Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you underestimate SDSUs urgency as well. They don’t pass this year the football team is homeless come 2020.

2. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    That seems to be what the SDSU West folks want the narrative to be publicly, but FS allows for SDSU football to play at the shared stadium, and gives SDSU the 32 acres the school says it needs for campus space etc etc. I think the acreage will cost SDSU more than the uni would like to pay, but its not as if its eliminated if SoccerCity wins...

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Padres ownership has stated that they would be willing to let them play at Petco if needed but only for a few years.

The big difference in the plans is the density of the SoccerCity proposal. SDSU gets a tad more than the 32 acres as most of the housing will be meant for students exclusively vice public housing. Also, the SoccerCity proposal includes Murphy Canyon which SDSU West doesn't.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the Padres only offered 1 year. After that SDSU is up shit creek...

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that was in the papers but Fowler was interviewed on the radio and said he wouldn't allow the Aztecs to be homeless. When he was pressed, he said it was only viable for a few years but it could be done.

I want to say it was on 1090 last year.

6. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerCity is having a "Relaunch" party on June 6th. So expect to see Landon Donovan back on your TV's in the near future.

CoronaOrange and mike4066 repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they ran into complications proving their finances and they couldn’t get a local investor to buy in at the required 20% ownership USL requires.

Given they’re shedding staff it doesn’t look good. However USL seems to think the market’s future is bright in their league. Wonder if they’re working with someone else now that the exclusive right to negotiate 1904 had has expired.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  9. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always felt a little weird about that team being 45 miles away, and in a "pop-up" stadium. But now I'm a bit frustrated that it's now so quiet in San Diego.

I guess there's still "ASC San Diego" and "Zest".

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL there is literally nothing going for pro right. Even Albion has gone silent.

11. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?! I felt a little weird about that "ASC" rebrand, but I wonder what happened to them.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re still around. And supposedly still working to join a full pro league.

13. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016

ASC just clinched the Division title this past weekend. They do well at the NPSL level. If they can get their own facilities they may one day be something, but its hard to see them really breaking through in their current state.

Nacional Tijuana and athletics68 repped this.
  14. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the opponent been determined yet, or are we still waiting for the finish of the division? I just might be able to make it that day.

15. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure everyone else has seen the same numbers I have, San Diego consistently in the top 10 in ratings for the World Cup. This isn't new and we are usually in the top 10 but nice to see that as interest grows Nationwide San Diego continues to keep up.

Also heard anecdotally that people were lining up in front of Shakespeare's pub in Mission Hills at 3am Saturday morning.

CoronaOrange repped this.
  16. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is good. It's a bummer to see the nationwide numbers tank, just because there's no USA. To me, it's been the most entertaining WC I've seen.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won’t help us though. Neither stadium plan is going to pass.

18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Shakespeare's Pub but unfortunately the last game I watched there was our failure in Trinidad.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This works in favor of SDSU though. They can outlast SoccerCity and hopefully the MLS rights become free again.

20. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego leads the way highest rated market for the W.C. final.

mike4066 repped this.
  21. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're going to get stuck with a worthless parking lot and a white elephant of a stadium all because a bunch of rich AHOLES can't put aside their egos and petty feuds.

SDSU needs a new stadium MLS needs a stadium sort it out! AHHHH. This is the type of thing that makes me think Spanos was right, and then I remember he never even tried to put a proposal forward so he is still a doucheweasal.

23. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I saw the first Anti-Soccer city add run today. One of the big selling points is the plan does not gurantee an MLS team. If MLS is as excited about the project now as they were at the start, with Garber calling the Mayor and coming to the bid announcement, they could announce the franchise before the vote as long as it is approved. This would eliminate the biggest attack instantly.

Of course this assumes San Diego is where we hope it is on the pecking order.

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that the a deal should have been done but in the VoD article its really apparent that SoccerCity wasn't dealing from a place of good faith.

SDSU needs room to expand as it will drive economic development in the city (especially in a part that isn't currently "booming" from a jobs standpoint).

My hope is that SDSUWest wins in November and then either SoccerCity comes back to the table or they give up and MLS opens San Diego other investors.