Gameday Thread: Columbus Crew SC vs Toronto ButterBoyz FC (Match 15 | June 2, 2018 7:30 PM ET)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 06/02/18 match vs Toronto?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

14.6%
  2. Win by one goal

36.6%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

17.1%
  4. Lose by one goal

7.3%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

17.1%
  6. Gyasinho Golazo Bonanza™ (worth 2 points!!)

4.9%
  7. "A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or go to VAR." - Cristian Martínez

2.4%
  1. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crewster, Robbo Crewfan and TKyle repped this.
  2. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I know last night I mentioned Saied, but as soon as I drew this up...

CrewTFC3-3.JPG

... I realized a far, far better comparison for Argudo last night: Ned Grabavoy, particularly from his RSL diamond days. Definitely not a 10, definitely not a winger, or a Meram/Piatti inside forward-type either. Kind of a possession-focused shuttler.

I'd have to go back and watch tape to confirm whether or not this is how Gregg's been using him all year, but it would make sense to me if it were because it's such an unusual role. I have to be perfectly honest and admit I've been a little confused by Argudo's inclusion all season because I just couldn't work out what the hell he was out there for.

3. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Another thing, anyone else notice that Bono didn't move on Pipa's equalizer? Pipa has gotten away with enough Panenka's now that keepers are evidently just deciding to let him go ahead and score.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I noticed that. My thought was that he was trying to wait and read the taker and Pipa just blasted it into the corner so he had no chance.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think Sosa was that good last night--*except*--he brought a lot of energy into the game. He lost a ball or made a bad pass and went hard and fast to get it back. He cared--and it woke everyone else up.

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had pizza before we left. They got snow cones before heading to our seats. I figure that's plenty.

The playground was utilized at halftime, while I had my dinner of the Schmidt's platter.

The Cup should be fun.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noticed that too. I also wonder if Pipa was reading the situation or planned on avoiding the panenka since he knew Bono might anticipate it. 4D soccer from Pipa.

8. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And on the header goal, he also gave up the corner kick so x2 on that one.

9. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Smart of Bono. Its a guessing game and Pipa goes up the middle a lot. Next GK should do the same, but I hope Pipa goes to the corner again for at least the next couple so that the "book" on him is randomized again. By the way, it was a great PK. he hit that so hard and just inside the post - the rebound came out of the goal 6 yards, but the spin on the ball was still so much that it then went back in the net. It's like the ball hit by Pipa just wants to go in the goal over and over again. Bradley was trying the same thing I guess.

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won the corner that lead to Zardes' goal, made that pass that lead to Afful hitting the bar. I think he won the foul that lead to one of the other chances. He was engaged and "trying stuff."

That little bit of creativity is missing from too many of our guys. Trapp, Artur, Clark, Hansen, Martinez? All good players and all bring something to the table. They aren't likely to bring a bit of magic like you get from Pipa. Sosa is not on Pipa's level, but he's willing to try stuff. He's got a +3 goal differential in 30 minutes of MLS play. A fine debut if you ask me.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  11. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    All good points. He only gave away three balls, and two of those were in the first 90 seconds or so that he was on the field.

Also, he along with Afful on the overlap and Pipa trying to thread the through balls in behind devastated TFC's left side.

Even though it seemed a good idea at the time, Vanney bringing Hagglund on and Telfer off messed with TFC's shape and assignments.

12. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Kudo's to Gregg simultaneously expressing regret for CM's slap, but also calling out the disciplinary committee for giving CM 2 game suspension, but Zlatan only one. His criticism was completely warranted and I give him highest marks for the careful and perfect wording of his remarks.

redi44crew and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  13. TomB

TomB Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Sosa was bringing Bradley out of his defensive position, from CB to the right side of the field. He had an immediate impact on Toronto's defensive positioning.

14. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad he said something too. I'll put a "but" in there though. I think there is a bit of a difference between putting a palm on a guy's face like you're palming a basketball then giving a little shove and swinging a punch/slap at the guy's face. A slight difference too in that Zlatan was sent off and had a game tacked on, while Martinez was not punished in game at all.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference was that Zlatan also got red carded in that game. Since you can't give a half game suspension, Martinez got two.

16. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1003718550832508928 is not a valid tweet id

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is the most serious the team has taken this pointless "rivalry" in years.

Jaybir repped this.
  18. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that after the 3 subs the formation was
    Clark - Crognale - Williams (with Clark and Williams pushing high up)
    Afful - Artur - Valenzula
    Sosa - Pipa - Argudo (I feels like Pipa was higher)
    Zardes

It looks like they were trying to play between and around the TFC parked bus of defense (5) and midfielders (4).

I am going to watch again because there were many times Afful was in the middle of the field and I don't know why.. . but I loved it.

19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Ferree‏ @ben_ferree 7h7 hours ago
    CPD have confirmed the reports of an incident between #crewsc fans and #TFC supporters on Saturday. Police were dispatched twice, once at 6:30 and once at 7:48. The latter incident was when the injuries occurred.

Ben Ferree‏ @ben_ferree
    Due to the severity of the burns one victim suffered, the event rises all the way to felony assault. However, the victim refused to be interviewed by police, stating he just wanted to watch the game. Police have been unable to reach him since. Can’t move forward without his help.

Police further confirm the injuries were the result of flares, and that they reccommended the victim go to the hospital. He refused, not wanting to miss the game. No arrests were made due to the inability to identify any suspects. #CrewSC #TFCLive

CPD stayed that by the time officers arrived at the scene of the fight, the assailants had left the scene. They believed they entered MAPFRE stadium. The investigation remains open as they hope to get cooperation from the victim or further forms of evidence. #CrewSC #tfc

Jaybir repped this.
  20. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If CPD are looking for some felons, better also lock up Bradley because his performance was criminally bad.

21. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My first shot at a keyboard since the game.

This is truth -

Over 12,000 people walked through security to see a team, who's owners and league Commissioner aggressively attack our community. Community. You know, "Columbus, Ohio." Columbus CrewSC.

They insult the fan base again and again and again. They lie. They misrepresent and conceal the truth.

They spit on the fans of this great and important team.

And I'm surprised I don't hear more publicly regarding their business ethics and treatment of their sponsors. My God. Look what they've done. Anybody have a rough estimate as to the number of seats attributable to sponsors?

And yet -

Over 12,000 very rowdy people went out hard for this team - A big dam number under these extraordinary circumstances.

Thousands more legitimately protested with their absence. And they are among those who are hurt the worst. They missed last night. They are missing this season.

Saturday's comeback was an epic night in my Crew memories. This team has shown an amazing level of energy and passion. Same for our small but vocal crowds. A very passionate, rowdy family. Truly special. Nordecke has been awesome too! I was surprised how long the crowd stuck around after 3-0 deep into the second. I suppose I was surprised I did. But I couldn't leave.

This team is so much fun to watch. Not only is it brilliant soccer, this team is playing with psychotic grit, passion and selflessness. It's especially fun to watch when they're strong and fast to boot.

BTW - Clark was a great addition. I'd like to see him get more minutes. From the games I've seen this year (no reason to base a decision on) I would like to see him get more playing time with this system. He is much more of a threat attacking. Artur has seemed a bit out of sorts. Confidence perhaps slipped, where we were hoping it would grow.

Pumped for Saturday.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. It could be your last for a very long time.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is grand theft soccer team a crime?

redi44crew and POdinCowtown repped this.