Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think we may have found a potential investor!!! According to @starnewsrobert as of 3/6....
    • "I've been speaking with Jeff Phair. He said he has an idea that could bring the Chargers to South County. He proposes a dual-use stadium."
    • "Stadium will be located by Main Street and Palm Ave., by Interstate 5. He says he and a team of investors will put out $250 mill for it."
    • "With other funding coming from a Joint Powers Agreement."
    • "Phair proposes a dual use stadium that will include the Chargers and a San Diego MLS team."
    • "Phair said proposed dual sports stadium includes 70,000 to 80,000 seats."
    • "The proposed stadium could sit on 100-acres, Phair said."
    • "Phair said a team of investors have spoken to MLS about possibly bringing a team to South County. He hasn't spoken to NFL about stadium."
    This news sounds pretty legit. Apparently he is a big real estate player in SD County.
    http://www.thestarnews.com/sports/bonita-couple-honored-with-community-service-award/

Stogey23 repped this.
  2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Believe it when I hear more, but any news is good news at this point!

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like one of the half dozen or more ideas for a Chargers stadium being flug like mud at a wall to see what sticks. Half of them have included an MLS team as a potential selling point but not much else.

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh sounds like "we'll chuck in a possible MLS team to add dates to the calendar and make the numbers look better". Also concerned that it is so late in the process. The mayors commission has said they are going to report back in 90 days. Unless this thing is shovel ready now (which I doubt) not sure the commission will even look at new ideas due to the lack of time.

Having said all that if the Chargers leave why not put a SSS on that site? If he is willing to commit 250 million bucks to a charger Stadium why not?

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a bad idea. If the Bolts leave, SDSU is going to pursue their own 30,000 or so seat stadium either at Qualcomm or on campus. Either way it would make a heck of an MLS venue on size alone. I'm starting to wonder if the Bolts leaving wouldn't be better for MLS' potential future in San Diego then if they stayed.

6. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #6 marford21, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    I think it's equal at this point, it's pretty obvious by now that a big money group/individual is talking to MLS about expansion in San Diego County. That is the good news here...... a stadium in South CV or IB? Not so much. Even a SSS would be iffy there. But if that's our best shot, then lets go Phair!

I believe now more than ever that MLS will be in SD at some point, the Chargers situation is finally gonna be sorted out. Whether it's Downtown or Mission Valley, MLS can tag along. If Chargers leave, MLS can tag along with SDSU.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See that's where I don't agree yet. We've seen nothing but the usual "MLS team should be included" statements that accompany the Chargers stadium search. They don't mean squat as talk is, as always, cheap.

8. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh wanted 30% of any team that moved there and I think wanted first crack at buying the rest if the present owner wanted to sell. That's why Spanos never went for it.

I am completely split on this. On one hand we could do an Atlanta where the new stadium is specifically designed to become a 30-40,000 seat arena. I actually think that could work. Was really impressed with how Qualcom felt for the US friendly in July. 25,000 actually made a decent atmosphere in there. But the question is would MLS go for it? My guess is no.

So assuming MLS will only grant a franchise if we get a SSS then the best bet is to lose the Chargers. Because no way this city builds a stadium for the chargers AND MLS.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed that during soccer matches too. Might be because of Qualcomm's oversized first deck with the two upper levels being set pretty far back. That said MLS would require either a new SSS or Soccer-friendly NFL stadium for a team to be granted. Beyond needing the obvious owner/investor of course. But I don't think one or the other would dissuade the league, as it didn't in Seattle, Vancouver or Atlanta.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is the link to the article for the quotes from 3/6:

http://www.thestarnews.com/latest-news/phair-deal-for-the-chargers/

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His interest at the end of possibly building a soccer stadium when the Chargers reject him (which they will since they won't even consider him), is interesting. But otherwise he seems pretty much like a guy coming out of left field flailing wildly. I mean he talks about a 70-80,000 seat football stadium when that is far bigger than anyone who is realistic is suggesting or that the region can support.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm from the East...but you really don't think the Chargers could fill 70,000 seats?

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    They don't now.

16. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualcom's number for lifting the blackout is around 63,000 and we didn't have a blacked out game last season, so we do fill a 60,000+ I think the Max capacity is around 70,000. My understanding is any new stadium would be in the 70,000 seat range if for no other reason than to make sure the NFL uses it for Superbowls.

The issue with the new idea isn't the size of the stadium it's the timing of it. The stadium task force HAS to come up with an idea and a financing plan before summer. Whether there plan are acceptable to the voters and/or the Chargers is a different issue but they need something if for no other reason than to force the Chargers to commit. They don't have time to look at brand new ideas, not now. The only way a brand new idea has a chance is if you get the Chargers on board and committed to it first, then go to the city.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. They have 70,000 now and they can't fill it. The ideal for them would be low 60's at most which is what the serious groups are proposing both downtown and in Mission Valley with temporary expansion capabilities to over 70k for superbowls. But regular size would be in the 60's. They've had attendance issues ever since they expanded Qualcomm up to 70k with blackouts far too often.

Also I believe owian is mistaken about the blackout policies. 63,000 isn't the threshold, it's just how many seats are non-club/suite which is the NFL's actual blackout bar.

18. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The capacity of Qualcom is over 70,000. I think the non club level is around the low 60,000. I did a quick google search and couldn't find the exact number to lift the blackout, but just visually from being at Charger games it looks like the club section is about 15% of the total capacity, so I would estimate that its around 60-63000 to lift the blackout. And remember the Chargers haven't lowered it to 85% like other teams. They still require 100% of non club seats sold.

And while the Chargers get a lot of flack for blackouts they haven't had one since 2013 (and that was only 1). My understanding is they are looking to build a stadium in the 70,000 seat territory which would be similar in size to the current one. I think they would fill the new one to the same level as the current one. When the team is good it's full, when they are bad or hire Norv Turner back, we are in danger of blackouts, while not actually having many.

But for the record I think it's a done deal that they are headed to LA. Just don't see how a deal can be done rapidly enough here to convince them to stop their project in LA.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I also think they're gone. And while it will suck for Chargers fans it may end up being an opportunity for MLS since SDSU will be building a new stadium that is at the upper end of the SSS range.

20. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they want to go where the money is at, i don't blame them. They want serious public money, basically a hand out, and in this political climate I don't see that selling.
    Is there any studies on the impact of losing the chargers? I saw a couple of news stations & articles state that having a major NFL team has very little impact unlike other sports like baseball.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't surprise me. Baseball is a fairly balanced sport with both TV and stadium revnues being keys to its success. And operating 81 days out of the year minimum allows them to integrate more fully into their cities (particularly in the downtown renaissance era they're in). Football doesn't play often enough to have that kind of impact. And it's largely a TV league.

22. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a massive Charger fan, grew up with the team and get a little teary eyed when I think of them leaving. I have been going to Charger games for 30+ years, went to my first game when I was 6 years old with my father and Grandfather. So it is genuinely emotional for me to think I won't have them.

But even I'm not willing to give them a handout. Help with a stadium, sure. Paying for 60-70% of said stadium, but letting the Chargers keep the revenue (the deal they want) ummm yeh no thanks.

From what I have read there is a lot of voodoo economics when it comes to the true economic impact of stadiums. Giving a lot credit for economic growth to the stadium when it's not entirely clear if they are actually related.

Agree that the Chargers leaving helps the chances for an MLS team, but my concern is SDSU may choose to dump the football program altogether rather than build their own stadium. We'll see, I suspect come may/June the Chargers are going to have to show their hand and overtly choose San Diego or Carson as the one to push ahead with.

Samora repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's already state senators proposing that the Qualcomm site be immediately transferred to SDSU on the Chargers departure. So it would really come down to whether the school does want to keep football. And I think they do. They wouldn't have wasted the last decade trying to build the program up into a respectable mid level program that it is today if they wanted to them go and cut it. Yes the basketball team is their marquee sports product, but the football team, like most football teams, is still their cash cow.

And if I'm honest the part of me that likes soccer and the Padres is kind of indifferent to the Bolts bolting. It'll mean more money available to help with getting a soccer team now. And more available for helping to keep the Padres in town long term (because lets face it they'll be coming for upgrades to Petco in 10-20 years too). And I see far brighter futures for those two sports than I do football given its growing player health crisis.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential Chargers stadium was unveiled by the Citizens Stadium Advisory group today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wouldn't be a bad soccer stadium design wise... Capacity is around 64,000 if built to their recommended specification.

Samora repped this.
  25. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any news on how it will be funded?