking new Orlando D3 soccer team! LOL

15. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 Month after Don Garber's meeting with the Miami Ultras, Burrito the blogging chihuahua brings more pictures of the event never b4 seen
    http://bit.ly/g3Y4FS

[​IMG]

16. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good pics. Thanks...:)