PBP: Game week 1 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Mar 23, 2018.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It can be interesting to note that in Nadeshiko Japan coach Takakura has played Utsugi as a Left-Back quite consistently these days (at last Algarve Cup for instance). Actually, she was freely switched between LB position and DM based on different matches and line-ups. :coffee: One of Utsugi's strong points is versatily and I guess, after AFC Asian Cup (along with Naho, she's going to leave today), this will be a very valuable asset for Seattle.

Yes, in Reign thread it has been mentioned that Yanez herself was strongly selling the point that she can play very well as a CAM and, not much surprisingly, she gets that position in the first match of the season. Despite being seen by many as mostly a sub in this team, I guess Bev will get a lot of playing time, especially now that Seattle will miss most of their internationals for about a month to AFC Asian Cup.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My mistake. I guess I was confused by her not being listed in the injury report.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Unfortunately I could not watch the game as Lifetime has decided that NWSL will not be available on their site unless u have a qualifying cable provider so they could have mentioned it every 15 seconds.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok. I was lucky that NWSL matches are available through the website for free for us in Europe.

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The Lifetime games are posted on the NWSL website ~2 days after they air. But yeah it's frustrating to wait.

MiLLeNNiuM and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I can imagine. Not sure why people outside USA like me are treated so well (probably both for promotional reasons and because it would be difficult for American people who are living here in Europe to get the games live otherwise), but I just finished rewatching the Seattle-Washington game, that I had missed live (it started at 3:00 am here in Europe) and was available right away for me on NWSL website.

7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park, "That is one big pile of s___."

I would say more but adding any "further information" on my opinion would guarantee me a BigSoccer yellow card, and that yellow card would probably well-deserved.

blissett repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If it was a team I closely follow, I would have used a VPN but I have monthly data limitations so I only use it when I have to.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just another stone in my shoe. I recently switched to Youtubetv which solved my ESPN/FS1 problems but I lost Lifetime in the process.

10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #85 FawcettFan14, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Can someone clarify the handball rule? I have been watching soccer for 20 years and this still confuses me.

Is the criteria for ruling a handball:
    1) The arms are in an "unnatural" position, i.e. one that makes the body bigger, not down at the sides
    2) The contact was "intentional"

I have heard commentators describe the rule both ways. Is it just one of these conditions, one or the other, or both?

In the case of Sauerbrunn, that play happened so fast, I can't entirely blame the referees for calling a handball. On repeated YouTube viewings, in slow motion, it is still difficult to tell if the ball hit her arm or face. The most likely answer is it grazed her arm on route to her face. But the yellow card is absurd. It is ridiculous to say there was "deliberate handling." How is Sauerbrunn supposed to react in a fraction of a second? And, replay shows Weatherholt's shot was going well wide before the deflection, meaning there was no denial of goalscoring opportunity, or as Chesky puts it, "stopping of promising attack." The ball was heading out of bounds for a goal kick. As for "unsporting behavior", who the hell knows what that means. For protesting a controversial call?

In summary, the handball call is controversial. Did it hit her arm? Maybe. Was the contact intentional? No. Did the contact stop Orlando from scoring a goal? No. Were the arms in an unnatural position? I guess so. It sort of looks like a natural running motion, but she raises them slightly at the very end, probably a natural instinct to protect her face. Are the referee's comments on that inquiry form ridiculous, given the benefit of post-game replays? Yes.

blissett repped this.
  11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I trialed YouTubeTV during the Olympics. It works well. Another non-cable/satellite option is SlingTV. If you buy the basic $20 package, you get the ESPN family, and Lifetime. Unfortunately to get both the ESPNs and FS1/2, you need the most expensive package, $40. But if watching NWSL is your goal, the basic one suffices.

12. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    When I was a referee a few years ago they always told us to ask the following question: "Did the hand play the ball, or did the ball play the hand?"

Directly from FIFA's Laws of the Game:
    Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

IMO, even if the ball did hit Sauerbrunn's hand it shouldn't have been a handball because she was protecting her face and had no time to react.

Semblance17, FawcettFan14 and blissett repped this.
  13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bummer.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've looked at the video a couple of times and don't see a handball call. But, if she deliberately raised her arms to protect her face and the ball then hit her arms, I think that has to be a handball. It actually looked to me like a direct shot to the face, no hands or arms involved no matter where they were. But, I can see the ref and AR thinking differently. The yellow card, according to the ref's statement, was for a deliberate handball (not for anything Sauerbruun said) -- apparently based on a conclusion the arms went up on purpose to block the shot. If that's what the ref thinks she saw, there's nothing wrong with a yellow card. So, to me the issues are (1) whether the ball did or didn't hit her arm or hand (I think it didn't) and (2) if it did, whether her arm or hand hitting the ball was deliberate, even if it was deliberate only to protect her face (possible).

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What I like most about Youtubetv is the cloud dvr. I work odd hours. It also bridged the espn/foxsports chasm...most services supporting one or the other. Youtubetv had all the sports channels I care about. Unfortunately they don't have the A&E channels. I tried Sling and liked it as well but their dvr option was still coming soon. I would also need to buy both their packages to get the complete sports channels.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It is what is is. As I told Blissett, if it had been a Houston or Orlando match I would have used a VPN but I have a monthly limit so I have to pick & choose.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My take on these things is this. I thought it was a handball live (tho I don't agree with the rule) so regardless what the replays determined it to be it's not fair for me to blame the ref for having the same opinion. As I said, the the laws regarding hand ball could use a lot of improvement.

18. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #93 Semblance17, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    I've quoted my earlier post both to add the word in red that my slipshod proofreading allowed me to omit [it was bothering me] and to remind myself of the risk of not tempering my remarks.

I'll say this much: I believe that for a ref to call a handball against a defender in the box he or she had better be d___ sure that a handball was actually committed. Arguably, an erroneous handball call of a non-handball in this situation can unfairly change the game a lot more than an erroneous non-call of a handball. I highly doubt that Chesky was ever so certain about what transpired in this play, but it seems she committed herself to her decision and doubled down on it with the yellow card.

Smallchief and blissett repped this.
  19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use a free VPN like Touchvpn or Privatix.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I use a VPN that I am very happy with.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Dash wearing all red? Is that one of their colors?

22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a dark orange. Sometimes the camera skews the colors. I remember in one game Sky Blue FC's special-edition hot pink jerseys looked bright red.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  23. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They definitely look solid red on my computer. Its 1-0 Dash in the 42nd minute.

24. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be the cameras, on their twitter feed I can see they are a very dark orange.

25. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the first half of the season is going to be rough for Chicago. Too many important players out for a while.

blissett repped this.