Gameday Thread: Columbus Crew SC vs Toronto ButterBoyz FC (Match 15 | June 2, 2018 7:30 PM ET)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 06/02/18 match vs Toronto?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

14.6%
  2. Win by one goal

36.6%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

17.1%
  4. Lose by one goal

7.3%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

17.1%
  6. Gyasinho Golazo Bonanza™ (worth 2 points!!)

4.9%
  7. "A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or go to VAR." - Cristian Martínez

2.4%
  1. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started and ended with a penalty kick. Almost seems appropriate.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe it's the description, but if I'm imagining it correctly, such a banner makes zero sense.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SportsClubStats lists their playoff chances at 8% before today's games.

4. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know when the day will come but Berhalter will leave us. I am thankful that I get to watch entertaining soccer while he is here. He made the right changes to help us dig out of a hole tonight.

6. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I think it was a reference to the social media thing this week, plus Bradley's comments about ambition last year during the playoffs. By extension, the judges would also accept a subtle dig at AP, given Jozy's reply.

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes--consistently and constantly.

8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...Bradley made a remark about ambition during the playoffs? A quality he did NOT show during WCQ?!?[emoji35]

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio was good on all three of their goals. Watch the replays--perfectly weighted passes on the play that led to the PK and the second goal. Magnificent free-kick (though I wonder if Steffan might have gotten it).

Sometimes the other guy is good.

But boy was that comeback fun!

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  10. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Btw, a follow up to what I mentioned at halftime, about getting bogged down on one side of the pitch, missing Wil and Pedro, plus Ggg's comments.

You should see Argudo's passing map after he came on. It's nearly all medium-to-long range and horizontal. He really helped open things up for us. He reminds me a lot of Saied except he's right footed. Helps you keep the ball really well, doesn't really have a natural position. Probably trains better than everyone is my guess so that's how he always ends up in the team even though you're like, "Who? Why?"

Anyway, Sosa coming on is, I think, what gave me hope we might actually pull it off. No better situation to come into for your debut, really. Pressure's off, son, game's already over, go out there and give them hell. Won 6/7 duels and drew at least 2 yellows. Wasn't perfect, but a very promising first glimpse nonetheless.

TrueCrew, Tobias C and Draghignazzo repped this.
  11. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Yes, I don't have it handy but he was basically like, "F*** this town, move them already." Then he gave zero credit to our excellent performance up there in the season opener. Seeing him struggle so badly tonight was a real treat.

porchlight and TKyle repped this.
  12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The best part of this turned out to be that it's all kids holding this TIFO. OMFG!

@shoplifter isn't one of those yours?
    [​IMG]

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, that is a RIOT!!
    And that’s without even knowing the whole story about MB’s comment!
    It just needs a little cloud of one of them farting on the other!

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was on 17th, between 4th and the tracks. There were maybe 6-7 police vehicles on site.

Inebriatti...this is the second time I've heard this group mentioned tonight in regards to issues.

nfitz and Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a tie.

Classy moment of silence.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Should have known you'd be in the know, Peter.
    Also, I didn't notice the link to the article when I first saw and posted that tweet. I'd like to know who were injured.

17. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That was a great, hard fought tie. The Zardes hype train keeps chugging along. Crognale had a good game, Abubakar got nutmegged twice by Giovinco on passes leading to goals . That ref didn't seem to like Artur, both the yellow and PK were pretty marginal calls. Bradley's PK foul was just dumb, he seems to have lost it and isn't a good CB to begin with. I liked the 3 simultaneous subs when the game seemed lost.

Steffen will probably start for the US next Saturday but when he returns I look forward to the shutouts resuming. Let's give the F*re some payback in the Cup this week.

TKyle and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  19. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember all three substitutions being made at one time by the Crew ever before. Can anyone?

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  20. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley looks like he doesn't belong in a good beer league. Something inside him must have died.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What a crazy ass game.

In one sense it's two points dropped at home. We are now 4th in the East on ppg, and were leapfrogged in the standings by NYCFC tonight.

In another sense it could be almost season defining for this team, to have a comeback like that. They have reason to believe they are not out of any game, that they can beat any team in this league, at any time. Teams always say that, they always say they believe it, but how many have a comeback like this as a reference point?

Even more, what does this do to a team like Toronto? I wouldn't completely count them out of the playoffs like KC Bus. Not yet. They are only 8 points behind a very average Orlando with a game in hand. But add this to the ongoing list of monstrosities they have faced this season. Last year no matter what, they had a belief they were gonna win. They could come into Columbus in the conference semis without their two best players and still have confidence everything was gonna be fine. That aura is definitely gone this year, and we contributed to it in the season opener, and may have put a nail in it tonight. The East is wide open.

Credit to Gregg for the subs. All made a difference. Credit to the team for not giving up. The fans who weren't turned away at the gates for cheering the boys on. The fans turned away at the gates for the t-shirt, and for being right. Glory to ********in Columbus.

As an aside, has anyone heard from that shitbag Kurt Larson?

CrewV Man, SLSHOT01 and BringBackGino repped this.
  22. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Santos, No Trapp, No Mensah, No Steffen, No Martinez...Those are 5 starters (Although not having Martinez out there isn’t necessarily a bad thing). I dont care who they were missing. Sure you always want 3 at home, BUT all things considered this was best result we could manage IMHO.
    Plus we take the fake cup!

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #123 Ch(Elsey), Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    This game has put me in such a good mood this morning that I have consequently posted and then deleted not one but two snarky responses to hang’s posts. Hooray for Goals!

Big J 0526 repped this.
  24. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is to hoping the mood continues all day and night. with iggy out again and klay not at 100%, maybe cavs can steal this game.

TrueCrew and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  25. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Canadian win.

The 3 subs by GB really helped control the ball movement from the defense to the midfield and beyond. Until that point TFC were simply sitting there waiting in tight with a slight overload on their left side for the Crew to make a mistake then fast counter. The better ball control also helped exploit Bradley while he was playing CB. By the time TFC realized and adjusted him the Crew were smelling blood and dominated the rest of the match.

Even though it is a fake cup, it was great to see the team take the pictures as a group and celebrate in front of the supporters with it.

SLSHOT01 and Draghignazzo repped this.