Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I have seen at least 5 cars with 1904 stickers (I know small sample size but still better than nothing) and I would imagine that 3K in a 7K stadium would feel much better than 3K in 65K stadium.

athletics68 repped this.
  2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70k but whose counting. I only point it out because you’re absolutely right. They have no business at Qualcomm. State and its 23k crowd get swallowed by that place.

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need new sports infrastructure, period. Be cool if we had a sports and entertainment district where all pro facilities are.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. I mean arena downtown near Petco would be great. Soccer stadium, maybe. Football stadium, no.

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope is that a new Sports Arena gets fit into Mission Valley.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not under consideration currently. The two very preliminary proposals are near Petco and the current arena site.

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah....which sucks. One can dream :D

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly with how densely populated Mission Valley is slated to become under the city’s long term plan, I’d rather they not shoehorn the arena in there. Better to put a complex with the only stadium standing now we expect will be here long term at Petco. And where the infrastructure to get people in and out exists already.

9. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    And I can't imagine a brand new arena fitting in the current Sports Arena spot.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean new arenas are being placed in much smaller spots. San Francisco’s comes to mind. Plus the Ducks just got the lease to the old arena so who knows.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would work in Mission Valley as they do plan to expand the public transport options there, moreso than downtown.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1537 athletics68, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Unfortunately, or not, that ship has sailed. State’s plan for MV doesn’t include an arena for obvious reasons (thy don’t need it with Viejas on the Mesa).

Which is part of why the all infrastructure thing will never work. The baseball park is downtown (where it should be). The basketball arena is on the mesa where it should be. And state is going to put their football/potential soccer stadium in MV, where it should be. The only real floater left is the future Sports Arena replacement for Gulls/Seals/potential NBA team. And the only real spot to creat any synergy with existing venues is downtown in the East Village.

13. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree to disagree. If they wanted to they could fit a Sports Arena into the MV site (would make more money than housing IMO). They just need to find someone interested in throwing money at them. The way they are building out MV is via phases so there is still time to include it (assuming of course it can pass the required environmental checks)

I am not saying it couldn't work in East Village but I think East Village is more effort (the only place left is the bus depot).

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is state’s incentive to do that however. It would be a competing venue to their own arena.

15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wouldn't happen in a vacuum. My thought would be that it would take someone who wants to update their venue (i.e. the Seals owner). He would have to make a deal with the current owners of the Arena and find investors for the new arena as well. Its a win win for everyone though (the arena could be made into housing).

Not sure what you mean by what is the states incentive as they don't own the Sports Arena (and Aztec Arena is only used for limited number of events vice the Sports Arena which can serve alcohol)

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1541 athletics68, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Well the entire Qualcomm site will shortly belong to SDSU. They own Viejas Arena (which hosts a ton of events and serves alcohol). An arena in MV would compete with Viejas so SDSU has no incentive to have it built.

As for the Seals owner (also NBA Nets owner), he reportedly owns a chunk of land in East Village and has been exploring building an arena there in concert with the Gulls (Ducks owners) and Padres. Ducks owners also have the old Sports Arena lease now and are simultaneously exploring options for that site including a new arena as part of a much larger planned redevelopment. I mean wheels are turning, but none point to MV as home to anything but the new football stadium which might double as an MLS venue.

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't exactly true. The incentive is to get more money by selling/leasing the land to whomever would build it. Plus it wouldn't compete with Viejas as they don't sell alcohol for most school events and it can't host a NCAA game past the first round (its too small).

I did not know about him owning a bunch of land in east village....but still most of that land probably isn't big enough to build an arena. still think it could happen but its a long shot.

Either way I hope one gets built (and not in current location).

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What events don’t serve alcohol at Viejas Arena that you’ve been to? SDSU basketball and the concerts I’ve attended there are all wet events.

As for SDSU leasing the land it’s always possible, but isn’t in their master plan for the site currently, nor was it in the plan that was approved by voters.

And I believe 80 acres (what Joseph Thai owns in East Village) would be more than enough for an arena.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games I have been to were dry but I haven't been to a game in about 4 years.

Yup. Its a long shot.

But is it contiguous?

20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe USL San Diego has explored moving to the new Aztec Stadium when it is completed. Of coarse this could be a part of the future for USL San Diego club to follow the Sacramento model into MLS.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah not dry anymore. Not sure if contiguous, but the implication from the press is that it’s situated to host an arena.

mike4066 repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’ve had some preliminary discussions with SDSU about moving to New Aztecs Stadium long term. Should that happen it wouldn’t be a stretch to think USL SD would maybe make a pass at MLS given Smith’s background and Garber’s long time desire to get a team into this market. But for now I’m just happy we’re getting a USL-C team in a nice venue at USD.

mike4066 and Element 7ero repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Element 7ero and mike4066 repped this.
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    They cut out the real estate guys.

mike4066 and SteveUSSF_ref8 repped this.