Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Everything is finite. Including the expansion process. If Measure E goes down, two other markets will be selected. When is MLS going to add more teams? That's why I don't think another investor group is just going to magically appear at the MLS level any time soon.

The FS group is run by Garber's best friend's brother. Yes SD has all the demographics and intangibles to make it a great market, but there's more to MLS ownership then market alone.

CoronaOrange repped this.
  2. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to forget that there are rumblings that Precourt gets an Austin MLS expansion team (outside the current process/bids) and the Crew stay in Columbus under new ownership.

Different MLS figures have repeatedly stated, that the goal is 28 teams and after that they are going to take a break from expansion.

San Diego has a rare window of opportunity and even if the MLS market rights to San Diego would revert from FS to somebody else that window is closing and maybe sooner than a new project could be green lit which is a shame.

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are way more bullish on MLS getting to 28 teams than I am. I don't think anyone is ready to leapfrog us at this point.

4. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I may be more bullish, but regardless I see absolutely no logic/reason/sense in stepping out of the way to open the door for anyone. St Louis just came back from the dead this week. The Tampa Bay Rays just bought the Rowdies. Things change and even if there's no one today who anyone sees, that doesn't mean that someone can't emerge in the event San Diego shits the bed.

What other ownership group in San Diego is going to put together as comprehensive a project as soccercity?

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want an MLS team and that's the priority then SoccerCity is the only option. Yes an SDSU stadium could host a MLS team but that's a lot of miles to cover.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone that partners with SDSUWest

7. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Haha if you think that's an option then I don't think you understand expansion at all. Also, if there's any particular owner you have in mind that you can realistically point to as being the white knight then I'd love to hear that/those name/s.

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is so laughable about the option?

I don't know about an owner group right now. My point being was that this is hypothetical and that if SoccerCity loses another would come in because SD is still considered a solid option.

9. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While SD overall (market, size, demographics, big ticket in town with the Padres etc.) still would be a solid option, the MLS expansion window of opportunity will very likely be over, no matter if there is a new ownership group and stadium (deal).

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that is true but YMMV.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then It’s over. SDSU West is polling above 50% last I checked (amazingly). And SoccerCity isn’t even close and is trending down.

Ass in that with Columbus being granted an expansion team for 2019, and Precourt taking the empty husk of Crew 1.0 to Austin, yet another expansion slot is unexpectedly gone. Leaving only 1 left for the foreseeable future.

12. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the disinformation is working. Partially it's MLS' fault, the main talking point people have is that SoccerCity can't "Guarantee" a soccer team. Which is true. My issue is those very same people are comfortable voting for G which has even fewer guarantees around what the land can be used for.

If MLS came out with a strong statement supporting SoccerCity then that would be a huge help. The fact that they aren't willing to is interesting.

13. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about this, for two reasons. The first is this round of expansion has not been nearly as smooth as expected. There are clearly issues with every bid, otherwise they would have already been awarded, and as we've seen with St. Louis you can jump from the back of the line to the front pretty quickly.

The second reason is MLS is not stopping at 28 if a good situation presents itself. And San Diego will remain a viable market, even as the bar raises. We aren't Rochester or Richmond

Honestly not sure though if Measure G passing is good or bad for MLS SD. On one hand it will give us a stadium much more viable for MLS than the Q, but unless the MLS owners help build the stadium they will be tenants, which has generally been a no-no.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real hope is that the SoccerCity guys swallow their pride if G passes, which as of now seems likely, and offer to pay some of the cost of the SDSU West stadium in exchange for a cut of the profits. Otherwise they’re back to square 1 and need to find a new location for their land deal/stadium plan.

15. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Teeeeeeeeechnically there's always the *hope* that soccercity passes by itself outright. Plan B would be what you just outlined.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean technically E isn’t dead until it’s dead, but it would require a 25%+ reversal in 3 weeks (and corresponding drop to G) and pretty much every endorsement changing sides (as G has the backing of government, labor, the Democratic Party (GOP is neutral on both), and several influential third parties like the San Diego Stadium Coalition.)

Threeke repped this.
  17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Radio interview with JD Wicker who is the AD of SDSU

I advanced it to where he talks about the possibility of working with MLS if SDSU West wins. Its a short 1 minute or so blurb

athletics68 repped this.
  18. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I honestly don’t put too much stock in polling data. Stats can be packaged to say whatever you want them to say. And I definitely dgaf about endorsements. I’ve talked to too many people on boards or are members of group who have endorsed G who are individually in favor of E to put any weight behind those types of things.

Homie from the stadium coalition was on the TKF United pod today. I don’t think he came away with any influence intact.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...podomatic.com/entry/2018-10-17T20_46_14-07_00

My question for you is what are YOU voting for?

19. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I honestly don’t put too much stock in polling data. Stats can be packaged to say whatever you want them to say. And I definitely dgaf about endorsements. I’ve talked to too many people on boards or are members of group who have endorsed G who are individually in favor of E to put any weight behind those types of things.

Homie from the stadium coalition was on the TKF United pod today. I don’t think he came away with any influence intact.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...podomatic.com/entry/2018-10-17T20_46_14-07_00

My question for you is what are YOU voting for?

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G all the way now, though I was initially on board with SoccerCity. Don’t trust FSI and have never trusted Baby Judas. And that trust has lessened as time has gone on.

As for packaging the polling, I’d buy that if it were a biased source, not a neutral 3rd Party.

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea not to mention the UT actually came out with their endorsement and its a NO to both LOL

As for me I'd vote for SDSU West if they let me but I am Chula Vista resident so no beans for me

athletics68 repped this.
  22. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mike4066 repped this.
  24. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Everyone has some kind of bias. Its a question as to whether or not a person's bias is relevant to whatever topic is being discussed. I think being on the city council is relevant, particularly since the site in question is in his district, but that's just me...

CoronaOrange repped this.
  25. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Faulconer was a FSI proponent but if you notice he has backed away from being a vocal supporter.

Same with Altman, he is actually on the FSI team and he is officially neutral now.