Game of Thrones (Season 8) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LOL! If they wanted to do Lawrence of Arabia with Daenerys, that would have been great. But this wasn't it. The fact that they think it was is frankly hilarious.

Otherwise a very nice little interview with Emilia Clarke:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/t...-game-of-thrones-finale-emilia-clarke-beyonce

luftmensch and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    These guys got gassed IMO

Starting doing a 7 hour LOTR style epic and forgot they were making a fantasy style period drama

MiLLeNNiuM and Belgian guy repped this.
  3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering if Dan and Dave purposefully tanked this season (or, to put it better, didn't put their all into season 8)?

I have a wild suspicion that D&D were under contract with HBO for overseeing any spin-off series, and this was their way of getting out of future obligation, so they can pursue other interests.

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I really hope the backstory comes out

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The one spin-off series that is already in development isn't being run by them. So I'm not sure if that was the issue here.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm sure they've hard at work on Confederate.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Having seen the episode now, I thought it was pretty poor. In general this capped off a subpar season eight. Following on the heels of what was already a somewhat disappointing season seven.

Not that I regret having viewed this show in its entirety, it was just unfortunate that the last two seasons had to be the weakest by far.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is that thing still going to be made? Following the huge backlash as well as their Star Wars gig.

9. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    They said in a recent interview, that they inserted Arya into the situation so that the audience would care more. All in all they haven't done a good job but it feels a bit forced like so many things in the last 2 seasons. "We need to show how it is for the little guy now, so that people will hate Danny."

GRRM makes sure that you always have characters "on the ground" so we can experience first hand how it is for the little guys.

First you have the whole Court travel from Winterfell through a prosperous kingdom. Then in the early books you get Arya traveling through a war torn kingdom and in the later books you get Brienne searching for the Stark girls.
    A lot of readers have been complaining about the time GRRM spends with Briennes "boring" travels but it's there for a reason. It's a constant reminder for the reader, that it's not just the rise and fall of big houses we see but the fall of a whole kingdom.
    People are off at war not harvesting crops, bands of deserters and bandits roam the countryside taking whatever from whomever they want. Half of the kingdom is going to starve to death come winter. All is going to shit.

Once Arya goes off on her adventure in Braavos we almost completely loose that viewpoint in the show for almost 4 complete seasons. To bring it back last minute so the viewers wouldn't be mad at John for killing Danny just feels cheap.

Dannys transition from "liberator of the people" to unhinged tyrant also comes of as really forced.
    Uhh yeah she burns two lords who refuse to bend the knee. OMG SHE'S CRAZY!!!
    Seriously as far as cruelty in the seven kingdoms is concerned that's not even a blip on the radar. Tyrion acting all shocked with that is not convincing as well.
    I mean that guy burned ~5.000 people on the Blackwater and he isn't much remorsefull of that one. In fact he expects to get respect for it from his family and the whole city.

I'm not even mad that Danny goes all evil/crazy. But if that has been planned for seasons now you have to make it more convincing. Instead we blow the budget on huge (and largely bad) battles and special effects.

Oh well, all in all I'm satisfied with the series. If only GRRM could get the books done. :(

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #435 Naughtius Maximus, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    As I said elsewhere, I was reading the PBP in the grauniad, 'as the results came in' and it seemed to be going down pretty much the way I thought it would. The precise details weren't as expected but the fact they wanted to go for something unexpected was itself, almost expected... if you see what I mean :D

But overall, as you suggest, it's been enjoyable and, HOWEVER bad it might have been, (and it wasn't THAT bad, tbh), it wasn't bloody 'Lost' :mad:

Also, in passing, I should mention that Amelia Clarke did a pretty good job of portraying Daenerys so I'm not sure what the people complaining about her are talking about.

In fact ALL the actors did decent work in the show, some better than others, obviously.

Frankly it could be argued that the two 'leads' parts were slightly wooden because their characters were a bit that way.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In all honesty, DO the big battle stuff add anything to these sorts of shows? They're a spectacle, sure, but more time with characters and plot development would have added a hell of a lot more IMO.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I knew everything was burned down, but the opening of the finale did more for me to appreciate that everything and everyone was burnt
    than forcing Arya to somehow not be killed so we would have some perspective.

13. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but there are 3 other officially planned spin-offs by HBO.

I'm not justifying my suspicion, just saying that it's within the realm of possibilities.

It seems so improbable for the showrunners to produce such a horrible season 8 when all the other seasons had an IMDB ranking of 8 or better.

The only other reasons I can think of are:
    • the showrunners succumbed to hubris
    • the showrunners got tired and lazy by the end (left the show on autopilot)

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ismitje repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That final Small Council scene was more fan servicey stuff, with the small council now comprised of men and one woman who were all deemed unworthy of wielding (real) power:
    - Samwell Tarly, cast out by his own father for being too weakwilled
    - Davos Seaworth, a mere smuggler until Stannis Baratheon knighted him
    - Bronn of the Blackwater, a sellsword
    - Brienne of Tarth, a woman
    - Tyrion Lannister, the Imp, despised by his own father

That kind of stuff might be cute for the viewers but I'm not sure how it is at all consistent with the tone of the show in previous seasons.

luftmensch and sitruc repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think you have perfectly captured what I was trying to convey at the weekend.

In the kind of high quality world creation GOT was famous for, the story is lived out through the characters. The Sopranos is a show that is famous for this.

Increasingly in the final series, the GOT characters act in dumb ways, or (Tyrion) engage in long monologues of exposition because the plot needs it.

So this is where i 100% disagree with the twitter anorak brigade who want to justify how the characters behave because plot.

The actors have to be able to convince us with their performances.

luftmensch and Belgian guy repped this.
  17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, well since IMDB has poor ratings for it, that's it. It's not internet fandom doesn't suck and piles on the hate on things it doesn't like. I seem to remember Captain Marvel getting a lot of 1 stars from fans when they were wrong as well. Some of the theories I've read here are just as bad.

It's ok though, haters gonna hate.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I've defended the season so far because I actually enjoyed it. I did not enjoy the last episode. It felt too rushed for me and I'm not sure that I really liked what they did with some of the characters.

The Small Council stuff didn't really bother me since the victors decide who's in charge and those were the people that were left from the victorious side. The North becoming its own kingdom didn't bother me either since it always felt like it was something that would ultimately happen. I just wasn't all that taken by the finale.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #445 MiLLeNNiuM, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    I don't know how much you use IMDB, but it's a pretty good indicator of the quality (or watchability, if that's even a word) of a movie or TV show.

Please note that I posted average ratings not single user ratings; huge difference my friend.
    Captain Marvel has an average rating of 7.1 with 265,628 people voting.
    That's watchable and rewatchable, in my opinion.

For cinema, a rating of 8 or higher is must see.
    For TV shows, a rating of 9 or higher is must see.
    Anything under 5 is garbage, and anything under 4 is unwatchable.

Hate has nothing to do with it. I absolutely loved this show up through the end of season 7.
    Disappointment is the key word here.
    The last episode of GoT has now dropped from 5.2 to 4.4 with 151,671 people voting.

I'm trying to figure out why this show went from an average rating of 9.5 over all 8 seasons (with 1.5 million users voting) to the crap they put out this season? Only one episode (#2) got above a rating of 8 this season.

sitruc and luftmensch repped this.
  21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a rather glib dismissal of many valid critiques regarding this season. The people posting in here aren't "haters." Speaking for myself, I loved the show, and for 6 and a half seasons, I thought it was amazing. A lot of the disappointment for me derives from the fact that the show was so good for so long, thus the drop-off in the story-telling was really noticeable.

sitruc, malby, luftmensch and 2 others repped this.
  23. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Arya’s high point was revenge for the red wedding? How long ago was that? I was hoping to see some kind of inference to her ability this season. I mean killing the Night King was cool, but her conclusion felt unfinished. [emoji2369]

24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    It came apart mid book three because George stopped writing this plot. Instead, hes writing a place for others to play in. This is why the last two plot books are not coming out while the lore and place building books keep coming. I dont think George knows how to get to the 'end' (because this end is just another 20 years out of the history of this world) George is writing Planetos, not a story about this bunch.

I totally called Drogon knowing when someone killed Dany and melting the Iron Throne.

Belgian guy repped this.
  25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm sorry, but that is unfair. I did not go into this season hoping to hate the show. I love Game of Thrones. I just thought that the writing this season fell well short of the standards they had set in previous seasons.

Comparing that to incel anti-SJW rage-boys on the internet giving Captain Marvel a bad rating before they even saw the film is ludicrous.

MiLLeNNiuM, sitruc and luftmensch repped this.