Game of Thrones (Season 8) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Mar 5, 2019.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I definitely don't hate the show - compared to say TWD which I always maintained was hot trash

I stopped watching after series 3 for the same reason i got stuck in book 3 - the plot was just far too drawn out for my taste

At the end of book 2 it seemed obvious to me that things never really resolved and simply morphed into the next series of problems

And in season 3 of the tv series, when the main battle against the wights happened off camera. I just started to feel a bit cheated by the whole thing - lost style.

But as far as I watched it - it was quality.

I still plan to finish book 3 some day. I've tried several times since 2013 but the trouble is you forget who everyone is ...

Belgian guy and sitruc repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why I first got re-interested in the show a month or so ago

the critiques were coming thick and fast - not just from rank and file - but from people like yourself who have a huge depth in film

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I know you seem to be taking any criticism of this show extremely personally, but haven't you noticed that many people who've loved this show from the beginning have acknowledged a downturn in quality? And I'm not talking here about people who are butthurt about how major plot points turned out, I mean people noticing that the show has been extremely rushed in the last couple seasons and that the general "feel" of the show has changed significantly since leaving the books behind. Sure some of these negative reviews are gonna be from the butthurt contingent, but a lot more are from people who are inclined to enjoy the show but can't help acknowledging the reality of the situation, that the show kinda went off the rails the last couple seasons.

Mojo Jambo, MiLLeNNiuM and Belgian guy repped this.
  4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The one takeaway I love is #breakthewheel

Dany broke the political establishment and Sam secures it with his “let the people” decide

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't taken the criticism personally, it's a tv show. I just found some of the criticism to be unfounded and have tried to counter it here. I do think some of the hate I've seen online (not just here but in general) has been overblown and people hate just to hate but that's fandom in general. I just find online ratings to be utterly useless because the most vocal opponents of something are usually found online, whether it's something I agree with or disagree with. The majority of people I know that watch GoT had no problems with the past couple seasons, there were a few that had the same reactions I've seen here, but most didn't. Then again it's just my experiences with people, so it could be totally different for other people.

It would seem that some people are taking the haters gonna hate comment a bit personally.

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not taking it personally, it just seemed defensive and not at all appropriate to the type of criticism taking place here. Now if we were saying "OMG how they kill Khaleesi and put weird cripple on throne, I so done with this show!" you'd have a point.

And I guess we move in different circles, based just on my Facebook feed the majority of people I know who watch the show are somewhere between disappointed and outraged about this final season.

7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TWD is one of those shows where you can stop watching for 2 seasons, come back and watch a few episodes and not have missed a thing. LOL!

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

LOL!

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    #460 HerthaBerwyn, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Yeah, Tyrian says their Holy Roman Empire style elected emperor thing is going to end the capriciousness of hereditary absolutism. Then, the Lord Elector of Casterly Rock tells the slave Grey Worm, "Thats the wheel she was trying to break".

Which is total bullshit. She was fighting for hereditary divine right absolutism. Its the only reason R+L=J was even a thing at all. She was going to go from place to place eliminating middle management. Jon said other people know what is good, meaning Sansa and other Lords. Dany said they dont get to choose. Thats when Jon stabbed her.

Their Electoral-succession plan, Devolving power to Highborn Lords is the opposite of the wheel she said she wanted to break. And unenlightened GreyWorn and even less woke Dothraki just shrugged it off.

The Unsullied should have killed every one of them.

Solidarity, Reg.

SixKick and Boandlkramer repped this.
  11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^^

THAT would have been epic

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So Grey Worm was going to go free the slaves on Missandei's home island, right? That's what that scene was about?

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    1130529632061710336 is not a valid tweet id

Mach1 and Father Ted repped this.
  14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah they don't have slaves on her home island, they were the place that other places raided to get slaves because they were so chill. I assumed he was going to pay respects or return her remains or something.

Dante, MiLLeNNiuM and Belgian guy repped this.
  15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    MiLLeNNiuM and Belgian guy repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This part I didn't really get either.

Throughout the show everyone has been so power hungry and bloodthirsty.

Seems odd that the Unsullied/Dothraki, having just won a huge victory, would accept their Queen being murdered and hand over power for no reason to some kid?

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this too, but without a clear cut leader, how would they retain their hold on Westeroast? They needed the Iron Queen to keep them all fighting together. I'd think they figured better to leave alive and go back to Essos than die in this foreign land. Though, leaving without getting their justice is just weird.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There was an army of Northmen outside the city. They all just fought two major wars. Would they really be interested in fighting a third without a unifying leader?

Dante repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't they see half their forces wiped out in a battle, (for NO gains), as well against the zombie king? Although they played a part at KL it's not like they were the ONLY group and, in that effort, let's be honest, they were all rather 2nd best to a big arse dragon they'd ALL just seen leg it.... well, 'flap it', I suppose but you know what I mean.

I can see them being a bit disgruntled but, without a leader, they're a bit of a rabble who are just as likely to start killing each other as the opposition... whoever THAT might be.

The 'grey wormists' are highly disciplined but if he, himself, wasn't able to grab and kill JS, (and I'm guessing he was found first by the northerners or gave himself up to them), and they'd have had to fight THROUGH the people they'd just been fighting alongside to try and grab him.

So, all in all, I can see it happening for purely logistical reasons of timing and availability.

Dante repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But wouldn't they at least want something?

The whole show has been about that political skulduggery

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you're saying that the elites are out of touch and are 'enemies of the people'? :eek:

:giggle:

I keeed, I keeed :)

Yeah, well, they got screwed, didn't they.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc and Father Ted repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006