Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he says in public and what he says in private are totally different. He has said at some Aztec functions that he would be open to them playing beyond 2019 but not as a permanent home.

2. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its seems that MLS will not wait for the San Diego vote in 2018. With so many groups bidding for expansion spots, they are just going to sit back and see who rises to the top. Right now it looks like Sacramento and Cincinnati to be announced this fall. Then followed by San Antonio and Nashville or Tampa Bay in the spring of 2018.

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree to disagree. Teams 25 & 26 are going to be easy but I think 27 & 28 are going to be harder to fill.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you. Think the 1 year only thing was to put pressure on them to join the Soccer City development. Guessing they would let SDSU play at Petco if it was required but I think SDSU will need to have shovels in the ground by the end of 2019 for the Padres to allow them to stay for 2020.

mike4066 repped this.
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Even if privately stating he'd give them another year, that's still only 2020. We're coming up on the 2017 season now. 3 1/2 years is a tight schedule to have to meet when they're not even at the "we've got a site picked out" phase. Never mind having to find funding, CEQA/Initiative process, construction, etc... Remember Soccer city would have only been ready for 2020 IF it had passed this fall, and it had been in process since early 2016. SDSU starting now is over a year behind that project (if not longer due to MV being tied up with Soccer City's 2018 vote).

mike4066 repped this.
  7. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the F**K?

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Council member Alvarez is the gentleman who publically requested in a memorandum that Myrtle Cole set a meeting agenda to discuss whether the MV land can be considered surplus and sold to SDSU. Then somebody in city council apparently leaked a document containing information on how Alvarez memorandum was illegal or, I guess how it is vulnerable to litigation. Then Alvarez cried on twitter about it.

Threeke repped this.
  10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    CoronaOrange repped this.
  11. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Alvarez also lost a mayoral race to Faulconer back in the day and since then has more or less been opposed to everything the mayor supports. Seems like a pretty transparent little candyass imo.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

So somebody leaked a report from the city attorney to FSI, this compromising the city's position in lease negotiations. The city attorney is calling for that person to resign.

13. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Definitely high drama at this point. I've seen some speculation as to whether it is illegal to leak a memo like this one, and if so what is the severity of the crime:

The full leaked memo is here:

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... this is going to end well for our chances at getting an MLS team via FS Investors. Legality aside, the PR disaster this creates making the whole project look underhanded and backroom is going to kill any chance it had left in 2018. Guess we're minor league or bust for the foreseeable future.

[​IMG]

mike4066 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  15. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, the whole political stuff (from the SD city council, the Manchester guy and SDSU) is just getting more pathetic with every day.

Despite all that, until MLS announces Team 28, SD has an outside shot left at this point, even if it's slim.

mike4066 repped this.
  16. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst part of this mess, it makes Spanos look justified in leaving. When he's just as much of a tool as he ever was and is as much to blame for the Chargers as he always was. Never fails that SD City Hall will find a way to cock it up if they can.

mike4066 repped this.
  18. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerInsider (Steven Goff) with LD on SoccerCitySD and other things

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well wasn't that just an uplifting read. Basically, we're screwed but we're praying other cities screw up more.

As I said above, I welcome our new NASL overlords. It sure looks like they're going to be the only game in town for the foreseeable future (as long as their fly by night league doesn't implode).

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love it if they were the ones (in part, at least) to eventually get our city into MLS, but I don't think that's their future intent. :(

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    It was their initial intent, so I wouldn't throw a blanket over that idea.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, they've said as much. Though they were turned away at the time due to ex-Padres owner and developer extraordinaire John Moores already having the exclusive rights (the same rights that later ended up in FS Investors hands). If FS falls away once their "land grab" fails, then maybe the NASL group will get another shot. I mean like us they only settled on NASL because MLS and USL turned them down due to the MLS bid. No MLS bid, one less reason to be turned down. And if they can build a successful NASL operation in the interim (ala Sac or Cincy)... so much the better.

23. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. That's good to hear. Have other things going on, so I'm not as great as I wish I were following all this. I do wish these folks well, though I'm a bit miffed they'll be in NC beyond year one..

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FSI doesn't get a team and for some reason MLS is still accepting applications then I think Moores gets the MLS rights again and gets a deal done quickly.

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well. At this point I am like F*** San Diego city proper. F*** FSI for not compromising with the unions...

I like North County. I can drive to Caliente or Carson or LA.

I like Oceanside, give us a team.